DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.7 SDL DMA New low memory

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: VasiliyRS, deluxux

Poll: What improvement, do you want, to see the most ?

Ported Video FMV cutscenes
12
32%
Scale Rending
7
19%
Change's from new src ported down
18
49%
Total votes: 37

User avatar
k-do
photon blast
Posts: 108

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA

Post#131 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:37 pm

What software to use to create the Dreambor 6.6 iso for Dreamshell? I have no sucess in create the iso ...
The old versions that has 1ST_READ.BIN i had no problem , but the newest that has dreambor.bin
my iso doesnt work for me.

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA

Post#132 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:59 pm

k-do wrote:What software to use to create the Dreambor 6.6 iso for Dreamshell? I have no sucess in create the iso ...
The old versions that has 1ST_READ.BIN i had no problem , but the newest that has dreambor.bin
my iso doesnt work for me.

Just rename it and delete the ip bin isomake tools same as normal

You think dreamshell could boot it not being called 1st_read.bin i guess not real hardware does as i have the custom ip.bin pointing to that name..

Rename to 1st_read.bin use a normal ip.bin use iso make tools from dcswat

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA

Post#133 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:32 pm

k-do wrote:What software to use to create the Dreambor 6.6 iso for Dreamshell? I have no sucess in create the iso ...
The old versions that has 1ST_READ.BIN i had no problem , but the newest that has dreambor.bin
my iso doesnt work for me.


Rename it to 1st_read.bin use a normal ip.bin it will work as normal

User avatar
k-do
photon blast
Posts: 108

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA

Post#134 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 pm

Thanks Ian, now it works.....great Dreambor update ....thank you!!!

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA

Post#135 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 pm

k-do wrote:Thanks Ian, now it works.....great Dreambor update ....thank you!!!


make sure to ether convert gif to png compression to save ram and to pal swap it back to 8bit color or 256 colour it's a 30fps change..

Also convert all ogg files to bor format as it is straight wav to the acia no decoding like ogg has to do can bring fps

quite a few tricks to make the 8bit colour look just as good as 16bit pal and have up to 60fps smooth..

Takes work converting all the files but you can save 40% ram use-age

Also what you put in the levels text if there is no next it loads all in memory in the scripts best to use next or break things in to 1 to 4 5 to 6 etc..

i will be adding proper unlocking saving to the vmu and optimizing sh4 math memory routines..

current version now uses vram and double buffering for faster access unpacked to the data folder it's 10 to 30 sec
packed it's well over 5 mins on a cdr ... also cached has to read the files 2 times 8 files each on boot and blocks loading... so always unpack to the data folder also uses less ram on boot and in the game.. No buffer holding and unzipping the big huge file..

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA New low memory

Post#136 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:02 am

6.6 low memory use 1mb bin it was 1.6 custom optimized sdl i worked on chui's sdl to make it faster
Now with sh4 math moop dreamhal replacement for memset and memcpy

Cdr gdemu test old was using 4mb on boot this using 2mb on boot..

Dreambor[6.6][lowmemory].rar
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 29 times


Dreamshell version patched faster loading less memory use
Dreambor[6.6][lowmemory]DS].rar
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 33 times


Remember these are tests please use and report problems.. I have tested only on a cdr at this point
Please follow

Unpak bor.pak to data folder use video.txt for 8bit 16bit 32bit colour

Menu.bin can be replaced with your loader on quit any unscrambled bit will load when you exit Dreambor


Ian micheal

Unload model command and sprites now working as well see openbor manual to know how to use in your games
also clear local variable now working

Code: Select all

clearglobalvar()

Clear up all global variants.
Return: none
You can use it when a level starts or ends to save memory.


Code: Select all

load {name} {bi}

Used to load a model whose name is {name} in current level.
{bi} determines if model stays in memory or not after current level ends.
0 = Nothing. The model is left alone (IOW, remains loaded) and loop moves on. This is the default action.
1 = Unload model only. The model is unloaded, but the sprites are not. Pretty pointless unless the model has a lot of script attached to it.
2 = Unload sprites only. The mode remains loaded, but its sprites are removed from memory.
3 = You'll notice there there is no third option, but because bitwise logic is in play, 3 effectively means "1 and 2" - model and sprites are unloaded.
This command is for loading weapons models or other entities which shouldn't be loaded until this command is executed. It's useful for memory usage control.
Don't forget to load {name} with 'know' in models.txt!
Like other level objects, this command must be followed by 'at' (see above) and also counted by 'group'.


Code: Select all

spawn {name} {bi}

{name} is the name of an entity defined in a .txt file which was loaded in MODELS.txt.
{bi} determines if model stays in memory or not after current level ends.
0 = Model stays in memory.
1 = Model is unloaded when current level ends.
{name} will be spawned (created) in current level. Where and with what attributes are determined by the next set of fields.


Please read how to do scripting http://www.chronocrash.com/apps/wiki/ob ... acy_Manual really should read it shows you how to use this engine..

User avatar
k-do
photon blast
Posts: 108

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA New low memory

Post#137 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 pm

I just have to THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!! Great work...

User avatar
Dark Hayabusa
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA New low memory

Post#138 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi Ian! Thank you for your hard work on this. The least I can do on my part is give you a report of what I have found so far:
1.- Indeed there is a slight increase in FPS but there is a significant performance loss when using transparent layers at full screen size (example 320x 240 rain sprites)
2.- There is also a loss of performance when using the perspective or wave effect in the sprites (using these commands you lose up to almost half the FPS)
3.- Using higher resolution apparently it becomes more stable and fluid but you automatically sacrifice about half of the FPS (from 30 FPS to 15 FPS but with less instability) apparently something was gained in the same way.
4.- An error in the "Start Game" menu if you go up from here the engine restarts.
5.- Animated GIFs continue to play relatively slowly, even with a small speed increase.
Outside of this I see that there are enormous possibilities of getting this to work at 640x 480 since I notice less drop in frames than with 320x 240 which is more unstable even using the effects of scaling, waves, alpha, perspective, etc ...
PD: I think the friends of Team Senile must have the answer to the increase in performance at the graphic level since they achieved it with the "Intrepid IZZY" engine that runs at 60 FPS and at a resolution of 640x480. :roll:

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA New low memory

Post#139 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:18 pm

16 and 32 colours might have those problems I will work on the full screen trans i have something for that soon it should really help..

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 3188
Contact:

Re: DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 6.6 SDL DMA New low memory

Post#140 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:47 pm

Dark Hayabusa wrote:Hi Ian! Thank you for your hard work on this. The least I can do on my part is give you a report of what I have found so far:
1.- Indeed there is a slight increase in FPS but there is a significant performance loss when using transparent layers at full screen size (example 320x 240 rain sprites)
2.- There is also a loss of performance when using the perspective or wave effect in the sprites (using these commands you lose up to almost half the FPS)
3.- Using higher resolution apparently it becomes more stable and fluid but you automatically sacrifice about half of the FPS (from 30 FPS to 15 FPS but with less instability) apparently something was gained in the same way.
4.- An error in the "Start Game" menu if you go up from here the engine restarts.
5.- Animated GIFs continue to play relatively slowly, even with a small speed increase.
Outside of this I see that there are enormous possibilities of getting this to work at 640x 480 since I notice less drop in frames than with 320x 240 which is more unstable even using the effects of scaling, waves, alpha, perspective, etc ...
PD: I think the friends of Team Senile must have the answer to the increase in performance at the graphic level since they achieved it with the "Intrepid IZZY" engine that runs at 60 FPS and at a resolution of 640x480. :roll:


Going to working on somethings for full screen trans.. As for unstable i play thru 5 openbor mods i repacked with out a problem with the start menu on my youtube channel I will take a look at the build i uploaded here maybe it's not the same as i used 16 or 32 are slow 8 is 50 to 60 fps right now

wanted to take a look
These are all running on dreamcast hardware not emulators





I have more to come your best bet is to pal swap to 8 and redo your game to get full screen 50 to 60 fps trans at the moment

Url at time scale and wav no problems https://youtu.be/2FxIYEJDfQ0?t=1312

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users