Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

romanalerif
Fancy Pants Admin

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post by romanalerif »

fafadou wrote:For Dreamcast the game must be optimise for Dreamcast 8Mb vram and gdrom. Probably a four discs.
Well iOS version of GTA3 is just 704 Mb so disk space is not an issue. But RAM memory or CPU may be the bottleneck

AtomicPunk
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Just ask me and ill go and buy the game just to play my dreamcast online

Post by AtomicPunk »

Don’t forget headhunter

Shenmue and Headhunter, even driver on PS1 prove GTA 3 is more than possible on Dreamcast but Shenmue and Headhunter especially prove this

I’m amazed nobodys even tried to port the open source GTA yet. At best you might have to tweak viewing distance or resolution a bit maybe the amounts of traffic or people but no reason GTA3 wouldn’t work on DC.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post by Motoracer5 »

AtomicPunk wrote:Don’t forget headhunter

Shenmue and Headhunter, even driver on PS1 prove GTA 3 is more than possible on Dreamcast but Shenmue and Headhunter especially prove this

I’m amazed nobodys even tried to port the open source GTA yet. At best you might have to tweak viewing distance or resolution a bit maybe the amounts of traffic or people but no reason GTA3 wouldn’t work on DC.
Why don't you do it if it's so easy? Sounds like you know a lot about Dreamcast development :lol:

Maztr_0n
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing Just Yet... But Likely 4x4 Evo will be First!

Post by Maztr_0n »

honestly i wouldnt be surprised if those very early and colorful alpha screenshots were at least partially from remnants of the dreamcast version, i think perhaps the game would work better on DC if its not at all possible to reasonably do it in proper third person 3D is perhaps to make it a little more like GTA: Chinatown Wars, something where its more 3D intensive than GTA1&2 but optimized with some 2D assets and allowing for cinematic camera angles and things like that. Honestly sounds nicer to play than a heavily optimized port because even if it was possible, it would have probably come on like 3 discs, and that just seems overkill for a game that feels so unrestrictive!
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

DreamcastFreak
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None so far

Post by DreamcastFreak »

Green Ranger wrote:'Urban Chaos' on the Dreamcast undoubtedly shows that a GTA 3 type game can be done. Modding that title could be the way to go, especially since the Dreamcast game is a WinCE port of the PC version.
Super runabout would be way more comparable in my opinion. Even maybe some sort of mod of crazy taxi, lol

https://youtu.be/ZlqIaBuUxwI?si=bi1IfUg4qdeMXhXY

DreamcastFreak
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None so far

Post by DreamcastFreak »

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:
MastaG wrote:At least GTA 3 and Vice City have pretty complete opensource ports available, re3 and reVC using librw.
They were taken offline by Take Two but there are lots of forks on GitHub.
They run fine on Linux (tested this myself on Odroid XU4 running Fedora 36) and many other systems, even 3DS.

So I'd say clone the source and start porting using Kos.
The Dreamcast can barely run the port of Mario 64, it will hardly be able to run gta3. RAM memory always runs out before the processor power is exhausted on the Dreamcast, this is inevitable
M64 is a cartridge game, it was never made to run off a disk. Totally different approaches to streaming info. Besides, you make it seam as if DC didn't already prove it could do games many times the size of M64, lol

Maztr_0n
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing Just Yet... But Likely 4x4 Evo will be First!

Post by Maztr_0n »

AtomicPunk wrote:Don’t forget headhunter

Shenmue's a bit odd to compare to GTA3, they're both open worlds but Shenmue emphasizes the Adventure aspect more than the Action of GTA3, with that there is much more to focus on in terms of physics, ai, damages, ETC. Headhunter is a bit closer but the driving sections only had you on that one singular bike, if you must then its more like Driver 1 in that instance than Driver 2 or GTA3. but that game is way more based on those MGS style Stealth Sections.

I am not claiming to be a tech person but thats why i just think its a bit weird to compare vaguely similar games to something that had very nuanced differences, but i mean i wouldn't be surprised if with a LOT of optimizations and the like that GTA3/VC would be possible, but it would likely be quite different to the PS2 version. Not as much as something like a Saturn Demake but theres a lot to account for that i couldn't imagine, simulant and the recompilation are quite recent, so its probably gonna need a large undertaking, if you really wanna see it then i'd just say go ahead and try it yourself.
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

Esppiral
BFG-10K

Post by Esppiral »

Of course it would be possible, anything can be ported optimizing for the target platform, I mean the psx got PS2 ports and the switch has a lot of PS4 ports.

And the difference of power between those platforms is way bigger than ps2 vs Dreamcast

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Esppiral wrote:Of course it would be possible, anything can be ported optimizing for the target platform, I mean the psx got PS2 ports and the switch has a lot of PS4 ports.

And the difference of power between those platforms is way bigger than ps2 vs Dreamcast
Of course no idea why people think it could not and silly it cant do it in 3D and silly NEW or dev saying
he could only do it in FPS mode give me a break ..

Point why we dont have it is none of us want to cell mate and being someones bitch and watching when we drop the soap.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post by Ryo_Hazuki »

I'm not sure how much the San Francisco game map loads in the Dreamcast's memory, but I suspect it's not completely loaded, we have another example of a game with a city map that we can explore, which is the game "Tokyo bus", this The game has a large map and also has cars with transparent windows and is visually interesting.