Dreamcast help

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mak770
shadow

Dreamcast help

Post#1 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi there people!
I dig out my old DC, only got the one game though jet set radio. I tried to burn some games but none would work, so tried to make a utopia boot disc and that didn't work either, is it possible mydc doesn't play CD-R s and if so is dreamshell an option for me?
My schedule is pal and it has a number one in the circle in the bottom
Please help me :P

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Dreamcast help

Post#2 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:58 pm

It is possible the burns just where not successful. I have burned coasters myself. Does it load the game?

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#3 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:06 pm

What month/year does the bottom of the console say?
October 2000 or earlier, it should be reading them. If it still isn't, maybe something's up with the laser; test your Jet Set Radio to make sure.
November 2000 or later, you're out of luck from what I understand.
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).

mak770
shadow

Post#4 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:20 pm

:) ButYeah the jet set radio game works great so can't be that, I don't see a date in bottom of the console ? I've tried a few different attempts at a boot disc. Where can in get detailed instructions on how to burn these discs anyone know? Thanks for the replies

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#5 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Finding the date can take a little squinting, but this should help make it a bit easier.

Something like that's what you should look for on yours.

As for how to burn the disks, there's several methods, but I've had a lot of success with Imgburn with the Dreamcast plugins, which can be snagged here; click on the download link next to "Imgburn with CDI files for any Windows or Linux with wine" near the top of the spreadsheet. After that, it's just a matter of installing the program, putting the plugins in the Imgburn folder, then running the program like normal and choosing a .cdi file.
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#6 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:30 pm

i believe all dreamcast's can play mil-cd games if you burn them correctly

mak770
shadow

Post#7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks guys, I dont have the same sticker on mine, its a PAL version and it doesn't say the manufacture date.
I'm trying to rip a download from this site now a self boot to see if that works.
Really wish this could've been more simple for me!
Does anyone know if dreamshell is an optopn for me ? or would it not read the boot disc?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#8 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 am

I would think if it is not reading other burned discs it wouldn't read dreamshell.

What are you using to burn your discs?

mak770
shadow

Post#9 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 am

Tried the self boot download still no luck..
Could it be my settings maybe? Could someone point me in direction of a guide to burn the games, I've had enough of making coasters lol
Tried disc juggler and IMG burn
Just picked up Sega rally and dead or alive 2 to keep me going for now :)

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:19 pm

I have my best luck with alcohol 120% to burn my discs. With a slow speed like 8x or so. I use 7zip to unzip/extract the file.

Are you files I'm going or cdi? I find that makes a difference as to what program I use to burn the discussion as well.

Do you know anyone with a dreamcast you could test the discs on there machine?