Rizzo Island 60 FPS Demo out now!!!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Rizzo Island 60 FPS Demo out now!!!

Post#1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Rizzo Island now runs at 60 FPS thanks to Mrneo240's nu version of Nuquake! The game is much more playable now, and works great with real hardware! Plus, bug fixes for the PC and Windows 98 version as well!

You can download the demo here: https://dreameater-games.itch.io/rizzo-demo-1

Changes:
- Upgraded to latest 60 FPS version of NuQuake
- Fixed Cutscene Crashing
- Fixed King Slime's slimeball hitbox (still needs work)
- Added sounds to platforms
- Added proper textures to lilypads
- Added new Water/Slime/Lava textures
- Added platform on E1M3 to rise up when boss is defeated
- Added back in other options from regular NuQuake
- Geometry optimization fixes for faster framerate
- Fixed Dreamcast tutorial sounds to proper control sounds
- Made the tutorial enemy be surrounded by lava instead of water for better tutorialization

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Rizzo Island 60 FPS Demo out now!!!

Post#2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Woah dude very cool thank you! NuQuake is awesome! Did you port NuQuake to Windows 98?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 pm

thank ya

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Post#4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:40 am

deluxux wrote:Woah dude very cool thank you! NuQuake is awesome! Did you port NuQuake to Windows 98?

Nah. Unfortunately there were so many API changes made to NuQuake's Windows port that it won't compile with Visual Studio 6 - 2008. It's just a version of GLQuake modified to have menu's and such make my game look like I want it to. However, that doesn't mean it's inferior. In fact, there is a lot of debugging that is going to have to be done to get NuQuake working on modern windows to have it approved for use, like WAV file soundtrack audio to replace the need for a physical CD, but I already put that issue in the gitlab page for nuquake.

Tl:dr: It doesn't, it uses a slightly modded version of GLQuake

Edit: I'm actually the one that is funding the NuQuake port as well. I was the one who put up the bounty on a discord server, and Mrneo240 took me up on it. I basically nagged him into doing lols, but now he's gotten rather committed to it!

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 am

The project goes on very well !!

Beefalo
lithium

Post#6 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:26 am

Somehow this is the first I'm hearing of the project, by name anyway. Screenshots look vaguely familiar but I'm not sure.

Don't worry too much about stepping away, I've had enough experiences like that to feel like I can relate. Sometimes I'll be knee-deep into a project or any sort, not just programming, when suddenly every 1 step of progress adds 3 steps of work afterwards. It a tough situation even in personal projects, nevermind stuff you feel others have expectations for.

I wanted to say that first because I have a question that will probably sound judgmental/accusatory, but I genuinely don't mean it that way - just trying to better understand the situation.

As a consolation to the Patreon supporters who have given me money over the years

Why was there a Patreon for a homebrew game's development? I've been following the DC scene for 20 years and can't think of any comparable situations. Often people just code tools/games as a hobby and release stuff online as a free download. That's obviously cool for those interested in the download, but is surely way less pressure on the developer too.

It wasn't until recent years that full-blown physical releases started becoming a regular thing. Most of the time new games coming out don't start taking in funds until they release fully from my perception, or is that not accurate? I honestly have never paid super close attention as most games don't interest me, either genres I'm not into (shmups) or uninteresting-looking ports (JoshProd stuff). So if anyone can fill me in on "the norm" if there is one, I'd appreciate it.

I did pay $70ish to pre-order Xenocider a few years ago, and that came out earlier in the year fully living up to the hype. But I didn't fork over the cash simply for the promise of an eventual game, I felt the excitement they created by sharing the development process was worth money in the meantime. As I said, many of the games coming out over the years were 2D and not interesting to me, so when Retro Sumus showed up making an entirely new 3D for Dreamcast that looked legit, I was psyched. Then I learned Chui was involved and was double-psyched.

So I'm just curious about Rizzo Island's history (how long have you worked on it?) and the money situation (how did you use the funding, what did others get in return?) etc.

-

The only time I tried coding a game, it was a simple Space Invaders clone to get familiar with the basics - and that was a big enough pain in the ass, I've stuck with coding tools every since! Best of luck in the future.

hemipode
shadow

Post#7 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 am

Awzum, thanks :)

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Post#8 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 pm

Hey there! Thanks for the questions! Sorry for the late reply, as this was a very text-heavy post it had to take a couple of days to write it. I'll try to explain it best I can!

Beefalo wrote:Why was there a Patreon for a homebrew game's development? I've been following the DC scene for 20 years and can't think of any comparable situations. Often people just code tools/games as a hobby and release stuff online as a free download. That's obviously cool for those interested in the download, but is surely way less pressure on the developer too.

It wasn't until recent years that full-blown physical releases started becoming a regular thing. Most of the time new games coming out don't start taking in funds until they release fully from my perception, or is that not accurate? I honestly have never paid super close attention as most games don't interest me, either genres I'm not into (shmups) or uninteresting-looking ports (JoshProd stuff). So if anyone can fill me in on "the norm" if there is one, I'd appreciate it.

So, as for the Patreon. The funding was for commissioning other developers to help me make the game. I really don't know how to code, so I wanted to use crowdfunding to help me hire coders to port GLQuake to Dreamcast. I wasn't getting anyone to help me out, and Makaqu Quake wasn't good enough for my project. I made the levels, did some super light code editing (basic variable stuff) and did some light 3D modeling
to make my vision a reality. I never really made enough money per-month to pay in full for coders, so most of the money came out of my own pocket anyway, but it helped me supplement the cost a bit.

I wanted this to be a commercial release and as "professional quality" as possible. I wanted to have a real ESRB rating, a great quality physical release, and a cutting-edge new Quake port that ran with hardware acceleration using the PowerVR chip on the Dreamcast. That all costs money, and I had already put out a very light demo using mankrip's Makaqu quake port as a "proof-of-concept" for the game to get people interested.

So I'm just curious about Rizzo Island's history (how long have you worked on it?) and the money situation (how did you use the funding, what did others get in return?) etc.

It all started with the death of my uncle, Tom Rizzo, in 2017. He was a hobby musician who died of a heart attack while bike riding. When I attended his funeral, they had a bunch of CD's he had made in the late 90's containing his music. His music was mostly instrumental "easy-listening" music, and as I listened to it, I thought it would make a great game set on a tropical island. He was a surfer and before meeting my aunt, lived a very "bohemian lifestyle" in a van. So as a way to honor him, I wanted to use him as a main character in a video game based on his music.

At the same time that I was developing this idea, I had been experimenting with Quake modding and developing with the Dreamcast. Like I said before, I made some proof-of-concept stuff to see how viable it would be. While I was experimenting, I found out that you could use CDDA audio as the soundtrack of a game using the Quake engine, so I thought it would be a novel idea to be able to put the game disc in a CD player and be able to play his music. That way, I could spread his legacy around the world.

After experimenting for awhile, I was able to produce a small 2 level demo, thanks to Makaqu, my QuakeC coder, and another 3D modeler. It was a minor hit within the DC community. I did a (poorly executed) livestream with the demo release and an AMA on reddit. Through my various reddit postings, I was able to meet mrneo240, who later would take up my offer to commission a GLQuake port that used the PowerVR chip in the dreamcast to its fullest potential. Not only that, but Kazade of DreamPi fame contacted me, and brought me into his chat server, which we later moved to Discord. From there I just started hacking away at the game, when finally, kazade had gotten his OpenGL DC port working fast enough for practical use. Since it was so fast, it was able to convince mrneo240 to finally help me with my project, as it was now much more practical to use GLQuake than software Quake.

Work proceeded fast, with an unpolished 5 level demo produced with the new nuQuake engine. Then development got slower and slower. We were able to get a booth at QuakeCon, and that helped us gain a lot more fans than the earlier Retropalooza convention held a year prior. Unfortunately, no matter how long I worked on it, I just couldn't finish any more levels other than the 5 I completed. My QuakeC coder was then poached by Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, which also made it impossible to add new features. Not only that, but in 2019 my father passed away from nuroendocrine cancer. The fallout from that put a lot of my life on hold, as we delt with a lot of painful things. I tried continuing, but then my Grandma died that January. Then came COVID. As a retail cashier, it was pretty much impossible for me to do anything other than work then go to sleep because of how busy we were. That was the first nail in the coffin. The last, was my earliest Patreon backer, lerabot, the developer of Reaperi Cycle, removing himself from my Patreon. After a few months of contemplating, I decided that it would be in my best interest to gather the info from my backers, close the Patreon, finish up what I have, and then release the game on Steam, with a special physical version for the backers, the developers, and few people I wanted to thank for helping me along the way.

If there is any interest after the Steam release for a physical copy, since the price difference would be extremely high, I'll consider doing a wider physical release. For now, I just want to get it out the door in the best quality I can with the assets I have or can edit easily.

I hope this answers your question