False Information. Admins Please Close Thread.

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MistaBuck
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: VIDEO GAMES WTF ARE THOSE

Re: PowerVR RTX is PowerVR Series 7

Post by MistaBuck »

@stu I'll believe this Sega x ImgTec hoopla when a site like 01net reports it. I say 01net because they leaked the specs for both the PS Vita and Wii U early, so I figure they're a trustworthy source.

What Makes you and me different than Dan Kuso or MrSega is that, although we would LOVE a new Sega console, We use real logic and statistics. I'm not saying MrSega is wrong. I'm just saying that he has little to no sources or evidence to back up his claim. (although I agree with him about the supposed Lindbergh successor because of TSSZ's report about it).
Natural Harmonia Gropius

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

Dan Kuso wrote:
stu wrote:Looks like we can "look forward" to yet another "delay" in the release of this magical ray tracing Sega console until ImgTec actually develop this Power VR Series 7 chip.

My bet will be sometime in 2014/15! :lol:
Both Series 6 and Series 7 are scheduled for 2012 release as both target different markets.

I see .. hmm. you have a source for that?

Quote:

"Imagination is, in development of future products "PowerVR RTX" in plans to ray tracing features. However, from a high possibility that the design is very similar to the GPU RTU, "Adding the RTU to the PowerVR" rather than, "The shader unit is prepared for rendering 3D graphics, RTU include the potential as a "likely will come in the form of the integration."

http://translate.google.com/translate?a ... 110920023/

Sounds to me like they are barely starting to develop the chip, rather than release it at the same time as Series 6.

Dan Kuso
Banned

Post by Dan Kuso »

Series 6 (SGX2) - Next generation Smartphones/Tablets (2012)
Series 7 (RTX) - Next generation Consoles/Arcade Boards (2012)

Think of it this way, why would IMGTEC publicly speak of RTX (Siggraph 2011), if the chip wasn't to see light of day until 2014-2015? Even Series 6 hasn't seen it's grand unveil yet.

It would be akin to Series 6 being shown off in slides back in 2004 when SGX (Series 5) hadn't even been revealed.

Do You See?

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

Dan Kuso wrote:Series 6 (SGX2) - Next generation Smartphones/Tablets (2012)

Think of it this way, why would IMGTEC publicly speak of RTX (Siggraph 2011), if the chip wasn't to see light of day until 2014-2015? Even Series 6 hasn't seen it's grand unveil yet.

It would be akin to Series 6 being shown off in slides back in 2004 when SGX (Series 5) hadn't even been revealed.

Do You See?

Hmm nice story :lol:

Like I asked before.

Where is your credible source?

Edit:
To answer your point:
Its called a technology roadmap, it shows where a company is planning to take their tech over a fixed period of time, eg 2 years, AMD, Nvidia and Intel all do this, as an example its how the industry knows the codenames of Nvidia's next 2 GPU architectures, namely Kepler and Maxwell.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/21/nvid ... 11-maxwel/

So do YOU see Dan? :)
Last edited by stu on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

MistaBuck wrote:@stu I'll believe this Sega x ImgTec hoopla when a site like 01net reports it. I say 01net because they leaked the specs for both the PS Vita and Wii U early, so I figure they're a trustworthy source.

What Makes you and me different than Dan Kuso or MrSega is that, although we would LOVE a new Sega console, We use real logic and statistics. I'm not saying MrSega is wrong. I'm just saying that he has little to no sources or evidence to back up his claim. (although I agree with him about the supposed Lindbergh successor because of TSSZ's report about it).
Yep thats right, I'm sure if a credible source like 01net started to reveal information on a new Sega console then I would start to believe it. Personally speaking I see no point in speculating on something that likely isn't true and is probably the figment of someone's overactive imagination, which I think is the case with these so called "rumors". On the other hand I enjoy taking a hypothetical look at what COULD be possible IF Sega were to launch a new console, your thread is a perfect example of this hypothetical discussion and also the one I created earlier in the year would represent a good example too. :D

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Dan Kuso is correct. The Power VR 6 and Power VR RTX Power VR 7 are scheduled for OEM rollout next year.

Apple already has a contract for Power VR 6 and have indicated that they'll be using NVIDIA's Denver in thier new line of MACBOOKs.

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Do You See?
Considering the fact that Power VR 6 and Power VR RTX have been in development for 5 long years, the fact that as of 2010, SEGA still has Imagination Tech as a partner for graphics and visuals and the fact that last summer, the well known bulgarian tech site Kaldata reported that Imagination Tech was building a next generation cutting edge graphics chip for SEGA. 2012 is the definte timeframe for Power VR 6 & 7's rollout.

@stu. You do know that you just contridicted yourself. By saying most codename GPUs have a 2 year roadmap,exaggrating 3-4 years of assuming when it would be ready bascially caught your own bluff.

Power VR 6 and Power VR RTX development was completed this winter. Both chips are officially ready for prototype demostration. IM spent a total of 5 years of R&D on the next gen Power VR series. Since you just hate the idea of SEGA releasing any new hardware that can lead to them to building a new console from it, you didn't really take time to research the fact that the actual timeframe of when a GPU or mircoproccessor is completed and ready for rollout is 18 months not 2 years. The product is officially released a year and a half after its ready. Intel's Power iCore series was completed in the Summer of 2008, and was rolled out for OEM use in the Fall of 2009. Power VR 6 and 7 should be ready for rollout in the early summer of 2012.

MistaBuck. We both KNOW there's a new arcade board. We both also know that the board PROBABLY uses PC silicon that not availible to the OEM market. SEGA's silence at JAMMA and TGS says so.

MistaBuck
letterbomb

Post by MistaBuck »

MrSega wrote:

Do You See?
Considering the fact that Power VR 6 and Power VR RTX have been in development for 5 long years, the fact that as of 2010, SEGA still has Imagination Tech as a partner for graphics and visuals and the fact that last summer, the well known bulgarian tech site Kaldata reported that Imagination Tech was building a next generation cutting edge graphics chip for SEGA. 2012 is the definte timeframe for Power VR 6 & 7's rollout.
You mean this report? Yeah I remember that.

I'll admit it, you have one source. But the source is fairly old and vague. I'm not saying you're wrong, but considering how old the source is, I doubt it to be true... I might be wrong though.

I don't know anything about graphics chips, or Imagination Tech's release timeline, so I can't really comment on that, but considering that stu's post contains actual evidence, I'll rely on that ;)

If your source in right (which I highly doubt), and Sega really IS partnering with ImagTec on a Console graphics chip, I would think that It probably be a custom-made chip exclusively for the system that is based on their current chips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Big three order custom graphics chips from their companies? So I think that, If it IS true, they would probably base it off of the Power VR 6, and 7 will come out in a few years, like stu said. :D
Natural Harmonia Gropius

Dan Kuso
Banned

Post by Dan Kuso »

Because it's a banned site, I'm not going to link to it and I have also censored it's name.
CORRECTION : S***L***s has received word from the author of the above Chinese forum post stating that he was only relaying information from the 4gamer article and that his declaration of “seventh generation PowerVR” was only his opinion.

S***L***s would like to apologize to it’s readers for publishing false information.
Oh well, I guess we were both wrong stu.

Seems like the Chinese forum poster was no more an insider than me or you.

Admins, you may close this thread, as it serves no purpose now.
Last edited by Dan Kuso on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistaBuck
letterbomb

Post by MistaBuck »

@Dan Kuso

well then, I suppose that The "Power VR 6" will be compatible with this "ray tracing" tech.

And Like I said, If MrSega's source IS true (which it probably isn't), Sega Would probably ask ImagTec for a custom graphics card based on their current chips for their hypothetical Console (or even arcade board). If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo is doing Just that with the Wii U, which has an custom ATI graphics card.
Natural Harmonia Gropius