VALVE considering developing hardware

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mephiles550
letterbomb

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I have a difficult time imagining steam developing hardware in the console category.
Even with the huge success that is steam, I don't think they'll go further then that in terms of how far a company like them can leap.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#22 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am

Where's Kindergarten Cop when you need him?...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

MrSega

Post#23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am

@stu. How is it hyopocricy when just to make a point,Snarky brought up an opinion of mine that's unrelated to the topic & used it as a personal shot at me thus throwing the topic off track?

Frankly, I'm sick of trolls like you turning all "SEGA" discussions into "anti Sega","none of its true","I'll try to prove its false" flame debates while taking every single post I or others like me make into a personal attack while twisting words. I won't have it.

By personally attacking me, you've thrown this topic off balance. You're guilty & thats why I've reported you.

This is not about me, this is not about Sega, This is about VALVE. Make it about that.

I'm done, now get back on topic.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#24 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 am

MrSega wrote:I'm done, now get back on topic.

Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

MrSega

Post#25 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

Mephiles550 wrote:I have a difficult time imagining steam developing hardware in the console category.
Even with the huge success that is steam, I don't think they'll go further then that in terms of how far a company like them can leap.

I think Steam will remain niche until a strong widly global successful game brand takes a shot at it & runs with it. Until then, it'll probably remain a PC gaming only thing.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#26 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 am

MrSega wrote:
Logic wrote:Close, but could still technically be true depending on.

The Genesis sales estimate pegs it at 37-41 Million I believe.

42 Million estimated by 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

Snarky, you don't think SEGA has access to Steam techology? Well they do & the upcomming tablet will run entirely on Steam.

But this topic ain't about SEGA, its about VALVE considering making an On-Live like console that'll be just as niche. Please try to stay on topic.

How did I go off topic? You saying Valve and Steam is a niche brand is either a) trolling, b) ignorance, or c) trying to get people to ignore this topic and focus on your Sega rumors. I don't really want to get into it with you though.

As for Steam technology…"running on Steam?" Nothing runs on Steam. Steam is just a content distribution platform, like iTunes. If you're talking about the Source engine that Valve uses, then that's a different story.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Post#27 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am

Feh if valve made a console I wouldn't buy it. I'd buy a nintendo console before I bought a valve console and I HATE nintendo with a flaming passion...

MrSega

Post#28 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 am

Hiryosuke wrote:Feh if valve made a console I wouldn't buy it. I'd buy a nintendo console before I bought a valve console and I HATE nintendo with a flaming passion...

It would basicly be like On-Live. So niche, limited distribution that only VALVE hardcore fans would even care.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#29 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 am

MrSega wrote:
Hiryosuke wrote:Feh if valve made a console I wouldn't buy it. I'd buy a nintendo console before I bought a valve console and I HATE nintendo with a flaming passion...

It would basicly be like On-Live. So niche, limited distribution that only VALVE hardcore fans would even care.

…Why would only Valve fans care? I don't think you've ever used Steam. It's more or less THE digital distribution platform for all PC games, not just Valve games. It's a monopoly, and EA is trying to compete with Origin which really isn't going over well. No one wants to use it because they have Steam. Even I have a Steam account with games and I really don't play PC games. I probably have maybe 10 PC games vs. over 300 console games, but Steam is almost a requirement for PC games. If Valve made a console based around the Steam library of games, it would decimate OnLive and probably make a good run against other consoles. Steam has a few thousand games; On Live has 200. OnLive is niche for a reason.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#30 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 am

Comrade Snarky wrote:How did I go off topic? You saying Valve and Steam is a niche brand is either a) trolling, b) ignorance, or c) trying to get people to ignore this topic and focus on your Sega rumors. I don't really want to get into it with you though.

As for Steam technology…"running on Steam?" Nothing runs on Steam. Steam is just a content distribution platform, like iTunes. If you're talking about the Source engine that Valve uses, then that's a different story.

I picked all three. :D

Back on Topic

Something else I read in the Penny Arcade interview, is that Gabe Newell was talking about what he called "wearable computers" and then used smart phones and tablets as examples. I'm speculating here, but maybe he is thinking along the lines of developing a gaming tablet that is linked to Steam. The hardcore gaming equivelent of the Amazon Kindle Fire.