GDEmu clones, many versions.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: GDEmu clones, many versions.

Post#11 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am

slivercr wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I literally got my clone right after they were on the market back in 2018, so I have the first batch of them. The Atomiswave games have all worked for me 100% no issues with a Kingston 4gb Class 4 microSD card. I am thinking it is more or less down to the SD card people are using as larger cards sometimes take longer to read data from as many people know. I have not even tested the Atomiswave games on my 128gb SandIsk card.

I mean, if my first gen clone is playing all of these games fine from a 4gb SD card, I am apt to think that it is larger cards affecting people. I am just sticking to what works for me, and for now until I fill the card up at least I will continue to play the Atomiswave games from this card since I have had the greatest luck so far with it.

It's all about 'sustained read speed', the small FAT32 table doesn't hurt either. A cluster size of 32k is right in GDEMU's sweet spot.

I'm using a 32GB Sandisk class 4 full sized card, FAT32 with 32k cluster size and a clone v5.15b GDEMU. Using the default unmodified game downloads, I've had zero lockups so far! (Knock wood).

If you have some time, could you leave KoFXI on attract mode for 1 hour or so? Just to see if it locks up?
I've had no luck with it or NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and my SD cards were all formatted like that. I'll try 64k clusters today.

kofxi - lockup after 12 min. in attract mode.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

slivercr
core

Post#12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am

MoeFoh wrote:kofxi - lockup after 12 min. in attract mode.

:(
64k clusters didn't work for me, either.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:05 am

slivercr wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:kofxi - lockup after 12 min. in attract mode.

:(
64k clusters didn't work for me, either.

I have no answer to random lockups. Maybe a MODE ODE, where there is support and firmware updates.

running ngbc now - still going after 25 min.

Reading through the kofxi topic page, it looks like plenty of people are having the same random lockup issue with a GDEMU.

ngbc - lockup after 50 min.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

shano
lithium

Post#14 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Yeah I suspect the people with GDEMU just have not played this KOFXI or NGBC long enough to notice the issues. This really hurts when trying to do 2 player versus haha. I'm sure megavolt and or yzb will take a look at the bugs in the conversions later down the road.

I've tried 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 64gb, 128gb, 200gb cards and what I can say is the 4gb(one i tested the most) is less prone to lockups than my 200gb card was.

Samurai Shodown & Dolphin Blue like to lockup in attract mode too.

slivercr
core

Post#15 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I literally got my clone right after they were on the market back in 2018, so I have the first batch of them. The Atomiswave games have all worked for me 100% no issues with a Kingston 4gb Class 4 microSD card. I am thinking it is more or less down to the SD card people are using as larger cards sometimes take longer to read data from as many people know. I have not even tested the Atomiswave games on my 128gb SandIsk card.

I mean, if my first gen clone is playing all of these games fine from a 4gb SD card, I am apt to think that it is larger cards affecting people. I am just sticking to what works for me, and for now until I fill the card up at least I will continue to play the Atomiswave games from this card since I have had the greatest luck so far with it.

First-gen clones are on 5.5, right?

Would you mind doing the test we've been doing, letting kofxi and ngbc in attract mode for 1h or so, to see if you get freezing?

slivercr
core

Post#16 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 pm

shano wrote:Yeah I suspect the people with GDEMU just have not played this KOFXI or NGBC long enough to notice the issues. This really hurts when trying to do 2 player versus haha. I'm sure megavolt and or yzb will take a look at the bugs in the conversions later down the road.

I've tried 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 64gb, 128gb, 200gb cards and what I can say is the 4gb(one i tested the most) is less prone to lockups than my 200gb card was.

Weird, Samurai Showdown and Dolphin Blue worked pretty solid for me, bar the bug of course. Will retest them now.

shano
lithium

Post#17 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:39 pm

slivercr wrote:
shano wrote:Yeah I suspect the people with GDEMU just have not played this KOFXI or NGBC long enough to notice the issues. This really hurts when trying to do 2 player versus haha. I'm sure megavolt and or yzb will take a look at the bugs in the conversions later down the road.

Weird, Samurai Showdown and Dolphin Blue worked pretty solid for me, bar the bug of course. Will retest them now.

I'm not sure on first gen clones but I ordered mine in 2019 and it's on 5.15.0 firmware, I also use a sd card extender with a 3D printed cover tray, wonder if that can cause issue? I've done that test many times on KOFXI with various sd cards, not so much on NGBC yet (will do so soon) :D sometimes can lockup in 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes.

Samurai Shodown I've not tested a whole bunch but attract mode locks up, but not in a match/gameplay from the little I've tried, but during the intros.

Dolphin Blue locks up in attract mode tested about 4 times it varies, and the first time I played it, it locked up after beating the 2nd boss just as the character is walking to the end of screen to transition to next stage.

The newer releases I've not had much time to test and such, but I will try get on to that sometime soon actually.
Last edited by shano on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

slivercr wrote:

First-gen clones are on 5.5, right?

Would you mind doing the test we've been doing, letting kofxi and ngbc in attract mode for 1h or so, to see if you get freezing?

Sure I will do it now while I am playing the Driver 2 PC port gonna let them sit in attract mode.

Edit: KOFXI lasted a full 45 mins or so in attract mode, but eventually did freeze. Ian says he thinks it has to be a memory leak, and that would make a lot of sense. But why is there one on the DC if the Atomiswave has the same specs? Not sure. But I am testing the other game now and will report back if it crashes.

Double Edit: Ok guys, just tested NGBC, and it indeed froze in attract mode after around 20-25 minutes or so. So indeed something is going on here.

slivercr
core

Post#19 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Anthony817 wrote:...
Edit: KOFXI lasted a full 45 mins or so in attract mode, but eventually did freeze. Ian says he thinks it has to be a memory leak, and that would make a lot of sense. But why is there one on the DC if the Atomiswave has the same specs? Not sure. But I am testing the other game now and will report back if it crashes.

Double Edit: Ok guys, just tested NGBC, and it indeed froze in attract mode after around 20-25 minutes or so. So indeed something is going on here.

Thanks for testing!

I'm really not trying to be difficult, I just want us to compile the most precise information we can in order to help megavolt85 and yzb when they start debugging.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Oh yeah man I totally get that. I don't think you are being difficult at all wanting to get to the bottom of it.