New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: New SEGAGAGA translation project in the works!

Post#21 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:24 am

You're a good person @the1ross I wish you success in this project and life.

Lembow26
rebel

Post#22 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:34 am

What about translating a game from the same studio that created jet set radio, jet set radio future and panzer dragoon orta? That would be a thing yeah?

Its strange that nobody talks about hundred swords. Critics praise its excellent story and the game mostly scored a 7 out of 10 when looking on wikipedia.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDsS0x1aXY

English version already exists. Sega ported it to pc.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#23 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:34 am

Ported it on dreamcast is not easy ;-)
Same thing for hundred sword.

Lembow26
rebel

Post#24 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:00 am

fafadou wrote:Ported it on dreamcast is not easy ;-)
Same thing for hundred sword.

I can only imagine. But fan translating an actual SEGA game from the panzer dragoon orta studio, which actually has a translation on pc, should be more motivating. Im sure many here see the game now for the first time. Its just unfair, that it is so unknown. Also its on nobody hidden gem list, cause wtf nobody knows it :D the us-release was late minute cancelled. They actually wanted it to come out of japan, but u all know how things turned out. it supports mouse and keyboard on dc and should be the best strategy game on the system. Of course u can play the jap version, but as i mentioned - the story seems to be strong in this game from what critics said. Just sad...

yzb
Developer

Post#25 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 am

Are you talking about the game?
The Chinese version has been released
http://bbs.chinaemu.org/read-htm-tid-96014.html

madsheep
rebel

Post#26 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 pm

yzb wrote:Are you talking about the game?

hello yzb do you know how to extract .MRG .ADX or how they methods they used?

yzb
Developer

Post#27 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 am

madsheep wrote:
yzb wrote:Are you talking about the game?

hello yzb do you know how to extract .MRG .ADX or how they methods they used?

The .MRG format is a compressed file, you need to decompress it, most of the mrg are image files

The .adx format is sound and music files, this does not require translation

stry8993
lithium

Post#28 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Any progress on this at all?\

EDIT, just read Ross' post, you might not see it or read it, but people are VERY excited about the idea of playing this game in English. I think once it comes out, you'll really see. Thanks for your hard work and continued effort, we appreciate it more than you know!

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#29 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:35 am

I hope this will be completed. it´s the ultimate sega game!

OriginalName
rebel

Post#30 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:13 am

Hey, just dropped in to say that a Segagaga translation would make big waves in the community if it were released. YouTube algorithms and the like are incomprehensible, so there's no telling why so few people saw the video. The retro gaming scene as a whole is really fragmented and specialized, but you would get a massive bump if you were to actually release a finished translation. It's the sort of thing that high-traffic sites/creators like HG101, Retronauts, Game Sack, Happy Console Gamer, et cetera would jump onto, write/talk about, and help get you some recognition. You just have to finish it first.

But I understand, I used to teach in Japan myself. It can definitely be an extremely draining and demanding environment. But I'd hate for you to think that people wouldn't care about a Segagaga translation, because a lot of people have been waiting for one for an awful long time. Back in the day translations would get a bit more hype before completion, but a lot of us have really been burned and have learned not to massively hype up a translation patch before it's released -- I wrote a huge interview article for the former Segagaga translation for Racketboy back in the day and a ton of people got hyped up for it and the guy just disappeared one day.

I think that Segagaga is one of those games that needs to exist in English. It has been referenced and dissected by a ton of high-profile gaming outlets as an essential part of not only Dreamcast but Sega history that most people unfortunately can't properly appreciate. I assure you, if it were completed it would get quite a bit of enthusiastic press and fanfare.

I would go as far as to say it might honestly be the only viable translation project left that would truly make waves (not to take away from the merit of other projects).
Last edited by OriginalName on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.