hey guys~

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MistaBuck
letterbomb

hey guys~

Post#1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:36 am

I've been away from this forum for sometime now, and I have some more ideas I would like to share with you guys ♥

Someone at the Sega forums told me something a few months ago. He said that SegaSammy Execs probably won't let Sega develop a console because they deemed it "not profitable", even though they hypothetically have the funds... HOWEVER, This was probably stated several years ago; probably before 2007 when Sega started regaining popularity in Japan. Because of their growing popularity in Japan, Sega could be, hypothetically, convincing SegaSammy that it in fact IS profitable, albeit risky. With the many fans, and even non-fans that grew up with Sega consoles, yearning for a new console, maybe just maybe , it could be possible...

Think about it. The faces of "the big three" are changing. Microsoft's Xbox 360 failed in Japan, and There is a many people questioning Nintendo's WiiU plus the poor sales of the 3DS. The only one that's going fairly smoothly in all regions as of late is Sony's PS3, but even that had problems (lulzsec, anyone?). In light of this, contrary to most people's beliefs, I think there's room for another console manufacturer.

Considering that Apple has no plans for a console (Steve Jobs R.I.P), the only company I can see developing a console is in fact Sega. Why do I say that? a few reasons...

1. Sega has been in the console business before (of course), so they probably know a few things about how to run a console system.

2. Sega never really abandoned the Hardware market in terms of Arcade Hardware. I know Namco does the same thing, but they never even HAD a console before.

3. SegaSammy Has the money to support a console. Sure their not the biggest company in the world, but neither is Nintendo.

4. Sega DOES make good games. I'll admit they had a rough spot between 2005 and 2008, but they have been slowly coming out of that.

5. Sega has ties with other developers. Unlike the Dreamcast era, Sega has a steady relationship with EA, and others.

6. Sega has the potential support for a console. Of course there are Sega fans who will grab it with open arms, but even the general gamer who grew up with Sega (especially the Mega Drive/Genesis) will probably support it.

Now I'm not saying Sega Will Make a console. I'm just saying that It's possible.

In any case, I'll be making another topic on what the console should look like, and what features and games it should have.
Natural Harmonia Gropius

CruSega
Doom

Re: hey guys~

Post#2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:41 pm

I want a new Sega Console too, so long as it doesn't become Sega's "Jaguar". People were saying the same things about Atari back in the 1990s like how everyone grew up on the 2600 (except Japan who hate any foreign videogame system) and were longing for their childhood hero to make a triumphant return.

Like Sega, Atari followed up the popular 2600 with the ill-conceived 5200 and by the time they had the 7200, the competition was overwhelming and they were forced out of the market. The 7200 was the Dreamcast of the late 80s in many ways.

Like Sega, Atari moved to software publishing with AtariSoft, making games on the Commodore 64, Intellivision, Colecovision, TI 99/4A, etc.

Atari 2600 is also one of the few consoles in history with an add-on known as the Arcadia Supercharger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIQIQF9AFQ. I purchased one during the crash of 1984 for $25 and it was actually pretty good. No more flickering, better graphics.

Only other similar concept in gaming history is the Sega 32X and Sega CD. Turbographx CD doesn't count since NEC were never claiming that it would boost the system's raw power.

Sega is facing two well entrenched consoles in the PS3 and XBox 360 just like Atari did with the Genesis and SNES and Atari fans were very excited back in the 90s but sentiment only gets you so far in this industry.

As long as the Sega console does not end up looking like a toilet seat the way Jag with the Jag CD on top did, Sega should be fine. It's the inside that really matters and Sega better have a console that is still competitive when the XBox 720 arrives.

Wouldn't surprise me if the suits at Sammy are thinking about Atari like me.

MrSega

Post#3 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:32 pm

MistaBuck wrote:I've been away from this forum for sometime now, and I have some more ideas I would like to share with you guys ♥

Someone at the Sega forums told me something a few months ago. He said that SegaSammy Execs probably won't let Sega develop a console because they deemed it "not profitable", even though they hypothetically have the funds... HOWEVER, This was probably stated several years ago; probably before 2007 when Sega started regaining popularity in Japan. Because of their growing popularity in Japan, Sega could be, hypothetically, convincing SegaSammy that it in fact IS profitable, albeit risky. With the many fans, and even non-fans that grew up with Sega consoles, yearning for a new console, maybe just maybe , it could be possible...

Think about it. The faces of "the big three" are changing. Microsoft's Xbox 360 failed in Japan, and There is a many people questioning Nintendo's WiiU plus the poor sales of the 3DS. The only one that's going fairly smoothly in all regions as of late is Sony's PS3, but even that had problems (lulzsec, anyone?). In light of this, contrary to most people's beliefs, I think there's room for another console manufacturer.

Considering that Apple has no plans for a console (Steve Jobs R.I.P), the only company I can see developing a console is in fact Sega. Why do I say that? a few reasons...

1. Sega has been in the console business before (of course), so they probably know a few things about how to run a console system.

2. Sega never really abandoned the Hardware market in terms of Arcade Hardware. I know Namco does the same thing, but they never even HAD a console before.

3. SegaSammy Has the money to support a console. Sure their not the biggest company in the world, but neither is Nintendo.

4. Sega DOES make good games. I'll admit they had a rough spot between 2005 and 2008, but they have been slowly coming out of that.

5. Sega has ties with other developers. Unlike the Dreamcast era, Sega has a steady relationship with EA, and others.

6. Sega has the potential support for a console. Of course there are Sega fans who will grab it with open arms, but even the general gamer who grew up with Sega (especially the Mega Drive/Genesis) will probably support it.

Now I'm not saying Sega Will Make a console. I'm just saying that It's possible.

In any case, I'll be making another topic on what the console should look like, and what features and games it should have.

Everything you said is true in every since. The thing is, Mircosoft knows that it is not welcomed in Japan. As soon as SEGA releases another console, I predict that Mircosoft Japan will shut down.

SEGA doesn't have to worry about a PS4. Because Sony isn't building one, Xbox Bulldozer itself will be a pretty powerful machine, but it won't have the revolutionary design that RINGWAVE/Futura will have and will still be slightly weaker & a bit steeper.

@CruSega. While that is an interesting analogy, there's alot of inaccuracies. Dreamcast was more like ColecoVision not the 7200. 7200 in fact doesn't exist. You probably meant 7800, but then again in 1986, 7800 was a weak dated console compared to NES & SMS. The reason why DC was like ColecoVision is because like DC, ColecoVision was a powerful system,revolutionary,charming,likeable and different. Had loads of potentional & like DC was discontinued untimely.

The Wii is more like the 2600 in my opinion. 2600 was the first of its kind, but by 1979, there were more powerful machines out than 2600. Much like Wii, 2600 had a casual appeal,was primatitive, underpowered & had concepts considered novelty. Wii U will be just like 5200, following up on a successful casual gaming console, with the same concept,same library and a bulky faulty controller. With less 3rd party support that will sink it.

Unlike SEGA, Atari died 7 years after leaving the hardware business & continued to decline,shrink & lost all profitbility. Jaguar failed because it was archetectural disaster, not because it didn't have good games because it was such a mess of a hardware machine. 3rd party developers found it a pain to program. 4 16-bit processors, 1 Lockhead Martin 3D polygon engine, Sprites up to 100,000 colors, 100,000 polygons per second, & 2MBs of internal memory. All these made for a complicated mess of a console that was costly in development cost budget, confusing and unconvincing.

Now I don't hate Jaguar. It was a promising console. And there were plenty of loopholes developers could have explored, but Sam Tremiel learned nothing from the horrid mistakes his father made. One was that you NEVER try to downplay the competition, two is that if your competitor hs
a more powerful console i.e. Saturn,don't try to compare yours if your not an enigneer exepert & 3. If you design a faulty glitchy CD attactment to console only 10% of consumers own, its probably not a good idea.

If your wondering what forced SEGA to stop making consoles, the anwser is pretty simple: SEGA Enterprises,LTD was burnt out on thier budget. It was stretched too thin. SEGA/CSK went from being worth $10 billion to only being worth $2 billion in just 10 years time. They spend $8 billion during the entire decade of the 1990s on too much hardware, two many home consumer products. By 1998, SEGA had a total of 7 home consumer products worldwide still in commerce: Genesis/Mega Drive, SEGA CD,Game Gear,Sega 32X,PICO,Nomad & Saturn.

Dreamcast was going to stay going until 2004. SEGA & Soichiro Iwajiri WANTED to keep fighting, it was Isao Okawa that threw in the towel.

SEGA never wanted to stop, they knew that they were going to have to go on a five year hitaus from home hardware that has lasted 10.

As of 2011, SEGASammy is worth $20 billion, 3Xs the amount of SEGA/CSK's 1989 net worth. If they only spend $1.3 billion in budget on 2 new home consumer products $300 million on KIDS PAD & $800 million on RINGWAVE/Futura, they should be fine. After all they earned $4.5 billion in revenue in 2009 and $5.0 billion in 2010.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#4 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 pm

MrSega wrote:@CruSega. While that is an interesting analogy, there's alot of inaccuracies.

Inaccuracies?? :lol:

I'd be careful of who you are accusing of being inaccurate MrSega. Going through your little post was like taking a long walk down "Inaccuracy Boulevard". :lol:

Lets start with this:

MrSega wrote:
Unlike SEGA, Atari died 7 years after leaving the hardware business & continued to decline,shrink & lost all profitbility. Jaguar failed because it was archetectural disaster, not because it didn't have good games because it was such a mess of a hardware machine. 3rd party developers found it a pain to program. 4 16-bit processors, 1 Lockhead Martin 3D polygon engine, Sprites up to 100,000 colors, 100,000 polygons per second, & 2MBs of internal memory. All these made for a complicated mess of a console that was costly in development cost budget, confusing and unconvincing.

For a start the Jaguar only had 1 16 bit processor, a Motorola 68000, it was there primarily to boot the system and for processing the inputs from the controllers. The Jag had 2 32 bit processors, namely the GPU and DSP. It also had 2 64 bit processors, which were the Blitter and Object Processor. In addition to this the data path on the Jaguar was 64 bit, allowing it 64 bit access to the onboard RAM. The flaws in the Jag are that there were some bugs within the hardware and just like the Saturn, the Jag lacked proper development documentation and programming libraries and this led a lot of developers to program the machine in a similar way to how they would approach the MegaDrive/Genesis in that they would use the 68000 as the main CPU rather than one of the 32 bit RISC chips.

BTW Lockheed Martin had no part in the design of the Jaguar, it was primarily developed by a UK company called Flair Technology.

On to the next part:

MrSega wrote:
If your wondering what forced SEGA to stop making consoles, the anwser is pretty simple: SEGA Enterprises,LTD was burnt out on thier budget. It was stretched too thin. SEGA/CSK went from being worth $10 billion to only being worth $2 billion in just 10 years time. They spend $8 billion during the entire decade of the 1990s on too much hardware, two many home consumer products. By 1998, SEGA had a total of 7 home consumer products worldwide still in commerce: Genesis/Mega Drive, SEGA CD,Game Gear,Sega 32X,PICO,Nomad & Saturn.

Dreamcast was going to stay going until 2004. SEGA & Soichiro Iwajiri WANTED to keep fighting, [b]it was Isao Okawa that threw in the towel.

Isao Okawa didn't "threw in the towel" he was watching the Sega division of CSK going deeper and deeper in to debt and said "enough!" , the guy basically gave his entire personal fortune to Sega to help pay off it's debts. Had he not stopped Sega's run there I beleive that Sega would of surely gone bankrupt.
Last edited by stu on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:03 pm

MistaBuck wrote:I've been away from this forum for sometime now, and I have some more ideas I would like to share with you guys ♥

All these are very valid points. However from the way I look at it Sega is a very different company than it was 10 years ago. The Management at Sammy is a lot more financially conservative than Sega's management was back then. Also a lot of the employees involved in Sega's console are either retired or no longer working there. Also Sega would need to create an increased Network Infrastructure to support the online side of things, this would cost a lot of money.

Edit:
On the subject of Apple, there are rumblings that Apple might be about to release some form of living room system, possibly a form of Smart TV incorporating the AppleTV system into an Apple branded TV. Valve's President Gabe Newell discusses it here:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3885 ... ing-Newell

Quote: "Off the back of rampant industry speculation that Apple will eventually launch its own internet-enabled televisions, Newell said he “suspects Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations”.

Though he claimed to have no solid information on the device, he said “the notion of a separate console platform will disappear” if Apple launched such a product."

craziestrufis
Graffiti Grind

Post#6 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:01 pm

stu wrote:

All these are very valid points. However from the way I look at it Sega is a very different company than it was 10 years ago. The Management at Sammy is a lot more financially conservative than Sega's management was back then. Also a lot of the employees involved in Sega's console are either retired or no longer working there. Also Sega would need to create an increased Network Infrastructure to support the online side of things, this would cost a lot of money.

Edit:
On the subject of Apple, there are rumblings that Apple might be about to release some form of living room system, possibly a form of Smart TV incorporating the AppleTV system into an Apple branded TV. Valve's President Gabe Newell discusses it here:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3885 ... ing-Newell

Quote: "Off the back of rampant industry speculation that Apple will eventually launch its own internet-enabled televisions, Newell said he “suspects Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations”.

Though he claimed to have no solid information on the device, he said “the notion of a separate console platform will disappear” if Apple launched such a product."

hay mr sega her is the the 1 thing u were talking a bout http://blog.wirebot.com/2011/09/03/sega ... apple-app/

CruSega
Doom

Post#7 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

This was probably stated several years ago; probably before 2007 when Sega started regaining popularity in Japan. Because of their growing popularity in Japan, Sega could be, hypothetically, convincing SegaSammy that it in fact IS profitable, albeit risky. With the many fans, and even non-fans that grew up with Sega consoles, yearning for a new console, maybe just maybe , it could be possible...

Keep in mind, though, that console sales have been cannibalized by portable sales in Japan for several years already.

@CruSega. While that is an interesting analogy, there's alot of inaccuracies.Dreamcast was more like ColecoVision not the 7200. 7200 in fact doesn't exist. You probably meant 7800, but then again in 1986, 7800 was a weak dated console compared to NES & SMS. The reason why DC was like ColecoVision is because like DC, ColecoVision was a powerful system,revolutionary,charming,likeable and different. Had loads of potentional & like DC was discontinued untimely.

Colecovision actually died because of Coleco's overestimation of the Cabbage Patch Doll craze and not from the 1984 crash. It was a decent system and deserved a better fate.

The Wii is more like the 2600 in my opinion. 2600 was the first of its kind, but by 1979, there were more powerful machines out than 2600. Much like Wii, 2600 had a casual appeal,was primatitive, underpowered & had concepts considered novelty. Wii U will be just like 5200, following up on a successful casual gaming console, with the same concept,same library and a bulky faulty controller. With less 3rd party support that will sink it.

While I've never been a Nintendo fan, you really can never predict how they will do. Nintendo 64 sold like hotcakes solely because of Mario 64! I won't write off the Wi-U just yet because Miyamoto has single-handedly kept systems alive although I hope they fail.

Saturn wasn't exactly a joy to program for either. Sega were reluctant to provide their graphics library to outside developers leading to most games only utilizing one SH2 and ported carelessly over from the PS1.

Now I don't hate Jaguar. It was a promising console. And there were plenty of loopholes developers could have explored, but Sam Tremiel learned nothing from the horrid mistakes his father made. One was that you NEVER try to downplay the competition, two is that if your competitor hs
a more powerful console i.e. Saturn,don't try to compare yours if your not an enigneer exepert & 3. If you design a faulty glitchy CD attactment to console only 10% of consumers own, its probably not a good idea.

The only noteworthy Jag games were Doom, Aliens vs Predator and Tempest 2000.

I blame this on Tom Kalinske who seemed to be the mastermind behind the ill-fated 32X, Pico, Nomad, CDX and burning millions towards the end of his reign at Sega. Had Sega chose Peter Moore right after Kalinske's dismisal, the DC would have had more staying power.

Dreamcast was going to stay going until 2004. SEGA & Soichiro Iwajiri WANTED to keep fighting, it was Isao Okawa that threw in the towel.

SEGA never wanted to stop, they knew that they were going to have to go on a five year hitaus from home hardware that has lasted 10.

Many games like PS2 NiGHTS and XBox Panzer Dragoon Orta were meant for the DC.

As of 2011, SEGASammy is worth $20 billion, 3Xs the amount of SEGA/CSK's 1989 net worth. If they only spend $1.3 billion in budget on 2 new home consumer products $300 million on KIDS PAD & $800 million on RINGWAVE/Futura, they should be fine. After all they earned $4.5 billion in revenue in 2009 and $5.0 billion in 2010.

I agree. The gaming world has not been the same without a Sega console. Sega, like Apple, works on revolutionizing their respective industries while companies like Sony want to push a bluray player down gamer's throats. I am referring to Sega's development teams here, not SOA scumbags like Kalinske or Stolar.

After being a victim of the RROD, I do not want MS in the video games market any longer either.

Isao Okawa didn't "threw in the towel" he was watching the Sega division of CSK going deeper and deeper in to debt and said "enough!" , the guy basically gave his entire personal fortune to Sega to help pay off it's debts. Had he not stopped Sega's run there I beleive that Sega would of surely gone bankrupt.

From what I have read,Stu, then-CEO Peter Moore went to SOJ and told them that Sega could not afford to stay in the hardware business. This was said in the presence of all Sega's major inhouse development teams and they walked off in anger and disgrace to hear that Sega would become a 3rd party publisher.

It is not the fault of Moore because he was just working with the mess left behind by Bernie "Saturn is not Sega's Future" Stolar and Tom Kalinske who crippled the Saturn with its stealth May 1995 launch and wasting millions of company resources on losers like Nomad, Pico, 32X, CDX, Mars, SegaCD etc. Kalinske started suffering from brainfarts around 1993 and he never recovered his magic touch.

MrSega

Post#8 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 pm

@CruSega. Tom Kalinske was a anomaly. A very shrewd businessman and marketing genius. But like most game CEOs he had his faults. His main flaw became Sega of America's achilees heel: He wasn't a very smart businessman. Kalinske knew how to flawlessly market & sell his ideas. He just didn't know how to make the most ingenious business decisions. He thought it was a good idea to make SEGA CD ride the FMV multimedia coattails of the early 90s, Kalinske knew how to market. His commercials and ad campaigns were some of the greatest in gaming history. His ideas were only good on paper. I kinda understand why he had Sega of America Skunkworks design "Mars". Hayao Nakayama wasn't exactly a pleasent man to work with. He was very unethical,unruly & difficult. Kinda like Steve Jobs. Nakayama had issues of xenophobia towards Americans, and even went as far to express disdain for SOA. When development on Saturn begin in February 1993, SOA wanted in on the action but Nakayama told Away-27, keep the project top secret, tell no one outside of SEGA of Japan, only tell SOA that Genesis is getting a successor and that its a very big & powerful system more superior than 3DO. SOA had no idea what was going on so they decided to take a bunch of parts left over from SegaSonic Arcade and designed a hybrid from it litterally drawn up on a napkin.

As for the decision to leave hardware, on January 29,2001 Peter Moore held a private meeting with SEGA of Japan to ask for more investment money to support Dreamcast in the markets where it was doing well $200 million, during 2000 Soichiro Iwajiri brainstormed numorous ideas to keep Dreamcast alive, Isao Okawa was set to be apointed CEO in March but hinted privately that he planned on dissolving SEGA's entire home consumer division, With Okawa now CEO, he orders liqiudation of DC in Japan, tells Moore DC will be produced in the US until December 2001,annouces he is dying of cancer & orders SEGA to dissolve its entire hardware division. With everyone else AGAINST it.

MrSega

Post#9 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 pm

@CruSega. I also agree that Peter Moore came in way too later. Bernie Stolar was a tumor who infected Sega Of America. He was such an awful,selfish businessman. Very egotistical, idiotic & careless. He rubbed consumers & SEGA fans the wrong way with his anti Saturn hate. Not caring if Saturn owners got screwed, by refusing great Japanese titles stateside release and calling RPGs a fluke.

Also, one of the main problems SEGA had in the 1990s was that they weren't exactly a unified company. Each division did what they felt was nessassary.

But now, SEGA is more unified than ever, which is always a good thing for a company trying to make another hardware run.

As for Sony, I wish people & some game journalist would please get it through thier thick skulls "There is NO Playstation 4!" It doesn't exist. There's no trademark, no patent, nothing. PS1 & PS2 trademarks were filed 3 years in advance, PS3 7 years in advance, There's no PS4 trademark. The only PS4 that exists is for chemicals & electronic communications. Sony has lost $10 billion on PS3 & after 4 years of poor sales, 7 years of R&D and the fact that it is going to take SCEI years to EARN back that $10 billion do serious people really think that SCEI is going to blow several billion dollars on a successor?

Why do you people think Sony is putting so much effort into Vita? Because they hope it will do well enough for them to work on a PS3 successor later, duh.

MrSega

Post#10 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 pm

@CruSega. The Sega 32X design itself is actually very confusing, which is a shame because it could have been executed correctly if SEGA of America had the right idea. Mars itself would have been better as a stand alone hybrid, not some cheaply made,crappy tumor shaped cartridge attactment for Genesis.

32X was designed with System 32 chips, which in ran direct contrast with the Genesis. Since it was cartridge based, developers simply added Model 1 converter 3D chips for Model 1 arcade ports. One of the serious problems 32X suffered was that unlike SEGA CD it didn't have its own seperate processor which as a result caused many games to look no different from Genesis. Mars by itself could have held its own in power,design & charm.

SEGA CD/MEGA CD was System 24 based. But watered down. Mainly because the board itself was very costly during 1990 & SEGA had just come off an ill fated Laser Disc project witn Pioneer. It was only capable of 512 colors, S24 used 1,024 colors. Now here's what SOA could have and SHOULD have done. Sega of America had the patent design of SEGA CD so its not like they had to ask SEGA of Japan first. What Skunkworks should have done was basically take "Mars", take the SEGA CD, upgrade it rearrange its motherboard and completely tune it up with System 32 hardware. Upgrading the SEGA CD into SEGA CDX as its own more powerful hybrid design would have been smart.

Instead, we got a badly made,poorly executed, faulty freakish piece of trash low grade System 32 based hybrid that should have never been made.