How can Sega get back in the hardware market?

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DeBraveMan
shadow

How can Sega get back in the hardware market?

Post#1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 am

Yes I have asked this question, and yes I am going to put down my thoughts on this subject.

So how can Sega get back in the hardware market?

Well I say that if they have a hardware console idea already conceptualize or already in the making, then again maybe never...here's what I think they should do. For one, since they still make arcade games, why don't they make it where their possible new home console gaming device can be capatible with their arcade counterpart as they can have an online account on the system which can be transfered to any arcade system as if it was a gaming PC. They should continue to work on making the home gaming console playable with the arcade version as they can be a complementary to each other as if they were seperate gaming PC's, but can work onto the same server as an online game, but yet limited to the possibility. It should have High-Definition graphics like the PS3 or close, and be as polish as possible.

As for the games, they will need their best known selling games such as Shenmue & Sonic and plenty of new IP's with high end graphical appeal that will satisfy. They will also need to get 3rd party developers, mainly new starting game studios or independent studios as they will need to take a risk. They also need games like Power Stone and Phantasy Star Online to bring in that multiplayer and arcade feel to the gaming universe, if they still plan on making arcade games.

I'm not exactly a fan, but I think another gaming console in the wars wouldn't hurt. I say Sega should just do it, I'm sure it will turn out well for them if they decided to do so.

Hiryosuke
Dead House

Re: How can Sega get back in the hardware market?

Post#2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 am

third party support wouldnt be so hard to garner for them now I dont think...since they've been third party theirself these past few years sega has made some good deals and built some good relationships...they even signed a deal to publish for ea in japan...I'm not too sure who if anyone they're on bad terms with right now...

DeBraveMan
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 am

True that. Also many say that Sega has screwed up the market with bad games and such and giving many reasons why they shouldn't make a console. Well I say that it does give Sega a reason to make a console. Not everyone is going to like or being interested in the type of games Sega make, as for being interested into certain gaming genres or play style. Gaming software is one way for people to recognize your works on games that you have develop and people like creativity, some more than thers. Their's also others who like the casual games that are not overly exaggerated, but entertaining fun for the audience of the choice. Gaming hardware takes another direction in where the developer can do whatever they want with the game console as they can set the rules and boundary's and/or apply and add any content or accessory to it so it can stand out. Being the shareholder of their products, it's only right to be able to allow or cut off what can be done as they can have many or a few of 1st and 3rd party developers to make whatever is neccessary to win over the buyers and players of the product.

Although I do say that for Sega to get started if ever developing a console is that they would need to adopt and bring some 1st party developers on board, maybe about 5-10 different studios should do it and the rest could be 3rd party developers. I know that their are many indie game studios who are in need (maybe desperate?) for work and they would love to work on a console if say had the chance to do so, but many are stuck with PC projects at the moment. I think Sega's best bet if ever making gaming hardware is to have a petition/competition in indie game community's and rule out the best workable ideas among the 5-20 they chose out of many who responded to their petition via email or something of the like as they rule out what idea can work for their console. Giving the indie developers insight on the gaming engine and the software and how they can make games for their console as the first 5-20 get the hardware and toolset for free, and then the rest after those who recieved it first will have to pay for the hardware and toolset. This could be something of interest if they ever did that, but who is to say fo sure on that part.

PS: It'd be funny if Sega was to read this post, or make this post up somewhere down the line.

MrSega

Post#4 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 am

Hello DaBraveMan. Welcome to DC Talk.

Things and signs have been adding up in the past 2 years especially with SEGA having issued several dozen controller and game hardware patents for use.

Europeon electronics tech maker Imagination Tech reported last year that it had signed on with SEGA to design a cutting edge 3D "graphics chip" for qoute a next gen SEGA hardware machine designed to compete against Xbox 3 and PS4(I have the url to the article which is on a Bulgarian tech site called Kaldata that I'll post later)

SEGA also filed a new hardware trademark under its SEGA TOYS division called "KIDSPAD" early this year. The device is set to be publicly unveiled this summer and has a design simluar to I-pad except that it uses 3 touch buttons. SEGA will pass this off as a kid friendly iPad even though the device is a competitor against the 3DS and PS Vita. Its actually more powerful than both these handhelds.

SEGA's new arcade board SEGADRIVE is said to have a console variant codenamed "Super System/NEPTUNE". The board will be non PC based and will contain real time ray tracing techology.

Super System is projected to launch early next fall. I'll add more details on it later.

SEGA is leaving the boxed IP multiplatform publishing business next year. They in fact have not signed on to publish for Wii U.(The Aliens game is not owned by them and may not be published by SEGA)SEGA instead will publish only digital,PC games,social networking games and DLC for its competitors' platforms.

EA has given SEGA full publishing and licensing rights to all its games for the Japanese market. Whats weird is that Gamespot is reporting that EA is having second thoughts about supporting Wii U.

DeBraveMan
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

Glad to be here!

Also when you said the Sega's "KIDSPAD", I'm sure you are refering to this:
http://blog.lowrez.de/wp-content/upload ... 2/bb03.jpg

I also do believe that Sega is making a comeback to the home console market. With them making plenty of downloadable games, I would say that many of them will be towards their own gaming online market of their suppose new generation console. Most likely that most of those downloadables will be of their classic gaming franchises from all of their previous consoles. Also with them working on both disc base and online games, they will have both their new technology in use and also with the backwards capability with their classic titles that are on disc.
Also as you say that their going stop game development on other consoles is of course the same choice to make when going from a software perspective to a hardware perspective. Making games for only for their console to ensure that they will have constumers wanting to buy into their system. I do believe that they have something under their sleaves as a good comeback is one that isn't so expected at the given time, yet already knew was coming. I'm sure Sega is getting tired of losing money, so the best bet is to give people what they want and earn what they have been wanting all along.

craziestrufis
Graffiti Grind

Post#6 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:15 pm

DeBraveMan wrote:Glad to be here!

I also do believe that Sega is making a comeback to the home console market. With them making plenty of downloadable games, I would say that many of them will be towards their own gaming online market of their suppose new generation console. Most likely that most of those downloadables will be of their classic gaming franchises from all of their previous consoles. Also with them working on both disc base and online games, they will have both their new technology in use and also with the backwards capability with their classic titles that are on disc.
Also as you say that their going stop game development on other consoles is of course the same choice to make when going from a software perspective to a hardware perspective. Making games for only for their console to ensure that they will have constumers wanting to buy into their system. I do believe that they have something under their sleaves as a good comeback is one that isn't so expected at the given time, yet already knew was coming. I'm sure Sega is getting tired of losing money, so the best bet is to give people what they want and earn what they have been wanting all along.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7948449.pdf
http://www.trademarkia.com/kids-pad-85264286.html

MrSega

Post#7 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Here's the article about EA having second thoughts about supporting Wii U:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... eo/6323516

MrSega

Post#8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Also here's the Kaladata IM article from last year:

http://www.kaldata.com/comments.php?catid=4&id=55129

Since its written Bulgarian here's what it translates to:

"Although not a secret that SEGA has long work on their LINDBERGH / RINGEDGE project today revealed that they have officially signed an agreement with Imagination Technologies of the United Kingdom, which will begin work on "high tech graphics console next generation " . Still no technical information on the project because it is very early stage. SEGA shared, however, that their plans are the new console is a direct competitor of the next generation of Sony and Microsoft . The company believe that with more development over the early start will be able to beat the two giants will take a larger share of the market. Since Sony did say they do not intend to repeat the mistake they made ​​with the PS3 and their next console will not work with PowerVR, but with a cheaper version of nVidia or AMD. The purpose of this company is about to come up with a system that cost under $ 300 in his first days on the market."

stu
Feet of Fury

Post#9 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 pm

MrSega wrote:Here's the article about EA having second thoughts about supporting Wii U:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... eo/6323516

That is complete nonsense, did you actually watch the video that you linked to?

That link takes you to a video on Gamespot covering TWO reports, one that EA has bought Popcap Games, which is of no great surprise. The other report is regarding Ken Levine of Irrational Games indicating that his company has no plans to support the Wii U.

Levine and his team at Irrational Games developed BioShock and are currently working on it's sequel BioShock Infinite, both games were published by 2KGames, NOT EA. You really need to get your facts right and stop spinning stuff to fit your own warped views and ideas.

MrSega

Post#10 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:31 pm

DeBraveMan wrote:Glad to be here!

Actually, that's a picture of the 2009 RINGEDGE arcade game "Border Break".

KIDSPAD will be a game tablet, I've also heard the device will be capable of running arcade perfect tites for LINDBERGH,RINGWIDE and RINGEDGE. So this title may wind up on KIDSPAD.