Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Utra64
rebel

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post#41 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 am

I wonder if any prototype stuff will ever surface for this. Just to see a glimpse of what they were working on would blow my mind!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#42 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 am

Will not be me but i said that from the start.. unless some one wants to fit the bill of millions in a legal team when i get sued

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#43 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 am

Dreamcast didn't need GTA 3 nor Max Payne nor MGS 2 not even Half Life! Press Junket Hype. Rockstar gave us Wild Metal while the PS2 got Oni that's really a low blow to ever think they were ever interested in this system. Over time the Dreamcast would had its own ICO just had Castlevania and Galleon as they were meant to have built up for.

Nutcase363
noob

Post#44 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 pm

GTA 3 would be amazing on the Dreamcast, we need it :mrgreen:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#45 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:33 pm

Unfortunately, Sony wins this time (puking while typing).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

cast128dreams
minority

Post#46 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 am

We gonna watch it running someday beleive it or not.just like we watched sonic 1 on snes ....

DialecticChaos13
rebel

Post#47 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 am

Maybe someday someone can make a 3D view mod for GTA2 on the Dreamcast.
Probably the Dreamcast can handle that and i dont think it is illegal because its a mod for a game that already exists on the Dc.

Conatus
dark night

Post#48 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am

It's not exactly a GTA3 and it would be missing a lot, but the motorcycle rides around the city in Headhunter make it clear that there could be a version of GTA for the Dreamcast. I don't know if a GT3 with worse graphics or an original version.

There are games on PSX that already recreate open worlds like Driver, Driver 2, Mizzurna Falls, Italian Job, etc. And also in NDS where we have a GTA adapted to it despite being somewhat more powerful than an N64.

So I don't see any doubt that Dreamcast could have open world games, obviously they would have to be designed with the machine as a reference.

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#49 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:39 pm

'Urban Chaos' on the Dreamcast undoubtedly shows that a GTA 3 type game can be done. Modding that title could be the way to go, especially since the Dreamcast game is a WinCE port of the PC version.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#50 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm

The problem with that game, is the draw distance is very bad, and I don't even think there are any costom mods for Urban Chaos that add new models.

The only mod I see for it is a simple AI upscale mod.

https://www.moddb.com/games/urban-chaos/addons

In order for the game to be a good candidate one would need to reverse engineer all of the archives in the game and be able to rebuild them for one to be able to change anything. Then you have to research how the model formats are and how to create and export new content for it. As a modder myself I can tell you it is a lot of work that normally requires a huge community behind to do something like that. Sure we are already seeing ways to replace or add new models into Dreamcast games made with Katana SDK made by a few people. But the appeal of Windows CE games and mods means there needs to be a whole foundation to mod first of all. Half-Life is a wildly popular game with tons of mods for it. This is why modding HLDC is such a breeze.

I think we may be better off doing like others have suggested, modding GTA 2 with camera perspective mods. Or, like I think is more plausible, porting Driver 2 over since it is a PSX game that would allow for much more expandability on the Dreamcast and source code was just reverse engineered for it not too long ago. Pushing that game further on DC with more detailed car models would be a great thing to see. Plus now the developers have fully converted Driver 1 maps and brought them over to that game too. So it can have those as well as all new maps made form those assets. Driver car physics were some of the best around especially for that time.