Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Re: Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#51 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:40 am

Nico0020 wrote:Their stretch goal numbers seem quite wonky. Apparently saving your game to the VMU requires 6X the original goal?

That's outrageous! JoshProd have been pretty lousy when it comes to implementing VMU saving in their releases. AFAIK they've released at least 3 games which don't support the VMU.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:27 am

Nico0020 wrote:Apparently saving your game to the VMU requires 6X the original goal?

I was wondering whether to mention that or not as well. At first I thought it means saving the game as well, but they worded it in a weird way: "Save your presets". So now I'm not sure whether that's just regular saving your progress, or something else.

On a different note JoshProd posted this as part of a post on their Facebook page: "Note that this Work In Progress build is really far of the final version, now landscape have more details, we'll add drift, boost and more ARCADE options"

Which is nice and all, but I prefer a "Show, don't tell" approach when it comes to things like those.

In general, there are just a lot of lines in that Kickstarter campaign that rubs me the wrong way.

"A new independent racing phenomenon is en route for all Dreamcast fans." Sounds like they're a bit over confident, already calling their game a phenomenon when it's still just a beta..

"Arcade Racing Legends uses Dreamcast's maximum capacities to create astonishing race tracks with a superb gameplay." Um, we've seen the Dreamcast is graphically far more capable than that...those race tracks are far from astonishing...you just admitted the gameplay mechanics are not finished, so how do we know it's superb?

The whole campaign kinda just sounds like the usual AAA dribble and not an honest, down-to-earth indie project.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#53 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:26 am

I think I'll back a physical copy of the game, but I won't go for the extras. They're kinda not my bag for an unofficial title, and honestly I'd rather he focus his time developing the damn game rather than sourcing die cast toys of the cars.

I'm loving what I see so far, have yet to play it though, but will agree with everyone here that the tracks seem really bland and could do with improving. Hopefully that'll be on his agenda.

Conceptually: Fantastic
Reality: Uncertain

I'd likely avoid it if it weren't Joshprod, only because he's already made several successful releases even if this is outside his usual wheelhouse.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#54 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 am

JoshProd finally responded to someone asking if it was an iOS port:

"Hello, this game use same engine than 4x4 jam, we enhanced the engine a long time ago, i talked about that on an interview on megavisionsmag since more than one year. The work in progress track you saw on video was took on proracing (just for the beta)"
https://twitter.com/knifesuisse/status/ ... 2904799235

So as megavolt said earlier, it's using the 4x4 Jam engine. So Racing Pro and 4x4 Jam had a baby. lol If you've played 4x4 Jam, you pretty much know what to expect then. It's 4x4 Jam with the tracks from Racing Pro.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

megavolt85
Developer

Post#55 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 am

actually according to the first video it was visible that it is engine 4x4 Jam
it is strongly specific the suspender is shaken and the machine not naturally enters turns, all as in 4x4 Jam

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#56 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 am

So this game won't have multiplayer since it's 4x4 jam?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#57 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am

Woodneeded wrote:So this game won't have multiplayer since it's 4x4 jam?

That's the 105,000€ stretch goal.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

megavolt85
Developer

Post#58 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am

developers need to think not about multiplayer mode, the main problem it to make physics according to the selected car, otherwise a game will not be popular
Agree to drive not comfortably the sports car which is shaken as the SUV

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#59 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Tarnish wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:On a different note JoshProd posted this as part of a post on their Facebook page: "Note that this Work In Progress build is really far of the final version, now landscape have more details, we'll add drift, boost and more ARCADE options"

That is nice to see that they will add drifting and boost mechanics to the game. I think it would change the whole feel of the game if it was made to do that. 4X4 Jam while fun, has some pretty bouncy physics and stuff.

I know it shouldn't be up to us to supply his team with new tracks, BUT, he did tell me he was open to the idea of adding new tracks for the game if the community wanted to send him some before the release of the game. So if any modelers want to take a crack at making a track or 2, we could always send them his way. I feel like the number of tracks and cars are a bit on the low side. Only 6 tracks? Yeah, we need more than that. Even if nobody knows how to make them from scratch, we could always search for some free track models on free 3D model sites and see if they could be used.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#60 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:27 am

I watched the vid yesterday. And I will admit, the dreamcast demo version of the game, is looking kinda cool.
And it even has a snow stage too. Something about it, reminds me of that 4x4 Evo racing game, and 4 Wheel Thunder.

If Josh Productions is reading this:
If he is working on this game, hopefully, he doesn't go over his budget, to hire too many people to work on it etc. or overwork himself. Otherwise, he might tire himself out, and the dreamcast version of the game, might be put on hold for a long time.

In all honesty, this racing game looks like it has, alot of potential. :)