Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post#21 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:00 pm

I still don't see what that has to do with Dreamshell? If you mean the GDEMU, IDE Mod and USB-GDROM or MODE, all of the alternative loading methods then yeah there is at least up to 2gb size images possible. But those still are running either .GDI, .CDI or similar format.

So like what Ian said, there is less of an issue about physical size of the game image, and more about what you can cram into the system memory at a time to run. Like he mentioned it is within the realm of possibility with heavy optimizations. But you would likely need a team of people to handle a project of this scope. Also it would need to be done with the Katana SDK to try and get running as optimally as possible. If people tried to port it with Windows CE it would likely not have half a chance of running well.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#22 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:26 pm

If you put a team of devs on the payroll.. guys like bluecrab, Ian, mrneo240, megavolt and the dude behind that GL library to name a few..
And pay each of them 6k a month to make 'm work full time.. then I'm sure you'll eventually get GTA 3...

Otherwise no..

Lets face it, we all love our Dreamcast and it was a fast system for its time capable of doing nice graphics.

But Sega decided to cut the RAM and video memory in half.. fukkin 16megs of RAM and no physical storage for use as swap space and a very slow disc reader.

That gave developers nightmares..

They should have listened to the American CEO and gave it at least a HDD (and preferably 32Megs of RAM).
Then we would have seen much greater games..

sidnei55
rebel

Post#23 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:32 pm

hopefully it is possible :)

moon.sarito1
undertow

Post#24 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:34 am

Just out of curiosity, but they ported GTA Sandreas to the Playstation Vita.

Unlike the GTA 3 port for Vita, Wii U, Switch and etc... this is not based on the PC version but on the Android version, apparently this is due to the Android version being lighter and having less textures quality.

It's still a prototype and it's nowhere near the performance of Vita's GTA 3, but I found it interesting to post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXbOyF4VdT4

I really dream that one of these ports will be able to go to Dreamcast someday ( Come on, even the 3DS is in line to receive a GTA 3 port ), although I find that quite impossible for now.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:38 am

Ps vita is about 3 times or 4 times more powerful then a ps2 or dreamcast.. code it for the dreamcast from ground up yes but never a port of a more powerful system with massive texture bus way more advanced gpu

Do you know how powerful the ps vita really is even the psp is more powerful then the dreamcast on quite a few levels

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#26 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:40 am

Play the Xbox version, it's basically a DC2 after all. :lol:

But like Half-Life, it's nice that the DC can run the game (sort of), but who would actually play such a crappy version of it?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#27 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:10 am

from year to year I observe the same picture, another dreamer comes and raises the topic of GTA3 :lol:
dear dreamers, at least start doing something, otherwise it will like in a Russian proverb "дурень думкой богатеет" (sorry, this is not a translatable proverb) :twisted:

willis
letterbomb

Post#28 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:31 am

Dreamcazman wrote: But like Half-Life, it's nice that the DC can run the game (sort of), but who would actually play such a crappy version of it?

What's so crappy about it? just all the load times? I found the version perfectly fine even with all the loading ha!

megavolt85 wrote:from year to year I observe the same picture, another dreamer comes and raises the topic of GTA3 :lol:
dear dreamers, at least start doing something, otherwise it will like in a Russian proverb "дурень думкой богатеет" (sorry, this is not a translatable proverb) :twisted:

megavolt that is exactly right. The Dreamcast just needs more people to dive into dev and then maybe a project like that can come to life one day. I know people want to hear that it can be done and can do it right away. But they need to realize what an undertaking it would be and the amount of hours and people to group together to do it.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#29 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:53 am

megavolt85 wrote:from year to year I observe the same picture, another dreamer comes and raises the topic of GTA3 :lol:

It's almost your fault this time with the arcade hardware port/conversions they seen that the noobs and think anything can happen..

lol :) :ugeek:

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#30 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 am

willis wrote:What's so crappy about it? just all the load times? I found the version perfectly fine even with all the loading ha!

The load times were quite atrocious plus the controls. Not so much a fault of the port, but having only one analogue stick, the DC controller isn't the best when it comes to FPS's.