Quick question for those who own a Ascii Ft Pad (Solved)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

daveiguess
undertow

Quick question for those who own a Ascii Ft Pad (Solved)

Post#1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I recently bought an Ascii FT Pad on Ebay. However I am worried the D-pad is a little looser than it should be. In the video it looks like I am pushing down on the D pad (button), I am not I am only lightly moving my finger across it. It's a little hard to video and I'm afraid this is probably the most boring Youtube video ever. The noise you hear is indeed the directional button moving a little
Is the Directional button supposed to move like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pppU--kuM&feature=youtu.be

I may send the item back if the pad is indeed loose so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, David
Last edited by daveiguess on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Quick question for those who own a Ascii Ft Pad

Post#2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

thats normal.
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Just checked out your video. That is indeed normal unfortunately. As much praise as the Ascii FT pad gets, The design of the D-pad is something I'm not particularly fond of. Much like the current fight pads of today (the ones made by Madcatz) that are based on the Saturn controller much like the DC ascii pad... Both Madcatz and Ascii controller were designed with a more significantly elevated D-pad which make it more prone to becoming loose overtime with use. The superior Saturn D-pad does not suffer from this as the D-pads elevation is much lower to the actual controller base.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

daveiguess
undertow

Post#4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm

CD AGES wrote:Just checked out your video. That is indeed normal unfortunately. As much praise as the Ascii FT pad gets, The design of the D-pad is something I'm not particularly fond of. Much like the current fight pads of today (the ones made by Madcatz) that are based on the Saturn controller much like the DC ascii pad... Both Madcatz and Ascii controller were designed with a more significantly elevated D-pad which make it more prone to becoming loose overtime with use. The superior Saturn D-pad does not suffer from this as the D-pads elevation is much lower to the actual controller base.

So your saying they are not originally like this but, it happens overtime with use. I'm guessing you have found this yourself, does it make a difference to gameplay? Does it become harder to do combos for instance does it mean the pad is less responsive? Should I get a refund? I have yet to properly try any fighter games myself.

Sorry if you can't answer all these questions. And thanks to all the answers so far. :)

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43 pm

it is as it should be, they just come like that new. as CDA said, they tend to get looser over time, but thats a LONG time ;)

if you play it 8hours a day for like 2 yearn then it'll start getting looser.

you just have to get used to it, all things considered it's a very good pad, only bested by the saturn pad
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

daveiguess
undertow

Post#6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Oh, ok. Thanks for all your replies.

Also nice Dreamcast collections, I'm rather jealous of both of you! :)

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Quick question for those who own a Ascii Ft Pad (Solved)

Post#7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

thanks, mine has been stalled for the last year, coz I spent all my cash on new tattoos...well, you can't have it all ;) ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

daveiguess
undertow

Post#8 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:25 pm

mazonemayu wrote:thanks, mine has been stalled for the last year, coz I spent all my cash on new tattoos...well, you can't have it all ;) ;)

Are they at least dreamcast related tattoos?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 pm

So your saying they are not originally like this but, it happens overtime with use. I'm guessing you have found this yourself, does it make a difference to gameplay? Does it become harder to do combos for instance does it mean the pad is less responsive? Should I get a refund? I have yet to properly try any fighter games myself.
Sorry if you can't answer all these questions. And thanks to all the answers so far.

Correct, not to the extent it appears from your video, but eventually will succumb to that to be sure. Yes, but keep in mind I play fighters on a constant basis and a dpad on a stock DC controller will last me about 2-3 years tops before the dpad wears out its resistance completely to the point where becomes overly sesitive to inputs or the opposite. This is why usually prefer sticks to pads. That all depends on you, if you feel you got moneys worth (how much did you pay btw?). I persoanlly would say to hang on to it, when the pad on my ascii becomes unsuitable to my standards, I will stillmake use of the controller via its internal PCB to make a wonderful custom arcade stick. Ascii FT pads PCBs are wonderful because Dreamcast essentially recognizes these controllers as actual official arcade stick which to me is paramount in creating a custom arcade stick!
I hope I answered most of your questions.

Oh and thanks for the compliment btw. Although, my collection needs to be heavily update as I never had the chance to display my entire collection here.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

daveiguess
undertow

Post#10 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:09 pm

CD AGES wrote:
Sorry if you can't answer all these questions. And thanks to all the answers so far.

Correct, not to the extent it appears from your video, but eventually will succumb to that to be sure. Yes, but keep in mind I play fighters on a constant basis and a dpad on a stock DC controller will last me about 2-3 years tops before the dpad wears out its resistance completely to the point where becomes overly sesitive to inputs or the opposite. This is why usually prefer sticks to pads. That all depends on you, if you feel you got moneys worth (how much did you pay btw?). I persoanlly would say to hang on to it, when the pad on my ascii becomes unsuitable to my standards, I will stillmake use of the controller via its internal PCB to make a wonderful custom arcade stick. Ascii FT pads PCBs are wonderful because Dreamcast essentially recognizes these controllers as actual official arcade stick which to me is paramount in creating a custom arcade stick!
I hope I answered most of your questions.

Oh and thanks for the compliment btw. Although, my collection needs to be heavily update as I never had the chance to display my entire collection here.

$32 for you
£21 for me (I live in U.K)
This is including tracked shipping from Japan.
Also the tab where the wire locks in is broken but I knew this already.

I thought that was a reasonable price.