[DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Xrider
undertow

Re: [DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter!

Post#51 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:41 am

Hello,

New batch it's available on ebay :
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/334037630638
Last edited by Xrider on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#52 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:11 am

Is it just me, or are these atomiswave network cards not quite as cheap as they were a few months ago? I'm only seeing 2 on ebay right now, and both of them are over $70 including shipping.

Considering that the kit costs $35 (including shipping to the US), along with the $8 for a doner modem, it would be about $113 for me to assemble one of these, which is only about $15 less than the cheapest BBA I see on ebay right now.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#53 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 am

Ragfish wrote:Is it just me, or are these atomiswave network cards not quite as cheap as they were a few months ago? I'm only seeing 2 on ebay right now, and both of them are over $70 including shipping.

Considering that the kit costs $35 (including shipping to the US), along with the $8 for a doner modem, it would be about $113 for me to assemble one of these, which is only about $15 less than the cheapest BBA I see on ebay right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price is increasing. The probably all got bought up once the homebrew/retro sites started reporting these things to be a "cheap BBA alternative."

Especially with niche items such as this, its pretty easy, and not uncommon, for someone to buy up as many as possible and start manipulating the average sell price.

nico7550
shadow

Post#54 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:15 am

I will wait for a version that can be integrated in the existing shell, I cannot have such a dev adapter near my TV... my girl will not allow it ! ;-)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#55 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:51 pm

nico7550 wrote:I will wait for a version that can be integrated in the existing shell, I cannot have such a dev adapter near my TV... my girl will not allow it ! ;-)

Not going to happen. This is literally an existing board from the Atomiswave arcade machine. Nobody produces new boards for this, it just so happens with the adapter it works since the Dreamcast and Atomiswave are literally the same architecture more so than even the Naomi or Naomi 2 arcade machines which share the same architecture.

You are going to be waiting forever unless somebody comes out with a brand new BBA board, which seems unlikely since you know, we already have DreamPI which is compatible with ALL online games already unlike this. So there is literally not as much demand for somehting like that since it literally can only play a fraction of the online library compared to the modem which supports them all.

willis
letterbomb

Post#56 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Yep, what Anthony stated....

Just go the DreamPi way as you can play all the games using it. Also supporting pcwzrd would be great

Xrider
undertow

Post#57 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:24 am

Happy new year everybody :)

RightSprite UK
lithium

Post#58 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:48 am

Great job , also good for the dc community to star getting back online with the retro pie method , Is there a all ready assembled kit to experience a plug and play factor with this ?? . Kind regards Jay

bLiGhTy
shadow

Post#59 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 am

I recently bought a bba from Japan for my Dreamcast & am wondering if the dreampi method still involves the dial up modem making all that noise? It's been a long time since I've heard a dial up modem doing it's thing, always remember it being unbearable and almost useless at night time when I need to be quiet.

Tempeted to get one as well.

RetroAMS
undertow

Post#60 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:15 am

Sadly you can't hear the modem handshaking pops and whistles with dreampi, completely silent