DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nascar241993
lithium

DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Post#1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 am

Hello all,

I've had my DreamPi setup for almost a month now. On our last router (some generic AT&T Netgear router), the DreamPi setup worked perfectly fine without any issues. We just recently got a new router after a thunderstorm knocked our internet offline, and now, my DreamPi is refusing to pick up calls from the Dreamcast.

From what I've noticed on the screen, DreamPi has attempted to ARP the Dreamcast at 192.168.1.98 and 192.168.1.99, with no responses from both IP's. Another thing I noticed was about the DHCPCD failing, but I'm not sure if that's important or not. The failed ARPing attempts is the last thing DreamPi shows after start-up. Once I try to dial the Dreamcast, there's no change to what the DreamPi shows, like no AT stuff or anything, like it's not picking up the call.

At the moment, I have reflashed DreamPi thinking that it might have been DreamPi, but even after reflashing, it's still having the same problems. I hope someone can help me out here.

As a last note, my setup is as follows:
Sega Dreamcast NTSC-U VA1 w/ Model A 56K Modem
Viking DLE-200B (Dreamcast connected to Line 2, DreamPi connected to Line 1)
Dell NW147 56K USB Modem
Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ running DreamPi 1.4

EDIT: Forgot to mention, DHCP is enabled on the router for DreamPi.

EDIT 2: I probably should mentioned this earlier, but just an observation:

1. Whenever powering on the setup, both lights on the modem turn on after a while, and the Viking's busy light comes on and the unit starts making clicking sounds (from what I can tell, this is normal).

2. Whenever the Dreamcast tries to dial, the Viking stops clicking. At this point, I can tell that the Viking is working and that it's getting a response from both lines.

3. DreamPi doesn't attempt to answer the call. Like mentioned in the initial post, the failed ARPing attempts are the last thing shown on screen, no AT commands or anything indicating that the Pi is answering the call, and no mention of hearing a number.
Attachments
IMG_0019.JPG
Failed DHCP and DHCPCD.
SkypePhoto_20160901_23_13_26.jpg
Failed ARPing attempts.
Last edited by nascar241993 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TacT
Uber

Re: DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Post#2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:05 am

The dreampi probably won't even go into answer mode unless it gets a proper DHCP and IP from your router first. Its probably your router.
Do both lights on the USB modem come on? They should Both be on when the dreampi is ready for tones.
Also sometimes a Line Simulator can cause hiccups when dialing that way. Dreampi really only requires a line voltage inducer, not a full simulator.

it's still thinking.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:17 am

Yes, both lights turn on whenever the DreamPi is ready for the call, but it still doesn't answer the call. You might be right about the DHCP and IP part, but the weird thing is, it did get a IP from the router, which is 192.168.1.78 (used to be 192.168.1.253 from the last router).

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:15 pm

nascar241993 wrote:Yes, both lights turn on whenever the DreamPi is ready for the call, but it still doesn't answer the call. You might be right about the DHCP and IP part, but the weird thing is, it did get a IP from the router, which is 192.168.1.78 (used to be 192.168.1.253 from the last router).

What brand router as you using? Have you tried factory resetting the router and testing only the pi connected to it?

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Also silly question but your viking phone line sim is plugged in right? Was it plugged in during the storm? It could of got tosted as well

nascar241993
lithium

Post#6 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 pm

AT&T U-Verse 5268AC Router. As for factory resetting, I haven't tried that yet.

Also, my Viking is plugged in the same way I had it early last month (when the setup was working perfectly fine). And yes, while it was plugged in during the thunderstorm, there was no power running to it, plus, the strip is surge protected. The power strip in question is a Tripp Lite TLP76MSG with 7 power outlets, 6 of which are controlled by independent switches.

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:24 pm

nascar241993 wrote:AT&T U-Verse 5268AC Router. As for factory resetting, I haven't tried that yet.

Also, my Viking is plugged in the same way I had it early last month (when the setup was working perfectly fine). And yes, while it was plugged in during the thunderstorm, there was no power running to it, plus, the strip is surge protected. The power strip in question is a Tripp Lite TLP76MSG with 7 power outlets, 6 of which are controlled by independent switches.

Damn thats why I hate AT&T, I hate their routers. Can they just give you a DSL modem and let you get your own router like an ASUS or Netgear? :)

nascar241993
lithium

Post#8 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:37 pm

It's not that bad. Unlike our last router, this one supports DMZ. Although I suppose that's not 100% great if my DreamPi isn't connecting. I still can't wrap my head around what's happening. I think I should've also mentioned that this is the first time I've plugged a display into the Pi (more specifically, the HDMI 1 port on my TV), so I wasn't sure what to expect to see on the command line during normal operation, aside from the AT command stuff and DreamPi IP address.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Typically if the Dreampi isnt answering its due to a Voltage line inducer problem but because you are using a phone line sim it shouldn't be an issue. Thats only reason I thought maybe your phone line sim got damaged.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:08 pm

The DreamPi itself appears to be working fine. That screen output is exactly what you should see. What game are you trying to connect with and what is the exact message you get?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live