New game: Moving Day!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Protofall
undertow

New game: Moving Day!

Post#1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:57 am

I've been working on a game for the Dream On 2019 competition, "Moving Day". Its not fully done yet, but its in a state where I'm happy to do an initial release. This game is a Dr Mario clone, but with a new skin and it adds a few extra features :grin: In this game you have a room instead of a bottle, boxes instead of pills, and "stuff" instead of viruses. The idea is you're moving out of home and need to pack up all your stuff. The red stuff/clothes go into the red box, the green stuff/edibles go into the green box and the blue stuff/tech goes into the blue boxes.

For those not familiar with Dr Mario, its a combination of Tetris + Connect 4 where you need to line up your pieces in 4 of the same colour to clear stuff. You win if you pack up all your stuff and you lose if you "Top out" (Can't spawn a new box anymore). The number of stuff is directly related to your chosen "Level" (In my version its "Level * 4". In Dr Mario its "(Level * 4) + 4")

Download:

I'll be regularly releasing new builds over the next few days so remember to check in for new downloads!

v0.2
This version has the following changes:
- When paused the game now shows who paused it
- The player's controller (eg. P1 or P2.L) now appears next to their board
- Sometimes trash was falling early
- Fixed bad bug where players 2 - 8 had glitchy boards that often caused a crash
- Fixed some oversights in Twin Stick support
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4hsxvsvp ... 2.zip/file

v0.3
This version adds in:
-All the menu's except for [TBA] (Currently hid it to avoid confusion)
- Twinstick art made by my friend JamoHTP
- Pre-game menus for single and multiplayer allowing you to choose your team, starting level, speed and preset (Press Start in multiplayer to "Split" a controller)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/49vme42zj ... 3.zip/file

v0.3.1
This version is mostly a bugfix build. Also when you pause the game, it now hides all the boxes/stuff so you can't spam pause to get an advantage. Also tidied up the single player HUD to display on left and right on board as well as the current level.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7ag190r3u ... 1.zip/file

The initial build contained:
- Hz select screen (If not using VGA so you can still play on 50Hz-only TVs)
- Intro sequence (Dream On, Core software used, Made by Me)
- Main menu (Only Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Credits work right now)
- Credits Screen
- Singleplayer games (From level 1 to 22)
- Multiplayer games with up to 8 players :grin: :| :mrgreen: 8-) :lol: :? :twisted: :)
- (To be clear its only local multiplayer. I'd love to have online support but idk how to do that especially with the modem)
- Twin Stick support
- Pausing (Only 2 pauses per controller for multiplayer but unlimitted for solo)

Right now every player in multiplayer is forced to use level 10 at "slow" speed and singleplayer is level 1 at slow speed. In the next build I'll add extra menus for people to choose what they want.

Future features:
- Different HUD for singleplayer (To show level and other details more clearly)
- Score system
- Combo clear animation
- AI opponents
- Sound/Music
- Those extra menus
- Settings (Disable trash, extra rotations, win conditions, etc)
- Savefile for those settings and high score
- A "story" slide before the singleplayer game
- Something after you beat singleplayer
- "Best of X" games for multiplayer
- The controls menu
- Keyboard support (Idk yet after learning of the potential limitations)
- [TBA] :wink:

There's no way all of that will be done before Dream On ends (31st Dec), but I'll continue working on it after then to add the last features.

PRESETS:
Since there is currently no controls page, I'll list here what they are. In future versions you will be able to choose from a list of control presets for your preference. But for the time being in singleplayer you use "GAMEPAD, 1P, 0" or "TWINSTICK, 0" if you're using a twinstick. Right now the number of players you see in multiplayer is equal to the number of controllers plugged in x2 and your preset is "0 and 2" for gamepad and "0 and 3" for twinstick. So two people share the controller (One half each)

GAMEPAD
1P
0 = DPAD-Movement + A-to-rotate
1 = DPAD-Movement + B-to-rotate
2 = DPAD-Movement + R-to-rotate
3 = All-DPAD

2P
0 = DPAD-Movement + L-to-rotate
1 = All-DPAD
2 = Face-Buttons-Movement + R-to-rotate
3 = Face-Buttons

Twinstick (DPAD1 is left stick. DPAD2 is right stick)
0 = DPAD1-Movement + X-to-rotate (Trigger)
1 = DPAD1-Movement + Y-to-rotate (Button)
2 = All-DPAD1
3 = DPAD2-Movement + A-to-rotate (Trigger)
4 = DPAD2-Movement + B-to-rotate (Button)
5 = All-DPAD2

Other:

There are a few features that have been implemented, but haven't been able to fully test because either I'm not good enough or its too hard to control 2 players at once as one person. Here's the lsit of potential iffy features. They should all be fine, but if you notice an issue or bug please tell me so I can fix it:
- Does this work on hardware? (I've been using REDREAM for most of dev and I don't have my DC setup right now so idk)
- Trash mode (When you receive a combo from an opponent). If you get 2+ combos in a turn you'll spawn that number of single boxes on an enemy board. I know this works for combos of 2, but what about 3 and 4? Also if you do 5+ does it only spawn a max of 4 as expected?
- If trash spawns where you already have a box, it should replace it
- Intersecting combos (Previously had issues with this, but it should be fine now)
- Does the player's box fall too fast?

Lastly:
I want to give thanks to the entire Dreamcast community otherwise I wouldn't be here and wouldn't have gotten this far on my own. I also want to thank the people at tetrisconcept.org, particularly this thread https://tetrisconcept.net/threads/dr-ma ... ement.2037 . They uncovered a lot of the technical details of how the NES Dr Mario works including how the initial bottle/viruses/stuff was generated (I would never have been able to correctly figure that one out).

Now, go play!
Last edited by Protofall on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: New game: Moving Day!

Post#2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am

This is really cool games ive got to level 6 so far :)

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#3 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Awsome work ! Thank you very much and a happy Christmas to you all :)

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:21 pm

This looks like a lot of fun! I'm sure there would be a few people willing to help with online play possibly.

Protofall
undertow

Post#5 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks all and merry christmas too :D

Yeah, if online were to happen I'd need help. Too many unknowns in that area for me.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:34 am

Nice, reminds me of a zx spectrum game
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 pm

thank you protofall

Protofall
undertow

Post#8 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:27 am

v0.3 is out! Main feature is all the menus have now been implemented.

Roz
photon blast

Post#9 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:08 am

Version to dreamshell avalible?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#10 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 am

Oh very nice project !!