New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

biggestsonicfan
noob

Re: New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Post#51 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:46 am

dubcity wrote:Rolly gave credit to the author in his post and Madsheep changed his post to give credit as well.

It was not about giving credit, and it never was. Rolly linked to the original link, which was expired, that's not redistribution. ateam redistributed the file which was against the author's wishes, which was listed in the readme of the original Patch.7z. At this point it's not a question of arguing who was right and who was wrong here, it is about biting the hand that feeds you. Yes, a debug patch is an incredible feat, which jde6r8hed found, not any of us. A derivative work created based on the information the patch gave, such as cheats or a disassembly explaining what the patch did, might have been an acceptable workaround. If you unzip the Patch.7z with the password jde6r8hed provided (required for download as well) and rename the xdelta and delete the readme, this situation would have been impossible to avoid.

Anyway it's over now. I hope the patch at least assists in a real SGGG ENG ver, not like the, uh 3(?) before it? Sega themselves also teased at an Eng SGGG in their Sega Forever campaign, and we saw how well that went over, lol.

EDIT: Their account is now deleted.
Last edited by biggestsonicfan on Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#52 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:27 am

I don’t understand why there is so much noise, it takes 5-10 minutes to activate the DEBUG menu. :lol:

Code: Select all

SGGG - Segagaga v1.022 (2001)(Sega)(NTSC)(JP)
R+X - show/hide debug menu

track03.iso
find:
32 60 24 D4 2D DD 01 88

replace:
32 60 24 D4 2D DD 18 00
Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-10-24.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-10-46.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-12-04.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-19-10.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-20-45.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 08-23-42.png
Снимок экрана от 2022-10-16 09-04-01.png

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#53 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:29 am

megavolt85 wrote:I don’t understand why there is so much noise, it takes 5-10 minutes to activate the DEBUG menu. :lol:

I didn't want to assume anything in my original post when I described enabling debug menus as "an incredible feat", as I know sometimes it can be very easy, but can other times be quite difficult. I was going to do a diff of the original 1ST_READ.BIN and the patched one to see what was changed, so thank you for doing it for me!

I'm not trying to stir up shit or anything, but... the patch author feeling such a strong attachment and ownership over an 8-byte assembly hack is, honestly, even crazier.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#54 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:47 am

biggestsonicfan wrote:
dubcity wrote:Rolly gave credit to the author in his post and Madsheep changed his post to give credit as well.

It was not about giving credit, and it never was. Rolly linked to the original link, which was expired, that's not redistribution. ateam redistributed the file which was against the author's wishes, which was listed in the readme of the original Patch.7z. At this point it's not a question of arguing who was right and who was wrong here, it is about biting the hand that feeds you. Yes, a debug patch is an incredible feat, which jde6r8hed found, not any of us. A derivative work created based on the information the patch gave, such as cheats or a disassembly explaining what the patch did, might have been an acceptable workaround. If you unzip the Patch.7z with the password jde6r8hed provided (required for download as well) and rename the xdelta and delete the readme, this situation would have been impossible to avoid.

Anyway it's over now. I hope the patch at least assists in a real SGGG ENG ver, not like the, uh 3(?) before it? Sega themselves also teased at an Eng SGGG in their Sega Forever campaign, and we saw how well that went over, lol.

EDIT: Their account is now deleted.

Like I said, I had zero clue where this patch even came from. Someone shared it with me a while back. I never renamed the file. The file I shared here is the exact one I was given. I simply saw someone requesting it here in this thread, realized I had it, and then uploaded it. It was not done with malice. I was only trying to share.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

megavolt85
Developer

Post#55 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:49 pm

ateam wrote:I'm not trying to stir up shit or anything, but... the patch author feeling such a strong attachment and ownership over an 8-byte assembly hack is, honestly, even crazier.

so I made a hex patch and took screenshots of how I found the inclusion of the DEBUG menu, so that the author of the xdelta patch would have no doubt that I used his work.
by the way, I spent some time on the translation patch, I will soon post an intermediate version so that it is not lost like last time :D

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#56 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:14 pm

megavolt85 wrote:by the way, I spent some time on the translation patch, I will soon post an intermediate version so that it is not lost like last time :D

Very excellent! Sharing proof-of-concept for reading in ASCII font from BIOS would help any team who wants to take on the project one day. I'm pretty sure I saved my modified ASM for adjusting tile-spacing, so combining those two would be a great start for anyone looking to do the project.

Furthermore, the headers of the container/archive files are also easy to understand, so writing extract/rebuild tools is easy. However, if I recall correctly, there are a number of assets (like textures) locked away behind compression, although it might just be a known LZ implementation.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

megavolt85
Developer

Post#57 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:42 am

How is it better?

Снимок экрана от 2022-10-18 12-37-26.png

Снимок экрана от 2022-10-18 12-40-15.png

Roz
photon blast

Post#58 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:27 am

option 2

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#59 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:15 am

megavolt85 wrote:How is it better?

Screenshot #2 is 10000% better, since it has optimized font tile spacing for the narrower ASCII glyphs.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

fraggle200
chill

Post#60 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:40 am