Dreamcast Replacment Laser Question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Dreamcast Replacment Laser Question

Post#1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:29 am

Anyone here aware if the spu3200 laser can run retail games? I've been reading mixed opinions on it and wonder if anyone here has actually tried successfully with GD-Roms. Helping a friend restore his DC.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast Replacment Laser Question

Post#2 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

From what I have found any pc cd rom laser if it will fit properly on the rails and accepts the ribbon cable (1 pin will be unused) will work fine on dreamcast. After a swap of the laser lens the pot will need to be adjusted and it will read retail gd-rom's and isos. I have had the best luck with pc cd rom laser lenses from 2000-2003 era. You should be able to find these pc cd rom drives for around 1-4 dollars at your local thrift store, swap meet, flea market, etc. If you already bought the spu3200 laser, all you can do is test it after fitting it properly and adjusting the pot. Keep in mind if it is a new laser lens sometimes you have to bridge a solder point on the lens (don't know if that is just for blu ray and dvd lenses).

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:21 pm

SMiTH wrote:From what I have found any pc cd rom laser if it will fit properly on the rails and accepts the ribbon cable (1 pin will be unused) will work fine on dreamcast. After a swap of the laser lens the pot will need to be adjusted and it will read retail gd-rom's and isos. I have had the best luck with pc cd rom laser lenses from 2000-2003 era. You should be able to find these pc cd rom drives for around 1-4 dollars at your local thrift store, swap meet, flea market, etc. If you already bought the spu3200 laser, all you can do is test it after fitting it properly and adjusting the pot. Keep in mind if it is a new laser lens sometimes you have to bridge a solder point on the lens (don't know if that is just for blu ray and dvd lenses).

Thanks for the tips! Do you happen to know of any that fit 1:1 in the Dreamcast? If possible id like to avoid hacking the assembly up

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:24 pm

pc cd rom drives from 2000-2003 laser lenses work.
the last ones i swapped were NEC and Creative cd rom drives. (1:1)
I do not have specific models.
I have not ever had to hack the assembly up.

Goto your local thrift store, flea market, swap meet, computer recycle shop, computer shop, etc.
Buy a stack of old pc cd rom drives with manufacturer date 2000 to 2003.
You should only need to spend maybe 10 bucks for a stack of them.
Give it a try.

I still need to get around to fixing a jvc x'eye laser lens and I am going to try this same method.
More than likely alot of cd based gaming systems can be fixed doing this.
Some might require modifying the assembly or modding the ribbon cable/s..but for the dc I have yet had to do this.

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:31 am

SMiTH wrote:pc cd rom drives from 2000-2003 laser lenses work.
the last ones i swapped were NEC and Creative cd rom drives. (1:1)
I do not have specific models.
I have not ever had to hack the assembly up.

Goto your local thrift store, flea market, swap meet, computer recycle shop, computer shop, etc.
Buy a stack of old pc cd rom drives with manufacturer date 2000 to 2003.
You should only need to spend maybe 10 bucks for a stack of them.
Give it a try.

I still need to get around to fixing a jvc x'eye laser lens and I am going to try this same method.
More than likely alot of cd based gaming systems can be fixed doing this.
Some might require modifying the assembly or modding the ribbon cable/s..but for the dc I have yet had to do this.

Awesome :) Thanks for the advice!

TacT
Uber

Post#6 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:07 am

I think yes there's a blob of solder that is connecting to spots to protect against static during storage and shipping or something. I think it will have to be removed before installing it, haven't tried one yet myself tho

Also some cd lenses have 1 more pin than the dc i think is 16 and some have 17 just insert the ribbon cable on one side into the first 16 pins it will work I have done this with a pc cd drive laser that was the same as the dreamcast it worked.

it's still thinking.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 am

This seems very interesting. Iv got a couple of old cd rom lasers laying around. Anyone have a more detailed process or list of parts ect? When one of my drives die i will try this and would be interesting to see how long the new laser last's