Ports of Open Source Games and Programs I'd Like to See on Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Ports of Open Source Games and Programs I'd Like to See on Dreamcast

Post#1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am

I'd like to see ports of the following completely open-source (both the engine and its data) games and applications to Dreamcast:
  1. Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control 2) (C language with SDL) - an "open world" space exploration adventure game
  2. Cube (C language with OpenGL and SDL) - a cool first-person shooter
  3. AssaultCube (C language with OpenGL and SDL) - a militaristic FPS
  4. Solar Wolf (Python language with PyGame) - you can't shoot yet you can collect "gems" to complete sectors and use power-ups to keep the enemies at bay
  5. Kobo Deluxe (C language with SDL) - destroy alien spaceships while dodging their many defenses
  6. Rock Dodger (C language with SDL) - dodge the asteroids; activate your shield to avoid disasters; and destroy greeblies and asteroids with your lasers
  7. Adventure Game Studio (C++ with Allegro, libaldmb, libdumb, libfreetype, libogg, libtheora, libvorbis, libXext, libXxf86vm) - a point-and-click adventure game engine and creation studio for making your own games
  8. Spinvaders (Python language with PyGame) - an awesome take on Space Invaders: increase your multiplier to 10x by shooting the enemy aliens and your standard shots turn into missile shots!
  9. OpenArena EX (C++ language with the OpenGL 1.x graphics API) - an FPS based on the id Tech 3 engine but with all-new visuals and sounds, making for a fully Free and open-source game!
  10. Nexuiz 2.5 (C++ language with OpenGL) - an FPS based on the id Tech 3 engine but with all-new and bright visuals and sounds, making for a full conversion to a Free and open-source shooter!
  11. OpenTTD (C language with SDL or Allegro) - a "tycoon" sim based on the ideas from Transport Tycoon Deluxe but re-implemented from scratch with all-new everything, making for a full open-source transportation management simulation!
  12. OpenTTD (C language with SDL or Allegro) - a "tycoon" sim based on the ideas from Transport Tycoon Deluxe but re-implemented from scratch with all-new everything, making for a full open-source transportation management simulation!
  13. JFBuild / KenBuild (C language with OpenGL and SDL 1.2) - a 3D first-person shooter engine and a family-friendly game
  14. Ken's Labyrinth LAB3D/SDL (C language with OpenGL and SDL 1.2) - a 3D FPS where you are rescuing your abducted dog and the precursor to KenBuild
I'd even contribute to crowd-funding to get some of these ported over to Dreamcast!
Last edited by Nz17 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Ports of Open Source Games and Programs I'd Like to See on Dreamcast

Post#2 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am

I just had a look, at a few of them, kobo Deluxe would not be that hard for me.. i will look into it .

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:39 am

Ian Micheal wrote:I just had a look, at a few of them, kobo Deluxe would not be that hard for me.. i will look into it .

Sorry to bug you but how about a look at Hunter. An open world game for the Atari St, some one made a open source port over here for the virtual boy : https://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?h071d

Here's what it looks like. I don't think it's the complete game but I could be wrong :

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I just had a look, at a few of them, kobo Deluxe would not be that hard for me.. i will look into it .

Sorry to bug you but how about a look at Hunter. An open world game for the Atari St, some one made a open source port over here for the virtual boy : https://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?h071d

Here's what it looks like. I don't think it's the complete game but I could be wrong :

I will have a look at it.

But until then i made you this CDI with AtariST emulator for dc with Hunter fullversion..

left trigger bring's up virtual keyboard etc spacebar start's game.. You should be able to play it on your dreamcast..

https://mega.nz/#!bn4Q0QpS!M3tF7OHIx6hA ... 6DTXoB2A4g

Just for you.. i did not code the emulator i just made a working cdi with the game you asked for .. and i will see if i can port the other..

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#5 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:

I will have a look at it.

But until then i made you this CDI with AtariST emulator for dc with Hunter fullversion..

left trigger bring's up virtual keyboard etc spacebar start's game.. You should be able to play it on your dreamcast..

https://mega.nz/#!bn4Q0QpS!M3tF7OHIx6hA ... 6DTXoB2A4g

Just for you.. i did not code the emulator i just made a working cdi with the game you asked for .. and i will see if i can port the other..

Wow thanks man. Ha , should have checked if it had a an emu. Hadn't checked Dreamcast emulation since the original dcemu site. Again thank you.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#6 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:49 am

I improved the list by adding the programming languages of each game and major libraries used. I also added another game to the list:
Spinvaders (Python language with PyGame) - an awesome take on Space Invaders: increase your multiplier to 10x by shooting the enemy aliens and your standard shots turn into missile shots!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:19 pm

If we are posting open sourced games we would love to see ported over, let me post some favorites of mine.

Descent A 6DOF FPS released in 1995 where you pilot a ship on asteroids though mine shafts.

Forsaken A 6DOF FPS in the same vein as Descent released in 1998.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:57 am

With any port's to dreamcast, you have to think of 16 meg main memory if the game use's more then that it's going to be very hard to get running. Not much point porting it dreamcast if it cant fit into memory..

When posting i like to port this or that please include memory usage :)

Straight C is best C++ work's but not fully ..
Anyway's Null porting a game or emulator, to dreamcast is not that hard. it's writing the render code and sound code. That's why SDL was so good at the time.

If there is a SDL version of decent, i'm sure it could be ported. Still memory leak's EG SDL openbor engine show, the trouble there ...

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:05 am

The games I suggested in my original post were games that were completely open source (both the engine and the assets). I'm sure that Descent's source code release only includes the engine and not the assets. Forsaken, while it does include some of the assets, is missing the music and cutscene videos. So neither of these are able to be freely redistributed in their entirety.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 am

I have ported, a lot of game's emulator's to dreamcast EG neogeo CD first working neogeo cd, emulator on dreamcast. Radquake quake1 first homebrew, version with full saving and rumble support.
Ultima V4 etc..
I'm enjoying your topic because your bring to light some game's i never thought about porting..
I agree with problem with decent.. We have to make replacement's for the assets..