Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Post#21 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:34 pm

at this price, this project is doomed to failure
based on the description, GDEMU (even a clone) is in no way inferior, but costs much cheaper

Greg2600
dark night

Post#22 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 pm

megavolt85 wrote:at this price, this project is doomed to failure
based on the description, GDEMU (even a clone) is in no way inferior, but costs much cheaper

GDEMU is impossible to get unless you buy a clone. Just speaking from a North American perspective, this is the first DC product of this kind being sold here. Stone Age had the USB GD Rom briefly before MNEMO lost his mind. Terraonion's stuff all costs this much or more, and they frequently sell out.

azel
fire

Post#23 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:49 am

megavolt85 wrote:at this price, this project is doomed to failure

Such a bad take, people are more excited about this for the Saturn support plus all the storage media it supports.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#24 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:51 am

MNEMO became not competitive, USB GDROM functionality did not justify the high price

I wouldn’t buy a device for that kind of money that is not 100% compatible, especially since I will have to pay for a second drive emulator that I don’t need

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#25 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm agree with @megavolt85 , it's too expensive.
If the compatibily is not 100%, I don't have any look.
And even if i see a resident evil full tiger enigma video, then a full skies of arcadia intro, and finally a bleem demo...
182€, ouch.

azel
fire

Post#26 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:03 pm

You guys are still ignoring Saturn support. They will move some units for people unable to get a Pheobe/Rhea and that are tired of waiting for Satiator.

For the Dreamcast community its not exciting but I imagine that they added that as a secondary feature.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#27 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:51 pm

BlueCrab wrote:because, as has already been said -- who's going to want to switch it back and forth

I find it a bit funny that people apparently became that damn lazy over the years.

Before these drive emulation solutions, we had to switch the game discs. Which meant removing the current disc from the system, putting it back in its case, going to our shelf, putting it back in its place, finding the game we want to play next, then walking back to the console, and putting the disc in (and then hope the disc still works).

Now, people are lazy to swap the drive replacement every once in a while? I doubt most people (unless maybe indie developers) would use their Saturn and Dreamcast at the same time, so that reasoning doesn't really work. Saying that you don't want to disassemble the console every time, well you could just remove the screws and leave the top on, so you can just pop it off when you want to. Again, I doubt most people would be moving their Saturn and Dreamcast all over the place that would require them to be always screwed together. So unless everyone plays their games by constantly switcing back and forth between their Saturn and Dreamcast all day, every day, I really don't get the problem.

Only other valid reason I can think of is being afraid the conncertors are gonna wear out over time.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#28 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 pm

azel wrote:You guys are still ignoring Saturn support.

1) only a stupid person will constantly rearrange ODE from console to console
2) this is the fourth ODE manufacturer for SATURN, so everything will be decided by the price + functionality

megavolt85
Developer

Post#29 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Tarnish wrote:Now, people are lazy to swap the drive replacement every once in a while?

you confuse soft with warm
if you like to kill connectors that are not designed to change frequently, then you can replug evry day
but smart people will never do that

azel
fire

Post#30 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
azel wrote:You guys are still ignoring Saturn support.

1) only a stupid person will constantly rearrange ODE from console to console
2) this is the fourth ODE manufacturer for SATURN, so everything will be decided by the price + functionality

Where did I say that? People will be buying this for Saturn and probably wont get installed in many Dreamcasts seeing as GDEMU clones are cheap, plentiful and reliable.

There aren't any readily available ODEs for Saturn right now so not sure where you are getting that from. Many coming out but right now this is the only one you can easily buy.

Which has been my whole point this whole time. You are saying its a ripoff and talking about DC support but noone is interested in this for DC support. It's cool that it does support both though.