Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Post#51 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 pm

azel wrote:I must be in the minority that thinks Tomb Raider 1 looks much better without texture filtering, similar to Quake 1.

Lol I love you dude, but you are going counter intuitively to most gamers. You wanted 240p on Gens4All and don't like this? It has a PC version that is hardware accelerated and enhances it so why not take advantage of the power of the DC and utilize it here? I mean I get it, crunchy graphics and all is an aesthetic some people like and I understand that opinion. I don't want filtering on 2D sprites, but I sure as hell do on 3D games. I mean I took one look at PC and N64 games as a kid and knew it was the future. There will be an option to disable it, but why not have it as a selectable feature since it is already hardware accelerated? I thought the whole point about hardware accelerated ports of games was to make them look nicer? I mean look at official Bleem games, hardware accelerated GT2 with bilinear filtering and AA while in 480P looks beautiful. Obviously beauty is subjective, but just sharing my thoughts.

Anyways, your opinion is not wrong by any means but just wanted to say some thoughts on it.

azel
fire

Post#52 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Haha 240p Genesis shouldn’t be controversial, it’s how it looks on original hardware.

GLQuake isn’t superior looking either, just because you can use hardware acceleration to smooth the textures doesn’t mean you should. Quake 1 has some of the finest pixel art of all time, filtering it ruins the look. Obviously I’m not the only one who thinks this seeing as that recent official Quake 1 port has filtering off by default.

This isn’t some weird opinion with TR either, I’m a massive fan of the game and a large portion of the community considers the ps1 version the best way to play.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#53 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm

I am not saying you are wrong lol. But yes even on the PC port you have to use mods to enable PSX and Saturn music. So they are for sure superior there.

The OG Xbox port of OpenLara is pretty amazing, it has pretty much all enhancements and great twin analog controls and runs at 720p. But yeah no right or wrong way, if you like it that way it is by no means wrong. That is the great thing, we can still play it how we like by enabling options. Plus I am happy for you that Tapamn added 240p option to Gens4All.

azel
fire

Post#54 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Anthony817 wrote:IPlus I am happy for you that Tapamn added 240p option to Gens4All.

Wait what? Well looks like I have some testing to do :D

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#55 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Oh wtf? You didn't know? Haha yes bro he literally just added it! Go check here!

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 74#p160874

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#56 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 am

Anthony817 wrote:Seems HiStat stopped working on it...

seems not, his latest src modify has been 5 hours ago ;)
at least i hope he does not quit

every DC developer should be preserved :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#57 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:07 am

kremiso wrote:

that's it, we must take care of you :D

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#58 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:34 am

kremiso wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Seems HiStat stopped working on it...

seems not, his latest src modify has been 5 hours ago ;)
at least i hope he does not quit

Only not official modding and testing this is Histats port

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Post#59 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 am

So it not yet available that improved version? Ú_Ù

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#60 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 pm

Esppiral wrote:So it not yet available that improved version? Ú_Ù

Not yet texture filtering on or off is in the menu we no longer use ps1 assets so much cleaner right now