Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast LED MOD Questions

Post#11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 am

krssn wrote:Just watched the vid. Looks like you just have to cut the original voltage input trace for the LED on the controller port board, and use the 3.3V pin on the powerboard instead. Don't see the point in cutting the second trace though. You could just use the original ground point the original LED used if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Correct old friend ;)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

krssn
Metallic

Post#12 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 am

CD AGES wrote:Correct old friend ;)

Hey, I know I turned 37 just a few days ago.

Doesn't mean you have to rub it in... :lol: ;)

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:43 am

krssn wrote:
CD AGES wrote:Correct old friend ;)

Hey, I know I turned 37 just a few days ago.

Doesn't mean you have to rub it in... :lol: ;)

Seems ima bit late but Happy B-day!
UGHH! Speak of which, in about 3 weeks I turn the big 30!
:roll:
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

krssn
Metallic

Post#14 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 am

CD AGES wrote:Seems ima bit late but Happy B-day!

Thanks... ^^

CD AGES wrote:UGHH! Speak of which, in about 3 weeks I turn the big 30!
:roll:

Twenty years from now this forum will be filled with old farts... :lol:

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#15 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:48 pm

krssn wrote:Just watched the vid. Looks like you just have to cut the original voltage input trace for the LED on the controller port board, and use the 3.3V pin on the powerboard instead. Don't see the point in cutting the second trace though. You could just use the original ground point the original LED used if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I pretty much understand that the positive lead has to connect to the 3.3V header on the power board. What I don't get is the grounding part for the negative lead. You said that I can use the same ground the previous LED uses but I'm not exactly sure where it was grounded in the first place. I've never modded anything in my life and this is basically going to be my first project.

krssn
Metallic

Post#16 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 am

To say it in more technical terms, you need to apply positive voltage to the anode (long leg) and ground the cathode (short leg). So the original LED on the board already has a ground point. That's how LEDs work. Positive voltage goes in on one side, and out to the ground...

Remove the original LED. Cut the trace on the controller board that connected to the anode leg of the original LED. Connect the anode of the new LED you want to use to the 3.3V point on the powerboard. Connect the cathode of the new LED you want to use to the same point the cathode of the original LED was connected to. Hence why I said you shouldn't cut both traces that lead to the original LED. One of the traces (the ground) can be reused. Only the voltage point has to be replaced with a 3.3V point...

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#17 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:08 pm

krssn wrote:To say it in more technical terms, you need to apply positive voltage to the anode (long leg) and ground the cathode (short leg). So the original LED on the board already has a ground point. That's how LEDs work. Positive voltage goes in on one side, and out to the ground...

Remove the original LED. Cut the trace on the controller board that connected to the anode leg of the original LED. Connect the anode of the new LED you want to use to the 3.3V point on the powerboard. Connect the cathode of the new LED you want to use to the same point the cathode of the original LED was connected to. Hence why I said you shouldn't cut both traces that lead to the original LED. One of the traces (the ground) can be reused. Only the voltage point has to be replaced with a 3.3V point...

Ok, so I'm not completely sure what a "trace" is. In this case the traces are under the LED right? I assume that its the two silver points right under the LED. So If I desolder one point won't I need to de solder the other point in order to remove the original LED?

krssn
Metallic

Post#18 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm out guys. I can only take that much. He's all yours... :lol:

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#19 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm

krssn wrote:I'm out guys. I can only take that much. He's all yours... :lol:

I'll look up some more videos and try to figure it out. thanks anyways.

blktgr74
dark night

Post#20 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:47 am

mxlvxnn wrote:
krssn wrote:To say it in more technical terms, you need to apply positive voltage to the anode (long leg) and ground the cathode (short leg). So the original LED on the board already has a ground point. That's how LEDs work. Positive voltage goes in on one side, and out to the ground...

Ok, so I'm not completely sure what a "trace" is. In this case the traces are under the LED right? I assume that its the two silver points right under the LED. So If I desolder one point won't I need to de solder the other point in order to remove the original LED?

A trace is the little line that goes from one point to another on the board. You can solder to a trace to create a jumper but I would never purposely break a trace. If the new led has the same number of legs as the old one then just put it in as the difference in current drawn will be minimal

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2