my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: VasiliyRS, deluxux

RobisMarshall
lithium
Posts: 38

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#11 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:21 pm

I have no expectations and don't think it is even possible, but I would love the lost world Jurassic Park arcade game. just cause it is my favourite arcade game and favourite system!

User avatar
WedgeStratos
dark night
Posts: 59
Contact:

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#12 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:48 am

To explain this as well (aka to reiterate), the REASON that Atomiswave happened like this is because it is literally is the Dreamcast with minimal rebuilding. The Atomiswave released in 2003 as a result of a massive warehouse of unsold Dreamcasts. An attempt to recoup costs from parent company CSK led to Sammy getting the Sega consoles and re-engineering them into... Atomiswave. This same thing exists with the more-obscure System SP. You can (and should) read more about it at the Dreamcast Junkyard.

These ports are happening because the hardware is that close to being 1:1. The Naomi, Hikaru, and Naomi 2, are different by contrast. They may have been developed with the same scope of Katana, but on the software and even hardware front, they're different to the extent that, as has been said enough now, porting to the Dreamcast will require disassembly, decompilation, translation, optimization, including compression of assets, and quite a lot more reprogramming. Doing so with Ghidra, while possible, would only happen "quickly" with the cooperation and communication of hundreds of intelligent individuals who have such talent. Super Mario 64 took actual years to be decompiled, and it still took nearly a year after the the decomp leaked in July 2019 for us to see a PC port (May 2020). The first preview of the port to Dreamcast? September 2020. Thanks much, mrneo.

We need a committed group of people to take the Naomi games and convert them. That will take years for even one game. Do not get your hopes up. If you want to make this dream into a Dreamcast, step up and contribute.

ianmoone
noob
Posts: 3

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#13 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:04 am

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone ever tried reverse engineering 'yu suzuki game works vol. 1' to see if the games are running through an emulator? If they are then we should be able to add different roms?

User avatar
Metro City
undertow
Posts: 31

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#14 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:42 am

Scud Race :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sunnshine
shadow
Posts: 11

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#15 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:11 pm

ianmoone wrote:Bit of a long shot, but has anyone ever tried reverse engineering 'yu suzuki game works vol. 1' to see if the games are running through an emulator? If they are then we should be able to add different roms?


This is going to sound really negative but you'd probably still only be able to play the games that Sega have released on Every Single Platform Ever (how many different ports of Super Scaler games, Altered Beast or Golden Axe do you think a person needs, eh Sega? :lol: Did you not think they might want to play Virtua Racing or Sega Rally Championship or SCUD Race instead? :x ), or games up that era which can be emulated on a potato now anyway.

User avatar
VincentNL
rebel
Posts: 16
Contact:

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#16 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:12 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:Naomi 1 the biggest hold back is twice the vram and main ram and 4x the sound ram. It isnt meant to stream stuff from disc instead either a memory board who loads the whole disc at once or really fast cart system. Even trying to rework the assets is hard because you have to reverse the custom texture formats and custom model formats and maybe even custom audio formats. It pretty common that even on the dreamcast developers didnt adhere to the standards and wrote their own custom stuff. So while this one might be possible its unrealistic to expect one person to do it.

Monkey Ball uses NLObjput format which is nearly reversed, can be imported in Blender (will start soon with the export addon) and shared between a plethora of games.

Image

As per textures and audio files it's just PVR / DTPK / SPSD.
You can read my latest reversing / hacking endeavours at:
https://www.patreon.com/naomimod

MarkCerny
shadow
Posts: 9

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#17 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Metro City wrote:Scud Race :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


It can be done. I will be. ;)

cloofoofoo
Prince of Persia
Posts: 347

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#18 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:27 pm

VincentNL wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:Naomi 1 the biggest hold back is twice the vram and main ram and 4x the sound ram. It isnt meant to stream stuff from disc instead either a memory board who loads the whole disc at once or really fast cart system. Even trying to rework the assets is hard because you have to reverse the custom texture formats and custom model formats and maybe even custom audio formats. It pretty common that even on the dreamcast developers didnt adhere to the standards and wrote their own custom stuff. So while this one might be possible its unrealistic to expect one person to do it.

Monkey Ball uses NLObjput format which is nearly reversed, can be imported in Blender (will start soon with the export addon) and shared between a plethora of games.

Image

As per textures and audio files it's just PVR / DTPK / SPSD.


That sounds good. What games use it? Spikers battle and such? But models are tiny compared to textures in size. The games still require reprogramming though.

User avatar
WedgeStratos
dark night
Posts: 59
Contact:

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#19 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:52 pm

Important to note, if we're talking Monkey Ball: Naomi had a GD-ROM add-on board. Monkey Ball released on GD-ROM format.

cloofoofoo
Prince of Persia
Posts: 347

Re: my hopes future dreamcast arcade ports

Post#20 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Important to note, if we're talking Monkey Ball: Naomi had a GD-ROM add-on board. Monkey Ball released on GD-ROM format.


Yeah but naomi doesn't stream from the gdrom though. Its all cached in some side memory unlike dc.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users