Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post#31 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 am

Dreamcazman wrote:
willis wrote:What's so crappy about it? just all the load times? I found the version perfectly fine even with all the loading ha!

The load times were quite atrocious plus the controls. Not so much a fault of the port, but having only one analogue stick, the DC controller isn't the best when it comes to FPS's.

what the keyboard and mouse were for :) dont need 2 sticks not for me anyways did not grow up in that gen

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#32 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:29 am

Ian Micheal wrote:dont need 2 sticks not for me anyways did not grow up in that gen

Neither did I but once you're used to it (blame Halo, lol), it's hard to go back.

cast128dreams
minority

Post#33 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm

It would be possible 100% BUT everything would be downscaled to fit into ram and there will be more loading times.

galaxygod
core

Post#34 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 pm

new here, would this be easier with the 32mb ram upgrade? i just saw this thread about it and didnt see anyone talking about it here as a possible sollution

viewtopic.php?t=13039

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#35 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Not any more
https://github.com/GTAmodding/re3
The update reports to be submitted by Take-Two Interactive, and states that all related content has been requested for takedown. The request states that the “best and only solution” for the project to abide by DMCA laws is the “complete removal of the aforementioned pages.”

A video showcase witch covers the projects has been created by YouTuber RacingFreaking, which shows the improvements made to both GTA3 and Vice City – watch it below.

Aap – the lead developer of the project – confirmed to Eurogamer that they had received a DMCA from Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of GTA developers Rockstar Games.

ADVERTISING

The project is currently unavailable on Github, and instead there is a DMCA request, which states: “This repository is currently disabled due to a DMCA takedown notice. We have disabled public access to the repository. The notice has been publicly posted.”

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#36 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:01 pm

It could be ported.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#37 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 am

So the lads working on the GTA3 mods got hit with a DMCA - that's a real shame. The game must be what nearly 20 years old by now. Even Nintendo have turned a blind eye to the Mario64 stuff which a but if a surprise considering they went after the incredible c64 version of SMB's last year but what can you do - was gutted when Sega went after the SOR fan remake a few years back.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#38 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am

mrneo240 wrote:It could be ported.

Given what you achieved with Mario 64 just you saying this gives me hope that we might see someone give GTA a go.

I loved GTA 1 & 2 and the third game was the last of the series that I played and enjoyed. I could never get into the games from Vice City onwards which is slightly at odds with most folk I think :?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#39 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 am

I'm still working on skies of arcadia uncensored version but since it's done I'm ready to help the crazy man who have enough knowedge to try something.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#40 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 am

Won't be me.