DreamSNES or SNES4ALL Beta 2 ?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

KmusDC
fire

DreamSNES or SNES4ALL Beta 2 ?

Post#1 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Hey guy... friends i want to read opinions.
Until today I always had a little positive concept regarding the emulation of SNES in Dreamcast, I had only tried with DreamSNES 1.9.8 and SNES4ALL Beta1... I knew there was a SNES4ALL beta2 but I had not tested it until now.
I always believed that Dreamcast was not capable of moving SNES decently, or at least playable. I am in awe of the performance of the SNES4ALL Beta2, a big jump over beta1 and even DreamSNES. (The only thing that is surpassed by its competitor would be the sound), being a little less fluid in this... Someone has a different opinion or knows some specific configuration or version of the DreamSNES that works so well in terms of fps than the SNES4ALL Beta 2? I ask why most people put DreamSNES as the best DC emulator for SNES. Maybe I'm missing trying something. Something that I have not read or seen. Cheers

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: DreamSNES or SNES4ALL Beta 2 ?

Post#2 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11909

Follow these settings when using this emulator it makes it far more stable smooth and the music stays in time

Without using the settings i show here a lot of games have no sound at all an example of this is The Violinist of Hamelin (J) [T+Eng 100% 1.0_J2E] on default settings has no sound at all..

Try it out :) I think this is the best setting combo i have tryed every one i think with these settings it's almost perfect smooth and fullspeed

KmusDC
fire

Post#3 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Thank you very much, I am testing. Amazed with this version. :)

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#4 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:11 pm

KmusDC wrote:Hey guy... friends i want to read opinions.
Until today I always had a little positive concept regarding the emulation of SNES in Dreamcast, I had only tried with DreamSNES 1.9.8 and SNES4ALL Beta1... I knew there was a SNES4ALL beta2 but I had not tested it until now.
I always believed that Dreamcast was not capable of moving SNES decently, or at least playable. I am in awe of the performance of the SNES4ALL Beta2, a big jump over beta1 and even DreamSNES. (The only thing that is surpassed by its competitor would be the sound), being a little less fluid in this... Someone has a different opinion or knows some specific configuration or version of the DreamSNES that works so well in terms of fps than the SNES4ALL Beta 2? I ask why most people put DreamSNES as the best DC emulator for SNES. Maybe I'm missing trying something. Something that I have not read or seen. Cheers

DreamSNES was one of the best SNES Dreamcast emulators in the early years. It gained popularity before SNES4ALL was even around. SNES4ALL was developed and improved more recently, so a lot of the progress like the most recent Beta 2 didn’t exist maybe 10 years ago.

If you have the technology, a speed up for DreamSNES that reduces frameskip is to run the PAL version. It only needs to target 50 FPS instead of 60 FPS. I’ve been told that makes the games look smoother, because the auto-frame skip is less frequent. I don’t have a PAL setup, so I can’t confirm this.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:25 pm

KmusDC wrote:Thank you very much, I am testing. Amazed with this version. :)

It's very good for rpg's it's why i made this image of all fan translated to english jap rpgs that never came out in the west..

Lan-Di
Anarki

Post#6 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I also did an image with all games on it. At least all of the ones that didn’t present a black screen or garbage graphics.. it’s out there somewhere.. lol

Lan-Di
Anarki

Post#7 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Maybe the setting up there will make those games play better..

Qinti
noob

Post#8 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:27 pm

I happen to have this but haven't tried it because Dreamsnes was still fresh on my mind, and I have been spoiled by my original XBox and my many Raspberry and Orange Pis. So if it does offer a better experience, I might keep it if only because it's faster than hooking up my SNES or Pi just to play.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#9 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:24 am

Snes RPG on Dreamcast!!! I love it, thanks again Ian!
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:19 pm

On hardware you must change it to HW/ render and reset the emulator between most roms solves black screen and other problems
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat May 16, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.