[DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Xrider
undertow

[DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter!

Post#1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello,

I just finished one of a project that was close to my heart.
I wanted a BBA for my dreamcast, but seeing the abusive prices, I decided to find an alternative solution.

To find the solution without FPGA emulation, I had to go back in time in the year 2000, and look at what sega was working on, hoping to find something to reproduce the BBA ... and it seemed obvious to me that the Naomi as well as the 'Atomiswave are the big sisters of our dreamcast ...

So I discovered the Atomiswave, and I worked on it to understand how the beast worked ... like the dreamcast!
Yes, the atomiswave is neither more nor less than a dreamcast in which we removed the GDROM to put a cartridge port :-D
So guess what? the removable network adapter in your atomiswave ... it's a BBA: autop:

EUREKA, I found it!
It's a world first, it's MADE IN FRANCE

It took me many hours of research and testing to trace all the signals, but I succeeded: honor:

Long live the dreamcast at 100Mbps

Edit :

New assembly tutorial video is available :

The kit BBA Converter DIY is now available on ebay :
Hello,

New batch it's available on ebay :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335005466500
Last edited by Xrider on Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:42 am, edited 11 times in total.

moi
blackout!

Re: [DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter!

Post#2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:35 pm

How much would you sell a kit for?

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Nice work man!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Only saw your thread about this 2 days ago at Obscure. Still blown away by how stupid easy and foolproof this mod is. I still am shocked it is so easy to do. But the Atomiswave was practically a Dreamcast spec wise so it actually makes so much sense that Sammy would repurpose the same hardware in Arcade Cabinets.

That begs the question, why have those games still not been made to work on the DC lol? On the Naomi and Naomi 2 I can understand, it has more video and audio memory on top of standard memory. So good luck with that.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:25 am

I saw that at obscure gamers, but I'm not registered there to comment. Very cool to see this actually happened. I am actually kind of curious how widespread these devices are. Especially since we have to sacrifice one device for another. I have seen them being sold on ebay now, along with a few AUS and JP sites selling them directly. How much time/money/effort will it take to do this mod? It may not be the "homebrew" BBA the scene has always wanted, but at least it's something.

Since we have DreamPis running the online scene these days, I really want to see BBAs be able to find their way more easily / cheaper into the hands of devs who need them.

gilvan666
lithium

Post#7 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm

It would be incredible to be able to manufacture to sell for an affordable price. congratulations on your dedication to the project.
Dreamcast NTSC, MOD BIOS, MOD VGA, MOD IDE.

Xrider
undertow

Post#8 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:27 am

Thank you all for your interest in my work.
I ordered some kits to assemble yourself, I will put them on sale soon.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#9 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:22 pm

You can get the communication boards for $20 US right now, free shipping! More than 10 available. Sold 4 in the last 24 hours. $20 BBA anyone?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/392968595886

RetroAMS
undertow

Post#10 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Holy smokes, I'm sold on giving this a punt. Will be intersted in buying a kit when they go up on sale. Will keep a keen eye on this thread.

Ordered one of the $20 boards meantime. Love an excuse to get the soldering gear out.

Nice job figuring this out

:D