GLdc - A new OpenGL implementation for the Dreamcast!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

kazade
Developer

GLdc - A new OpenGL implementation for the Dreamcast!

Post#1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

I thought it was time for me to announce this more publically now that it's getting to a really good state.

GLdc is a new OpenGL 1.1+ implementation for the Dreamcast. It is already powering at least two in-development Dreamcast games (Reaperi Cycle is one and you'll have definitely heard of the other :) )

It improves on libGL by more strictly adhering to the spec and it has a faster near "zero-copy" near-z clipping implementation. It supports a bunch of stuff:

- Dynamic memory allocation - only uses the memory you need
- Lots of texture data formats
- Dreamcast specific formats to glCompressedTexImage2D
- Per-vertex Lighting
- Automatic mipmap generation (glGenerateMipmapEXT)
- Triangles, Quads, Triangle Strips and Polygons
- glVertexPointer et al.
- Immediate mode
- Fog

I'm currently working on paletted texture support, and spotlights, as well as more performance improvements.

It's being lined up to become the default implementation in the KallistiOS ports repository. If you're a developer I'd appreciate it if you give it a go, report bugs, and send patches.

If you're not a developer, or you are and you're making use of my work. I've started a Patreon for my DC game development work, and I could use the support: https://www.patreon.com/kazade

This is the first of a few big announcements from me coming over the next couple of months. Stay tuned!

P.S. There's a video of it in action here (the low-poly look is intentional, it's totally capable of fully textured scenes):

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: GLdc - A new OpenGL implementation for the Dreamcast!

Post#2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Great news bud! Can't wait to see games start using this API! On the link you provided it says you are trying to get as many features of OpenGL 1.2 added as possible. So this should mean more complex source ports should be possible, like for instance Forsaken or maybe Turok?

Would be great to get a hardware accelerated version of Quake that is fully modable. I know Shouma mentioned here he was going to get Quake World running on OpenGL, but that is primarily multiplayer based.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10976&start=60#p109767

Some great singleplayer mods would be great. I wonder how hard it would be for it to be implemented to Makaqu? I know rendering with hardware should theoretically give it a much needed boost in FPS.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 am

Quite awesome. You are a man of many talents. Keep us posted!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am

Excellent news. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

lerabot
blackout!

Post#5 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Can only comment on how nice it is to work on a game when people developping tools for it are withing reach... well online reach!

Keep up the good work!
Indie Game Studio

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#6 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Looks really good for sure, please keep up the good work !