2018 and counting- Doom for Dreamcast Online

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: 2018 and counting- Doom for Dreamcast Online

Post#61 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Sonic is too fast for dial-up!

Lol! But really, this was a BBA only game at the beginning and the link to burn it didn't work. This forum was trying to acknowledge that. Very few people have ever played it online with the BBA. To quote DR TEAMCAST: nobody has actually gotten it to work, or even knows if it works. The guide on OnlineConsoles is very vauge, and when I asked LordNikon (OC admin and the only known person who knows how it works) he wouldn't tell me because "if you know how networking works you should know how to do it" and because he's a condescending asswipe to everyone who's come into contact with him

this forum exists because LordNikon banned Radkin for stupid shit, so impulse and radkin made dreamcast-talk

So the link to burn the game doesn't even work. I hope Shou works on the BBA compatible Doom. I know Shou can. He is incredible :D

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#62 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:43 pm

I did just contact Impulse for verification of this, but I recall about 13 years ago we did connect via BBA and played for about 20 mins until we disconnected. I could be wrong about BBA but I remember using Radkin's DC instead of mine. I know she was the only one at that time in the house that had the BBA. The other four Dreamcasts were dial-up.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#63 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pm

I was checking my backups and I found this:

Version 1.2 by Chilly Willy ([email protected]) based on Doom for the PSP Version 1.4 by Chilly Willy based on ADoomPPC version 1.7 by Jarmo Laakkonen ([email protected]) based on ADoomPPC version 1.3 by Joseph Fenton based on ADoom version 1.2 by Peter McGavin.

Danzeff OSK by Danzel and Jeff Chen. Mus2Midi by Ben Ryves. WildMidi by Chris Ison.

PAL selection menu by BlueCrab.

MSX Font by Marcus R. Brown, James Forshaw, and John Kelley.

Network Settings: Press A to enter the Network Settings sub-menu. This will be disabled if the network failed to initialize during the startup.

Play Network Game: Press A to toggle on or off. Must be on to play against others via the network.

Player Number: Hold A and use the d-pad to set your player number. All players must have different numbers.

Deathmatch: Press A to toggle on or off. When on, the game runs in deathmatch mode, and players will start in different locations and you get frag stats at the end of the level. When off, the players all start in the same place.

Alt Deathmatch: Press A to toggle on or off. When on, the game runs in version 2 deathmatch mode where everything is doubled. This has priority over the Deathmatch settings.

Starting Skill Level: Hold A and use the d-pad to select the skill level you will start at.

Starting Map Level: Hold A and use the d-pad to select the map you will start on. Values are 1 to 32 for Doom 2, 1 to 27 for Doom 1, 1 to 36 for the Ultimate Doom, and 1 to 9 for shareware Doom.

Timed Game: Hold A and use the d-pad to set the number of minutes the level will last.

A.V.G.: Press A to toggle on or off. When on, the level will last 20 minutes.

Copy Stats: Press A to toggle on or off. When on, allows an external statistics program to capture the intermission screen statistics.

Force Version: Hold A and use the d-pad to set the version of DOOM. This can allow you to play against people with a different version of DOOM.

Use PC Checksum: Press A to toggle on or off. When on, uses the same method of computing the checksum for network packets as the PC version. This may allow you to play against PC versions of Doom rather than just other DCs. This should allow play with Doom for the PSP and SDL_Doom v1.10 in linux, among other versions.

Network Port: Hold A and use the d-pad to change the port which will be used to network the players.

Network Player #1: Press A to enter a network address for the first network player via the OSK. This can be either an IP address, or a network
address name. If you do use a name, it CANNOT start with '-' or '.', or a number.

Network Player #2: Press A to enter a network address for the second network player via the OSK.

Network Player #3: Press A to enter a network address for the third network player via the OSK.

Local Network Address: This shows the network address for this DC and cannot be changed.

Network Extra Tic: Press A to toggle on or off. Extra Tic tells DOOM to send the previous ticcmd along with the current one. This effectively
handles single packet losses without a delay, but doubles the bandwidth of data transmitted.

Network Tic Dup: Hold A and use the d-pad to change. Valid range is one to nine. Tic Dup tells DOOM to send ticcmds at a lower rate to reduce network traffic. The normal rate is to send ticcmds 35 times per second. Setting Tic Dup to '2' tells DOOM to send ticcmds 17.5 times per second, and so forth. However, doing this reduces the accuracy of movement for network players.

About: Press A to see the About screen.

One name of note...Blue Crab. This was dated July 28th, 2010. I have to see if it goes online via BBA. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I will need a volunteer to test if it comes to that.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#64 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:07 am

Sonic1994DC wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:Sonic is too fast for dial-up!

Lol! But really, this was a BBA only game at the beginning and the link to burn it didn't work. This forum was trying to acknowledge that. Very few people have ever played it online with the BBA. To quote DR TEAMCAST: nobody has actually gotten it to work, or even knows if it works. The guide on OnlineConsoles is very vauge, and when I asked LordNikon (OC admin and the only known person who knows how it works) he wouldn't tell me because "if you know how networking works you should know how to do it" and because he's a condescending asswipe to everyone who's come into contact with him

this forum exists because LordNikon banned Radkin for stupid shit, so impulse and radkin made dreamcast-talk

So the link to burn the game doesn't even work. I hope Shou works on the BBA compatible Doom. I know Shou can. He is incredible :D

Man I remember that Nikon comment, I think I had an equally similar experience with him before regarding PSO back in the day.

Regarding Doom, I hope this gets released soon rather than later, and Id hope to see better performance out of the BBA if anyone can get it working. Still hoping to see QuakeWorld footage/released too.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#65 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 am

We all remember those kind words from "The Lord". He is such a caring being and a great inspiration to us all...oh, wrong Lord, sorry.

I am gonna try to test this later with someone else via BBA.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#66 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:We all remember those kind words from "The Lord". He is such a caring being and a great inspiration to us all...oh, wrong Lord, sorry.

I am gonna try to test this later with someone else via BBA.

Can you burn me a disc? I don't have a computer to do so