Dreamcast/Hauppauge issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Dreamcast/Hauppauge issue

Post#1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:24 pm

Gday!

I've recently picked up a Hauppauge HD PVR2 Gaming Edition and have been happily recording Xbox360 and WiiU gameplay through HDMI with no issues.

My main reason for getting the Haup was for recording Dreamcast, so after buying a VGA>HDMI converter i was ready to go. The connection system is Dreamcast > vga cable (inc 3.5mm audio) > converter > HDMI cable > Hauppauge (connected to PC) > HDMI cable > TV.

I can get the video to work perfectly, records fine, but no audio at all.... No audio being picked up by the Hauppauge, and no audio on the TV. Audio cable is plugged in fine.

Any suggestions?
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: Dreamcast/Hauppauge issue

Post#2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Only suggestion i'd have is maybe plug the audio right into the Hauppauge than running it through the converter

But i've never messed with capture cards/interfaces so that's only an educated guess
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 pm

The only thing I know about Hauppauge is that it doesn't like Sega or European computers plugged into it's slots.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#4 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Ive run a few tests to eliminate some possibilities... this is what happened...

I ran the HDMI cord straight to the TV instead of through the Hauppauge, and it worked fine, so that eliminates the VGA>HDMI converter as being the problem. Ran it through the Hauppauge, still no audio.

I connected another console through the Hauppauge to eliminate the possibility of the Hauppauge having a problem with audio itself, sound worked perfectly.

I noted that the input from the Dreamcast was showing 480p, so i set my Xbox 360 to output to 480p to eliminate a problem with the 480p input/output settings on the Hauppauge... sound worked perfectly on the 360.

Im stumped.

Ideas?

dan1234 wrote:Only suggestion i'd have is maybe plug the audio right into the Hauppauge than running it through the converter

But i've never messed with capture cards/interfaces so that's only an educated guess

Hauppauge unit only has input for the VGA cables, and one for a special AV cable that allows connection of older consoles.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd