Dreamcast port of the original 'Alone in The Dark' games

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

animekai
lithium

Re: Dreamcast port of the original 'Alone in The Dark' games

Post#11 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:21 am

did someone could compile the github? i've tried but im keep getting errors, like the sdl2_mixer.lib, can't be found it said, can someone help us building the binary?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 am

We dont have SDL2 mixer on dreamcast you talking the pc build ? if it says that for building dreamcast it's the wrong build command with cmake

we will just have to wait and see

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#13 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:31 am

This is one of favorite game of all time. I hope something will be released.

I was in touch with Vincent Hamm (Free in the Dark) few months ago and ask him is there was any news. Here is a part of our conversation :

> Le 5 mai 2021 à 22:25, Vincent Hamm a écrit :
>
> 
> C'est pas super d'actualité non. Le projet doit être merge dans scummvm (ou residual) mais je sais pas trop ou ca en est.
>
> Pourquoi?
>
> -Vincent
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM lolo CrashMidnick wrote:
>
> Bonsoir Vincent,
>
>
>
> Je viens de voir que tu as travaillé sure les sources de Free in the Dark, le projet est-il toujours d’actualité ou il a été abandonné ?
>
>
>
> Merci.
> Bonne soirée.
>
> Loïc.

ENG Translation :

> On May 5, 2021 at 10:25 pm, Vincent Hamm wrote:
>
>
> I am not really working on it, no. The project should be merge into scummvm (or residual) but I'm not sure how is it going.
>
> Why?
>
> -Vincent
>
> On Tue May 4, 2021 at 13:42 lolo CrashMidnick wrote:
>
> Good evening Vincent,
>
>
>
> I just saw that you worked on Free in the Dark sources, is the project still relevant or has it been abandoned?
>
>
>
> Thank you.
> Good evening.

I keep the rest of the conversation private but it seems that SCUMMVM team has got newer sources from Vincent.

If the Dreamcast port is based on FITD, did Corbin improve the code ?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 am

Only thing i can do today is gbc auto port self boot of this

rather good to me slightly more play-able then the dos og game lol

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#15 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:16 am

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#16 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 am

Green Ranger wrote:Found this video by 'Corbin A.', who's porting the original Alone In The Dark games (1 and 2) to the Dreamcast. While the video is 7 years old, Corbin stated a week ago that work on this port has resumed- so there's a possibility of a release in the future. :)

This guy is unable to finish any project. Its not worth mentioning
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am

CrashMidnick wrote:We have the original on DC ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_G85XaXNc4

I know this but being gbc it's more like alone in the dark old dos game then the dc one

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#18 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:34 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
CrashMidnick wrote:We have the original on DC ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_G85XaXNc4

I know this but being gbc it's more like alone in the dark old dos game then the dc one

The DOS trilogy are the best to me, not because they are old school but enigmas and atmosphere are just perfect.

We need a DOS emulator on DC, imagine that the old DS (67mhz) can run it quite well via DSX86 (closed sources...) and very well on DSi (133mhz) and full speed via DS2X86 (special flashcard requiered with 400mhz CPU).

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#19 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:49 am

dosbox runs 8 mhz max on dreamcast dosbox is cycle perfect emulator you can barely run txt games It's so slow simple dos game takes mins upto 4 to load.

Forget about emulated a 286 or anything like that at use-able speed for a game like this..
We have dos emulators but none will run this game at any level more then a moving slide show
I worked on it best you could hope for is TXT based games running ok with frameskip of 3 to 4..

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#20 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 am

Ian Micheal wrote:dosbox runs 8 mhz max on dreamcast dosbox is cycle perfect emulator you can barely run txt games It's so slow simple dos game takes mins upto 4 to load.

Forget about emulated a 286 or anything like that at use-able speed for a game like this..
We have dos emulators but none will run this game at any level more then a moving slide show
I worked on it best you could hope for is TXT based games running ok with frameskip of 3 to 4..

DosBox is too heavy yes, like DSX86, a special emulator needs to be developped with some hacks. I contacted the author from DSX86 if it is possible to give the source code but he does not want : part of the code is used in a commercial project...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeoGzFW_WBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65LwDQvyuBo
I did not find a video showing alone in the dark with dsx86 but it is working very well.