Alternate Dreamcast backend for ScummVM

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

tsowell
rebel

Re: Alternate Dreamcast backend for ScummVM

Post#41 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 pm

I finally got a chance to figure out a process for burning CDs on Windows. It uses the DreamSDK binaries for mkisofs and cdi4dc. I hope that makes this a little more accessible.

I've also been thinking about creating a separate SD-oriented release. If you're loading the plugins and game data from an SD card, the CD image can be prebuilt because it only needs to have the main binary.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#42 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

i have posted a Riven attempt in the download section :

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11952&p=133124#p133124

it uses your latest release, and i made it just to check if the gamesave is ok with your backend
let me know :)

EDIT : link removed, it seems this game variant does not work using this backend (black screen on launch)
first attempt : failure
Last edited by kremiso on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#43 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:24 am

Well done ! :-)
It needs a whole vmu ?

I'll try it soon, I download it, but as always I have to repack it for dreamshell.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#44 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am

fafadou wrote:Well done ! :-)
It needs a whole vmu ?

I'll try it soon, I download it, but as always I have to repack it for dreamshell.

on the standard one, it requires around 41 blocks per save,
i presume should be more or less the same with this

i'll wait curious about your test, thanks :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#45 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:25 am

Probably I did something wrong, the scummVM menu start but I didn't find the game in the menu...
For Bargon Attack inside there was a folder in the iso, I must extract and put it in the sd card.

It looks you have built this summvm for Riven like a "classic" scummVM game, is it possible to build Riven like you've done for Bargon Attack inside ?

Or maybe I didn't open the game via the menu ?...

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#46 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 am

Probably I did something wrong, the scummVM menu start but I didn't find the game in the menu...
For Bargon Attack inside there was a folder in the iso, I must extract and put it in the sd card.

It looks you have built this summvm for Riven like a "classic" scummVM game, is it possible to build Riven like you've done for Bargon Attack inside ?

Or maybe I didn't be able to open the game via the scummVM menu ?...

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#47 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:34 am

fafadou wrote:Probably I did something wrong, the scummVM menu start but I didn't find the game in the menu...

Or maybe I didn't open the game via the menu ?...

i have built this exactly like bargon one, the folder containing riven datafiles is called simply 'riven'
perhaps the engine cannot detects it ... we have found something tsowell need to check too :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#48 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 am

ok so I'll check the riven folder.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#49 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:28 am

fafadou wrote:ok so I'll check the riven folder.

maybe you need to copy the riven folder on your sd card before, like you have done with bargon
the only difference with this riven attempt and the bargon one is in the ScummDC release used,
probably some changes perhaps ? don't know

prob on sd card users it's better to divide the work in two :
- one .cdi file with the ScummDC and the required plugin/s
- the folder/s with the gamefiles you want try, that need to be copied on sd to be detected by the engine
don't know x2 :)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#50 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am

I tried this on every dreamcast emulator nulldc demul flycast redream dev reicast just to be complete chakcast lol all stuck at sega screen.. I know it's been said it dont like these emulators but why does it do this? any thoughts