New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

diodado
shadow

Re: New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Post#31 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:42 am

I have to tell that I Ve tryed twice to learn jap Just to play this game! Thank you for your hard work!

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 8 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#32 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:25 pm

OriginalName wrote:Hey, just dropped in to say that a Segagaga translation would make big waves in the community if it were released. YouTube algorithms and the like are incomprehensible, so there's no telling why so few people saw the video. The retro gaming scene as a whole is really fragmented and specialized, but you would get a massive bump if you were to actually release a finished translation. It's the sort of thing that high-traffic sites/creators like HG101, Retronauts, Game Sack, Happy Console Gamer, et cetera would jump onto, write/talk about, and help get you some recognition. You just have to finish it first.

But I understand, I used to teach in Japan myself. It can definitely be an extremely draining and demanding environment. But I'd hate for you to think that people wouldn't care about a Segagaga translation, because a lot of people have been waiting for one for an awful long time. Back in the day translations would get a bit more hype before completion, but a lot of us have really been burned and have learned not to massively hype up a translation patch before it's released -- I wrote a huge interview article for the former Segagaga translation article for Racketboy back in the day and a ton of people got hyped up for it and the guy just disappeared one day.

I think that Segagaga is one of those games that needs to exist in English. It has been referenced and dissected by a ton of high-profile gaming outlets as an essential part of not only Dreamcast but Sega history that most people unfortunately can't properly appreciate. I assure you, if it were completed it would get quite a bit of enthusiastic press and fanfare.

I would go as far as to say it might honestly be the only viable translation project left that would truly make waves (not to take away from the merit of other projects).

Long time no see my friend! How are you? Nice to see you stepped outside of Racketboy and are posting abroad for once hehe. But you hit the nail on the head, the retro community is fragmented as hell, and even the Dreamcast has a bunch of different places that a few people seem to only post to and do not go from site to site like most of us hard core fanatics do. I post on multiple sites but it can become tiring sometimes. Since Assembler went down it is mainly this site, Obscure and Reddit for me with the odd blog I respond to here or there.

But yeah, this project has been the most highly requested translation for 2 years now. Lets hope Ross completes it. :mrgreen:

christuserloeser
shadow

Post#33 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:15 pm

the1ross wrote:Hi guys,

I'm the one who started this translation and I haven't given up on it, it was just put on the back burner when other things in life got in the way.

You see, I started this while schools were closed for a few weeks in Japan meaning I was off work and had a lot of free time to give. When I went back to work, I just found it a little difficult to fulfill the time commitment. Also, the response from the community at the time was fairly lackluster and not many seemed interested, nor did my video get many views. That shouldn't have made a difference but it did take some of the wind out of my sails. I actually gott very close to finishing Chapter 2 (perhaps a day more work left) but just never got round to wrapping it up.

I had two backers on Patreon, but after slowing down on the project, I decided it wasn't fair to take anything from them and gave them a full refund.

At Christmas, I should have a week or so free to work on it and finish up chapter 2, but I won't be taking donations from Patreon.

Thanks for your kind words, it really does make me want to get back to this.

I cannot think of a game more in need of a translation than Segagaga.

OriginalName
rebel

Post#34 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:13 am

Anthony817 wrote:Long time no see my friend! How are you? Nice to see you stepped outside of Racketboy and are posting abroad for once hehe.

Hey there, man! I just rediscovered these forums (used to lurk) in the wake of the Atomiswave ports and almost sent you a message to see how you were doing just because I was so pleasantly surprised to see someone I recognized from so far back! You've been doing incredible work in the community in the intervening years, I've got to say I'm really proud of you!

I'm doing well! Moved to Imabari, Japan for a few years to teach English and came back home to Nashville for a quick break right before COVID hit and stranded me in the States indefinitely (not that I haven't enjoyed my extended stay, getting to catch up with friends and family). Amassed one hell of a collection of games while I was in Japan and I've been getting the itch to go back -- didn't choose Imabari (though it was a great place to live); it'll be cool to actually choose which city to live in this time around. I ended up with pretty solid conversational Japanese -- I'd love to get to the level where I could confidently contribute to some of these translations projects myself. I've been looking around for a simple project to cut my teeth on, to be honest.

How about you? Feel free to respond in DM's if you don't want us to derail this thread even further, haha.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#35 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm

OriginalName wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Long time no see my friend! How are you? Nice to see you stepped outside of Racketboy and are posting abroad for once hehe.

Hey there, man! I just rediscovered these forums (used to lurk) in the wake of the Atomiswave ports and almost sent you a message to see how you were doing just because I was so pleasantly surprised to see someone I recognized from so far back! You've been doing incredible work in the community in the intervening years, I've got to say I'm really proud of you!

I'm doing well! Moved to Imabari, Japan for a few years to teach English and came back home to Nashville for a quick break right before COVID hit and stranded me in the States indefinitely (not that I haven't enjoyed my extended stay, getting to catch up with friends and family). Amassed one hell of a collection of games while I was in Japan and I've been getting the itch to go back -- didn't choose Imabari (though it was a great place to live); it'll be cool to actually choose which city to live in this time around. I ended up with pretty solid conversational Japanese -- I'd love to get to the level where I could confidently contribute to some of these translations projects myself. I've been looking around for a simple project to cut my teeth on, to be honest.

How about you? Feel free to respond in DM's if you don't want us to derail this thread even further, haha.

Ah hey man good to see you doing well. I bet Japan must be tons of fun! Hahaha thanks for the flattering words but the real heroes are the homebrew developers, I am just a superfan that likes to upload stuff here and there that I have archived over the years. I got 1 1tb drive full of all the lost homebrew from TIZ from when that place closed down. I also have a 2tb drive full of old scene released that my friend here deluxux hooked me up with that he himself personally archived content from all over the place dating back the past 20 years which he started around 2009 or so I think he said.

I hope you stick around. I unfortunately stopped posting on Racketboy as it just felt like the Sega forums were just way slower there. This place is pretty active so it is great. I would argue it and Reddit Dreamcast sub is pretty much the most active communities for the console on the net. It really is great to see so many old and new faces here since megavolt and yzb are converting these games from Atomiswave. They sure made 2020 go out with a bang haha. At this rate I expect all the portable games brought over before end of year. There may be some that can not work on console if they are touch screen.

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#36 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Another DC fan here that would love to be able to experience this game in their native tongue. I didn’t see the original posts or hear about the video until just now or Id have been certain to comment sooner, last couple of months have been mad busy for me. Please keep at it, it’s been 20 years in coming, so no rush, but as others have said - once it’s done people will catch on and it will get the attention such a project deserves!

Beefalo
lithium

Post#37 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:40 am

I would wrestle a moose for the chance to play SGGG in English.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#38 » Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm

Canadian moose I hope!
Lol!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

boquetipo
shadow

Post#39 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi. I read about the traslation several months ago, and I tried to extract the text from the game, but it was impossible to me. I started the game, and tried to find a non-japanese text for a reference, but I'm afraid I'm not an expert, because I just found one letter and numbers, but not enough for my knowledge.

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#40 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:54 am

If anyone is interested - jde6r8hed released a patch for GDI that unlocks DEBUG MENU for SEGAGAGA ;)
Download link : https://11.gigafile.nu/1204-bd375e7f86a ... a7d346f919
Password to download and zip archive : SGGG

Credits to : https://twitter.com/jde6r8hed/status/14 ... 0335584257