Help with Dreamcast

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

drmcst
noob

Help with Dreamcast

Post#1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I have an old Dreamcast that I haven't used in a long time because its lens was dead, so I decided to take it out of the box to see if there was something else that wasn't working just to find out that there's really another faulty part.

The system will power up for a couple of seconds, sometimes it'll get to the screen where you can adjust the clock, then the screen just goes black. When the screen goes black the disc will not spin anymore if the lid is closed, or if I press the little "button" on the back of the console to force it to spin.

I've read somewhere that what I'm experiencing may happen when the fan doesn't work, which is not the case. So I'm wondering if the problem could be either the controller board, or the motherboard itself. The power supply works, I have already tested two of them.

Any clues?

By the way, if anyone needs the original pictures for GUIDE: Use a PC-CDROM lens in your Dreamcast, I have them. Maybe someone can edit the thread to include the correct pictures.

Wulffee
letterbomb

Re: Help with Dreamcast

Post#2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 am

I have had that happen when I forget to plug the fan back in after putting a DC back together. I havent had that happen otherwise, but doesnt the fan plug into the controller board itself if I remember? Maybe replacing fan and controller board may fix it. If i had a parts system I would replace one piece at a time controller board, fan, power supply if it still didnt work id probably say a MB problem. I do remember I had one system that did the black screen and it was a power supply but I never got to the main system screen like you did either.

drmcst
noob

Post#3 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Yes, the fan plugs into the controller board. The fan is connected and it spins when I turn the console on, I can't really say whether it's the problem here or not.

I don't have another system, I just have another power supply that is confirmed to work.

I probably need a new fan, a new controller board + fan, or/and a new motherboard. It's hard to find a place to buy them though, and they might not work. Does anyone know some site where I can buy these parts?

Wulffee
letterbomb

Post#4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

If you live in the US I might be able to hook you up I have a couple parts systems laying around...

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#5 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 pm

I can't really help you on your problem, but if you say that you have the original pictures for that guide, you should contact the OP or an admin (Impulse, for instance) so they can fix those pictures :wink:

drmcst
noob

Post#6 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't live in the US, thanks though! I found a place to buy the controller board and the fan, I'll get these parts to see if I can get the Dreamcast to work. Otherwise, I'm better off just importing a working console, since it's not worth it to buy the motherboard here.

I did message Impulse about the pictures.

Wulffee
letterbomb

Post#7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:58 pm

10-4 good luck let us know if you get it fixed