Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Re: Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Post#31 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 pm

krssn wrote:Do me a favor, add the same picture without the markings to your post please. It's a bit unclear to say anything really. I'll try to check back tomorrow, and maybe I'll just open one myself to check for sure in the hope it's the same board...

PS I think you're looking at the wrong shade of green on the board. The traces have the lighter green shade. It gets more clear which are the traces when you hold the board against a light. The traces will be dark, while the rest of the board will let light through. I think you're looking at the space below the trace, but like I said, upload the picture without markings, so I can have a better look...

Ok, got it

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#32 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 am

Ok, here it is. Am I going to have to replace the battery and capacitors? I read that when you see all that juicy stuff on the board it means that they blew out or something.

blktgr74
dark night

Post#33 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:54 am

Could the juicy stuff just be flux?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

krssn
Metallic

Post#34 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

I marked in red where you have to cut...

Leaking caps leak on the cap side, not the other side of the board. So it's probably just flux like blksomething said...

20141022_131714.jpg

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#35 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm

krssn wrote:I marked in red where you have to cut...

Leaking caps leak on the cap side, not the other side of the board. So it's probably just flux like blksomething said...

20141022_131714.jpg

Ok, I'll cut that part. Since I've cut the power on the board I'm going to need a wire to connect the 3.3v header right?

krssn
Metallic

Post#36 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:23 pm

mxlvxnn wrote:Ok, I'll cut that part. Since I've cut the power on the board I'm going to need a wire to connect the 3.3v header right?

Yup...

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#37 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm

krssn wrote:
mxlvxnn wrote:Ok, I'll cut that part. Since I've cut the power on the board I'm going to need a wire to connect the 3.3v header right?

Yup...

Ok, so after I cut the lead I'm going to go online and look for some materials. I'm going to be needing:

-Tricolor LED Diode (I've been seeing 4 pins on ebay ... is that going to be ok? from what I saw in the video there was only 2)
-Negative and Positive Wires (are there any specific wires I should be looking for?)
-Soldering Iron
-Desoldering Pump/wick
-Soldering wick

krssn
Metallic

Post#38 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:36 pm

mxlvxnn wrote:-Tricolor LED Diode (I've been seeing 4 pins on ebay ... is that going to be ok? from what I saw in the video there was only 2)

Go for two...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Negative and Positive Wires (are there any specific wires I should be looking for?)

You're kidding, right?...

Please tell me you're kidding...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Desoldering Pump/wick

Not really necessary for such an easy mod. Just heat up the contacts and pull out the LED while the blobs are hot. So heat up the contacts and pull out the LED at the same time...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Soldering wick

No such thing as soldering wick...

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#39 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:12 pm

krssn wrote:
mxlvxnn wrote:-Tricolor LED Diode (I've been seeing 4 pins on ebay ... is that going to be ok? from what I saw in the video there was only 2)

Go for two...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Negative and Positive Wires (are there any specific wires I should be looking for?)

You're kidding, right?...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Desoldering Pump/wick

Not really necessary for such an easy mod. Just heat up the contacts and pull out the LED while the blobs are hot. So heat and pull virtually at the same time...

mxlvxnn wrote:-Soldering wick

No such thing as soldering wick...

krssn wrote:You're kidding, right?...

Considering that I posted this in the first place .. No I'm not kidding. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I don't normally do things like this which is why I came to the forum for help. Come on, I thought you'd get it by now that I have no technological experience what so ever; so can you stop criticizing me?

..and to elaborate a bit more I'm asking what specific type/brand of wires should I get? What would be recommended for a situation such as this?

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#40 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Ok, the LED doesn't light up anymore when I turn on the dreamcast so I've successfully cut the trace on the controller board. I tried to heat up the contacts under the LED with my soldering iron and it wouldn't melt so I might have to get a better one. I'm going to be ordering the bulbs krssn recommended and some wire too. Once I get started I'll take some pictures and keep you guys posted