Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Greg2600
dark night

Re: Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Post#171 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 pm

qupe75 wrote:The thing with Adam's review is he got it for free.

I backed the game. I have issues with it for a fair few reasons, I've had save issues, lap time issues, the opposition stay on one route and don't move from it....Also as backers we didn't all get what we backed so were sold short again there.

The vehicles may look different but there is no difference in their speed. All vehicles have a top speed of 196. It just feels like the last part of the game was rushed and they let some silly bugs and issues get through. I like racing games but this one doesn't make me want to go back and there is no incentive to once complete, which takes under 2 hours. I think DCJY hit the nail on the head with a few points.... it's just DULL.

Joshprod are doing a version of this game for the some of the current gen machines so no doubt you'll see improvements, hopefully they'll give it that injection of excitement it needs.

Hmm, so the nuts and bolts are as lackluster as the visuals, which I was panned here for saying.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#172 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:06 pm

What does "authentic Dreamcast experience" even mean? My Dreamcast experience is usually bug-free, well designed games with some depth. So does that mean my experience is otherwise inauthentic or better games are inauthentic?

(I'm just giving you shit, but it's a stupid, broad stroke descriptor from Adam).

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#174 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 am

I also forgot to mention that one of the cars has a Spartan helmet logo on it, and it looks like they stole the logo from Michigan State University and just altered it a bit.

edit: Ok, it doesn't look like embedded link text wants to work. The shot of the car from the game is in The Dreamcast Junkyard's review. Obviously MSU's Spartan logo can just be searched for.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#175 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 am

In my memories, they had released 3000 copies of the game. It remains 566 games.
It means the game is well selling ?

ELJarrodo
shadow

Post#176 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:22 am

DCGX wrote:I also forgot to mention that one of the cars has a Spartan helmet logo on it, and it looks like they stole the logo from Michigan State University and just altered it a bit.

edit: Ok, it doesn't look like embedded link text wants to work. The shot of the car from the game is in The Dreamcast Junkyard's review. Obviously MSU's Spartan logo can just be searched for.

Pretty sure given how common Spartan logos are you can get away with slight alterations. My high school's was basically MSU's logo with a change or two. Also if you look at Case Western Reserve Universities logo it has the same basic concept.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#177 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:42 pm

ELJarrodo wrote:
DCGX wrote:I also forgot to mention that one of the cars has a Spartan helmet logo on it, and it looks like they stole the logo from Michigan State University and just altered it a bit.

Pretty sure given how common Spartan logos are you can get away with slight alterations. My high school's was basically MSU's logo with a change or two. Also if you look at Case Western Reserve Universities logo it has the same basic concept.

I'm guessing there's an agreement with other schools that they can either use something similar if they aren't a college or if they were used before hand they can continue to use it, because it's all copyrighted otherwise. You can read about it on MSU's website.

But my larger point is that the line between homage and copyright/IP infringement is so blurred with this game. On one hand it's a tribute, but on the other there's a real lack of originality.

teargasbaby
noob

Post#178 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 am

I search it for download?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#179 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:41 am

teargasbaby wrote:I search it for download?

Sorry, we do not give downloads for Indie games on this site, lest we kill the Indie community.

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Post#180 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:30 pm

teargasbaby wrote:I search it for download?

Yeahhhh, nooooo. Off you pop.
https://youtu.be/XcyBq8vZ3Yg <----- Dreamcast gameplay videos