DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi - Fails to answer Dreamcast call after new router installed.

Post#41 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 am

nascar241993 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
nascar241993 wrote:That I'm not sure of. I'll try restarting the router first, cause I discovered that it's been running since the day we got it.

EDIT: Looks like an AT&T DSL modem is required to use third-party routers.

EDIT 2: Restarting the router didn't work. Too bad my router doesn't have a WAN port, so I can't bypass the router.

Do you mind posting your router model on here :) I can do some research on it

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9704#p92834

Posted it in a reply back on page 1.

Do you have an option called "Useable IP range"? Make sure thats not limited to xx.xx.xx.33-37. I'd set it to xx.xx.xx.1-255. That was the first thing in the documentation that popped out at me.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#42 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:02 am

It's already set to xx.xx.xx.1-255.

EDIT: It's actually called DHCP Configuration, and it's set to 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (with 0 being anything between 1 and 255, I guess). I know that it's working, cause I was able to manually set my DreamPi back to its original IP (192.168.1.253).

EDIT 2: Added a couple of pictures from recent connection attempts. I'm baffled that the LVI and Viking produce different logs.
Attachments
image.jpeg
LVI Log
image.jpeg
Viking Log

SoulOfIce
rebel

Post#43 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Xiden wrote:
SoulOfIce wrote:Yeah I had a strong feeling that it wasn't the issue, as I had been using PCwzrd's LVI as well and it was working just fine before the issue. The weird thing is, that it was working for me fine before, then it just stopped, and I HAVEN'T changed my router. It just straight up stopped working (By stop working I mean the Dreamcast has stopped answering the call) I also have AT&T internet as well, so maybe it has something to do with AT&T? I dunno :/

Is your modem AT command set to AT&F0 (Thats a zero at the end)

Yeah I had that AT command before it stopped working.

Xiden
Developer

Post#44 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:11 am

nascar241993 wrote:It's already set to xx.xx.xx.1-255.

EDIT: It's actually called DHCP Configuration, and it's set to 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (with 0 being anything between 1 and 255, I guess). I know that it's working, cause I was able to manually set my DreamPi back to its original IP (192.168.1.253).

EDIT 2: Added a couple of pictures from recent connection attempts. I'm baffled that the LVI and Viking produce different logs.

Send those images to Kazade in a message on here. He should be able to diagnose the exact issue

nascar241993
lithium

Post#45 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Message sent. It baffles me that the DreamPi says CONNECT at the end with the LVI, but the call still doesn't answer.

Xiden
Developer

Post#46 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Its supposed to say Connect. When I having issues I thought it was strange too lol. So it least it appears for now your pi, modem, and software are fine.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried unplugging and replugging your dreamcast's modem? Maybe some how it got unseated? Thats the only other idea I have right now while you wait to hear from kazade.

nascar241993
lithium

Post#47 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Can't be that it's not seated properly, since I've been swapping it out for the BBA to play PSOv2. I'm not sure why it's not answering the call despite the CONNECT message.

kazade
Developer

Post#48 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:59 am

Hi, sorry I've been a bit crap at replying - I've been without internet for 3 weeks and I have a lot going on at the moment.

Looking at the images, the LVI just isn't working at all. That's just showing you the output as the DreamPi sends the dial tone, but it's not showing anything for any kind of incoming call from the Dreamcast.

The Viking is "working" in that it detects the Dreamcast dialling and then tells the modem to answer but then it's timing out waiting for the modem to respond with "CONNECT"...

Just to confirm, this is DreamPi 1.4 right? I know there was a problem in earlier versions that would show this problem. What I think is happening is actually the modem is responding with something that I'm not expecting, but I can't debug it unless you can edit the code. If you *can* edit the code then find this line (in /home/pi/dreampi/dreampi.py)...

for resp in VALID_RESPONSES:

and on the line directly above it, add the following:

logger.info(line)

Make sure the indentation matches (e.g. the line you add, lines up with spaces with the line below)

That should log all the responses from the modem and then we should see what happened.

Unfortunately without internet at home I can't work on Dreampi 1.5, and so can't add the logging into the next version myself :(

Xiden
Developer

Post#49 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:12 pm

SoulOfIce wrote:
Xiden wrote:
SoulOfIce wrote:Yeah I had a strong feeling that it wasn't the issue, as I had been using PCwzrd's LVI as well and it was working just fine before the issue. The weird thing is, that it was working for me fine before, then it just stopped, and I HAVEN'T changed my router. It just straight up stopped working (By stop working I mean the Dreamcast has stopped answering the call) I also have AT&T internet as well, so maybe it has something to do with AT&T? I dunno :/

Are you also using ATT's router? Or using a standalone 3rd party router? Sounds like their equipment is no bueno. If you are using their router, is it possible to switch to your own router?

If you can, post your RasPi output to here so we can compare it and see if both you guys are getting the same issues.

SoulOfIce
rebel

Post#50 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Xiden wrote:
SoulOfIce wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Are you also using ATT's router? Or using a standalone 3rd party router? Sounds like their equipment is no bueno. If you are using their router, is it possible to switch to your own router?

If you can, post your RasPi output to here so we can compare it and see if both you guys are getting the same issues.

Yep I am also using an ATT router, which makes me have an assumption that it could be a fireware update that they released that's causing DreamPi to not work with their in house routers.

And sure, I have a similar log to Nascar, cept' the ending is alot more different.
Attachments
IMG_4267.JPG
LVI Log