Adapter for MAPLE (Release)

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

LackofTrack0
noob

Re: Adapter for MAPLE (Release)

Post#231 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:28 am

megavolt85 wrote:
2) firmware with support GameCube controller
pinout same as on first page, for GC used pins

view of the controller socket on the front of the console, looking into the socket
gc-socket.png

Code: Select all

GC         STM
1 Vcc   -> +5V
2 DATA  -> PA_15
3 GND   -> GND
4 GND   -> GND
5 nc
6 Vdd   -> +3.3V

hotkeys:
START+Z+A - Standart controller (default)
START+Z+X - all buttons and axes
START+Z+Y - Twin Stick mode

SMPMK2DC.7z

P.S. Twin Stick mode tested in Cyber Troopers Virtual-On and it's really greate

The Left Joystick is bit glitched. Testing with Sonic Adventure, fully moving the joystick in any direction makes the character move very slow. Also the camera keeps going to weird angles like the Triggers are being pressed.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#232 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:52 am

@LackofTrack0 I think that the problem is in your controller, most likely the sticks are badly worn out
I just tested a regular Dreamcast controller and a Gamecube controller in Sonic Adventure, they work exactly the same

HugoCraft
shadow

Post#233 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 pm

I took an existing 3d model/stl file for holding the STM32 board and remixed it to have a spot to hold the ps/2 ports that I got. Then added another spot to zip tie down the controller cable. I'm still a novice with 3d modeling with tinkercad but I'm about to start learning freecad soon.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4794778

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#234 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:12 pm

https://hackaday.com/tag/dreamcast/

Hackaday giving a well deserved shout out to Mr Megavolt85 and his maple wizardry.

soniccd123
dark night

Post#235 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 pm

Hey people, I need your kind help with some information, really need to hear if any of you got the Adapter's VMU correctly working.

I've build this project been sometime now, made a PCB and everything, It seems that a lot of connection problems have been solved after that, but I'm having problems with the VMU operations

The problems:

1) Using a 25PE16, only 8 of the 16 VMUs are really available, the others simply doesn't show
2) The available ones fail formating through the Dreamcast bios, After rebooting the system, the formated VMUs show 0 blocks available.
3) Formating through VMU tool fail too, but after reboot, the VMU show correctly with all the blocks available
4) Saving game to the VMUs formated in #3 wont work all the time, almost always give a fail message but it clear and saves if the STM32 is reset.
5) Copying a file from the Adapter VMU to a real VMU works flawlesly, but copying a file from a real VMU to the adapter always fail and corrupt the file, sometimes the whole adapter's VMU.
6) I've bough 5x 25PE16, but all from the same lot. All of them show the same problems with varied degrees. I suspect they maybe bad, but need to be sure.

I want to know if somebody has been able to use the adapter's VMU, formating, saving games, etc, without these problems. I need to know because I suspect that maybe all my 25PE16 are bad, if so I will buy new ones from a new supplier, but before that, I would like to know if this is really the case.

Thanks,

Soniccd123.

RazorX
brutal

Post#236 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm

soniccd123 wrote:Hey people, I need your kind help with some information, really need to hear if any of you got the Adapter's VMU correctly working.

I've build this project been sometime now, made a PCB and everything, It seems that a lot of connection problems have been solved after that, but I'm having problems with the VMU operations

The problems:

1) Using a 25PE16, only 8 of the 16 VMUs are really available, the others simply doesn't show
2) The available ones fail formating through the Dreamcast bios, After rebooting the system, the formated VMUs show 0 blocks available.
3) Formating through VMU tool fail too, but after reboot, the VMU show correctly with all the blocks available
4) Saving game to the VMUs formated in #3 wont work all the time, almost always give a fail message but it clear and saves if the STM32 is reset.
5) Copying a file from the Adapter VMU to a real VMU works flawlesly, but copying a file from a real VMU to the adapter always fail and corrupt the file, sometimes the whole adapter's VMU.
6) I've bough 5x 25PE16, but all from the same lot. All of them show the same problems with varied degrees. I suspect they maybe bad, but need to be sure.

I want to know if somebody has been able to use the adapter's VMU, formating, saving games, etc, without these problems. I need to know because I suspect that maybe all my 25PE16 are bad, if so I will buy new ones from a new supplier, but before that, I would like to know if this is really the case.

Thanks,

Soniccd123.

the board i made works perfectly, it depends how you've set yours up and how long the cable is etc, i also recommend plugging it into a different port other than port 1 and have a normal controller with a vmu plugged into port 1.

this is my board i made for vmu emulation only: (as well as the backup restore functions)

massiva
noob

Post#237 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello all.

That is awesome very well designed project, but i am very bad at soldering.

I don't really know if this the right place, but I was searching for alternatives and I stumble up on this:

https://github.com/charcole/Dreamcast-PopnMusic

the thing is I am as bad with coding...my question is it easy to change the code to completely emulate a Dreamcast controller?

It is powered by the raspberry pi pico that costs around €4.20. I can see it as a solution to piggyback any controller, or to create custom controllers with 2Mb integrated emulated VMU.

Is this the same kind of wizardry as megavolt85 done? Should a noob like me even think about accomplish this?

werejag
noob

Post#238 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am

how is the pcb coming along?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#239 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:55 pm

BUMP

Who's got a Saturn + VMU for sale!

rpf16rj
shadow

Post#240 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Great job megavolt85, this Adapter is awaresome.
I have a question. I buy a spi memory m25p40. This work?
Or only m25pe?

Do is possible use vmu emulator on same time with play station pad with the scheme of first page?

Thanks.