ONScripter, a Visual Novel Engine for SEGA Dreamcast (Free, Open Source)

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Nz17
St.Jimmy

ONScripter, a Visual Novel Engine for SEGA Dreamcast (Free, Open Source)

Post#1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 am

1) https://onscripter.osdn.jp/onscripter.html
2) http://sdl-dc.sourceforge.net/onscripter-dc.html

For years I've been thinking about using ONScripter to make a Dreamcast release, but it's never happened. Has anyone here ever used this before? It would be awesome if someone were to "port" some worthwhile visual novels which use this engine to the SEGA Dreamcast! And there's no denying it would be wonderful if a "dev scene" happened around people making their own Dreamcast-original ONScripter visual novels too!

The first link is a site where all the current development of ONScripter happens and is posted. It has a lot of info about the engine, but not all of it is in English. The second link has links to the engine's source files, a compiled binary for Dreamcast, and a Nero image which is ready-to-burn.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: ONScripter, a Visual Novel Engine for SEGA Dreamcast (Free, Open Source)

Post#2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am

As it's an engine port old pc game's should work on it.. I dont think anyone knew what it was. I tryed it a few time's

chaoskaiser72
noob

Re: ONScripter, a Visual Novel Engine for SEGA Dreamcast (Free, Open Source)

Post#3 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am

The ONScripter Dreamcast port is from 2001, which was long before the engine was considerably stable, and about five years before English support was added. It's well within our reach to script in NScripter, but if you hope to do so on Dreamcast, the port shall need to be updated. I'm an NScripter programmer myself and have been interested in making things for/porting things to Dreamcast, but haven't got a clue how things are compiled etc. on it. If anyone wishes to collab on this, I can offer plenty of info about the engine and its workings.