CDI collection of Katana SDK demos to play on your Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

CDI collection of Katana SDK demos to play on your Dreamcast

Post#1 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Hey guys, as I am sure many of you know by now, AssemblerGames is closing down in 29 days. I was contacted there by a user named accel99 to spread his collection of SDK demos around on the net so they are easier to find. I have also uploaded them to Mega, so if his original Mediafire link goes down there is a backup of this. I will just copy and post verbatim what he said to me on Assembler below.

There quite a few cdi images here so ill explain some to save you time. Most of the demos while playing give an explanation of how the effects were made on a technical level ( very useful for programmers). Dont remember if its d-pad to access this explanations. I think you might some of these pretty cool. Let me know what you thought of it. file is pretty small btw.

Cheapbumpmapping - a demo of fast method bumpmapping
dracofly - a dragonfly with full screen motionblur applied
flare1 - lensflare demo that reacts to being obscured
Fortune - demo overlaying playing cards on top of each other as a way to show 1.1 gigapixel fill rate.
gasfl - a demo showing candle lights reflecting on goggles
k2cyberk - bouncy things that can stack up to 50 of them racing by
k2flight - a spaceship flying over the horizon where you can turn off/on things from the scene
k2stained - lighting going through a stained glass window ,showing the window on the floor and dynamic shadow from wall its on.
k2trees - demo showing performance of punchthrough texture by using interactive trees on a mountain.
knot - a wooden knot showing up bumpmapping
Lightbeamvolume - Using volume modifier to make light shafts
marblecheapshadows - demo showing shadows of bars on a statues face, using specific function of volume modifiers to make fast shadows.
materials - shows different textures on different shapes using 3 different methods of bumpmapping to achieve different looks.
perspectshadow - using render to texture and light position to get a shadow.
presortshadow - different methods of making sure polygons inside volume shadows dont overlap
punchthrough - showing many trees on a snowy hill to demonstrate punchthrough texture.
Scannervolume - using volume modifier to project a different texture on the dinosaur model allowing you to see its skeleton.
shadow1 - using light as a camera and multitexuring to render a real time shadowmap of a teapot on an uneven surface(like modern games)
splitscreen - spinning teapots shown in split screen achieved by tile clipping or pixel clipping
toyplace - simple demo of fog
tvrender - showing render to texture use to make reflection on mirror and projection on the tv.
Vase - a demo showing an environment mapped vase that using its texture to ensure the environment map shows in the right spots.
Wheel - all methods of bumpmapping use combined to show realistic graphics on a interactive tire/wheel demo
wrace - interactive demo to show table fog.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v4k4yfwgw ... _katana.7z

Download: https://mega.nz/#!qZFnQSAS!eBDhs50Yex87 ... g92R2IHhdw

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: CDI collection of Katana SDK demos to play on your Dreamcast

Post#2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 pm

ty for this

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:49 pm

I wish there was a video of these Katana SDK demos on YouTube to watch. It would certainly help accel99 in his goal of popularizing these demos!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#4 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am

They aren't on a single cdi?

Can I recommend accell99 to check out the ginsu folder?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

Unfortunately not, they are all single .cdi's.I agree that it would be great in this case if all were on 1 image.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#6 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:47 am

Sorry for the bump but I did make an effort to create a multi-disc for this.

They're all data-data is the problem, so the existing DreamcastCdiTool package can't load them, either in DreamOn or DP3. Furthermore, I think I overloaded DreamOn menu with it. I used all 256x256 JPGs for everything, and while in-emulator, the menu worked up until shadow1 where textures were a bit silly, the Dreamcast genuinely went berserk trying to render it. Halfway through the intro, the right side locks up, and the menu tries to push frames, but only one third of the screen was capable of updating.

The DP3 menu was far smoother, obviously, but on both, they fail to boot any games, simply restarting my Dreamcast. I didn't try -relocate, but I presume that would fail since all the demos likely share too many essential components.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:11 am

Anyone have the SCUD Race rolling demo? I thought that was an SDK demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAN6bfeuBs