DREAMBOR DREAMSHELL SD card loading vs old cdr or gdemu Youtube video

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

DREAMBOR DREAMSHELL SD card loading vs old cdr or gdemu Youtube video

Post#1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Loading form gdemu is about 1 min for this game over 2 mins for cdr.. about 10 to 20 sec for dreamshell dreamopen bor new version :) Near intant this game is over 170 mb one of the largest openbor games..

compare the loading speed from the sd card

From a cdr.. 1min 46 sec

coming soon :)about 1 month :)

all games loading from the new dreamshell dreamopen bor v1.0 load very very fast :) no more waiting :) Dreamshell $9 sd card addapter

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: DREAMBOR DREAMSHELL SD card loading vs old cdr or gdemu Youtube video

Post#2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Dreamshell with hdd ? if it's sd card the better result it means gdemu version is not well optimize.

HDD gives thé better datatransfert, hope the cdda with homebrew will be available one day :-)

@megavolt85 has done a wonderfull job with hydra castle, it's not cdda but a pure delight with dma.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:41 pm

fafadou wrote:Dreamshell with hdd ? if it's sd card the better result it means gdemu version is not well optimize.

HDD gives thé better datatransfert, hope the cdda with homebrew will be available one day :-)

@megavolt85 has done a wonderfull job with hydra castle, it's not cdda but a pure delight with dma.

Gdemu or cdr cant be as fast with this engine
it's random multi reading at the same time of 7700 files this is sd card

The gdemu is throttled and can only load one place at time like a cdr the emulated laser can only be in one place at time
But from the sd card it can be in many places reading small files more then make up for it's low transfer rate..

This streams music while loading files which why on cdr or gdemu the sound cuts in and out and any gif files chug now with compression this could be fine problem is it uses lots of ram and we dont have it..

Proof is up there..

it's Got nothing todo with how slow or fast the sd card is it's random reading of multi files is much faster of little files all at the same time..

Gdemu has to load each little file 7700 of them 1 by 1 it would need on the fly compression that would help when you have that compression you have no ram left..

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:27 pm

Thanks for explain :-)

Ripfire
stalker

Post#5 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Last edited by Ripfire on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

k-do
Doom

Post#6 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm

I made a modified 1ST_READ.bin of dreambor beta 6 file using hex editor to get homebrew working on hdd, like in some youtube video tutorial, and its run perfect and fast from sata hdd...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm

k-do wrote:I made a modified 1ST_READ.bin of dreambor beta 6 file using hex editor to get homebrew working on hdd, like in some youtube video tutorial, and its run perfect and fast from sata hdd...

Very nice work Great job sounds good wow yeah that be fast loading.. opens up the world to doing more.. nextupdate be worth it You have to let me know how you did it or the youtube video that shows you..

thank you..

k-do
Doom

Post#8 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:53 pm

I just followed Aldairs tutorial....see here....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12336&p=123421&hilit=homebrew+dreamshell#p123421

k-do
Doom

Post#9 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:55 pm

If you need someone to take tests on dreamshell hdd or sd card I would like to help!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:06 pm

k-do wrote:If you need someone to take tests on dreamshell hdd or sd card I would like to help!

Thank you i will for HDD for sure.. thanks for the link..