DreamPi, as Ethernet-to-Wifi adapter (for BBA)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Thmanx
Anarki

DreamPi, as Ethernet-to-Wifi adapter (for BBA)

Post#1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 pm

So I built myself a little DreamPi setup last week just in time for some Friday Q3 Frag Night. Over all the experience went quite well and the fresh servers TacT had up ran well for dial up, but it still left me wanting a bit more.

I bit a big bullet and ordered a BBA for next week.

DreamPi for dialup + WiFi worked great with no wires to the router. I love how automatic it is once you've finished the setup. But if I use a BBA currently I'll have to run a 30ft cable down the hall... I was wondering if there is anyway to make my DreamPi work as a Ethernet to Wifi bridge as well. Not just through the dialup modem. That way my DreamPi could work either through the modem or BBA through wifi.

Im pretty sure this is something it could be coded to do, just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Farmhouse
lithium

Re: DreamPi, as Ethernet-to-Wifi adapter (for BBA)

Post#2 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:12 pm

What about a powerline network instead?

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Maybe I'm necrobumping this, but you should try one of those cheap video game WiFi adapters that were made for this exact type of thing instead? You can get them on amazon for relatively cheap.

Here is a link to one I have used with success for this before https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireles ... B0024G48VA
Alternatively, you could purchase a mini travel router and set it up in bridge mode. Hope this helps!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#4 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:07 pm

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to reply anyway: the easiest way to do this would be to set up the Pi to act as a transparent bridge. Check out this page for more information: https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkCo ... idge_setup

Basically, you'll create a bridge interface, then put both eth0 and wlan0 into the bridge. Once you do this, eth0 and wlan0 won't really be used as interfaces any more, but instead you'll use br0 for any IP communications.