Dreamcast Broadband Adapter - Need Help

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

davideo7
shadow

Dreamcast Broadband Adapter - Need Help

Post#1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I recently got a Dreamcast Broadband Adapter but I can't seem to figure it out. I have an ethernet cable connecting the broadband adapter to my cisco router and than I have the Planet Web disc in the system. When I go to broadband settings, I see PPPoE, DHCP and Static IP. Which am I suppose to configure and what are my settings suppose to look like? Btw, I have Comcast internet.

I haven't gone online with my Dreamcast in around 10 years (at that time I was using dialup) so I'm real excited about getting my Dreamcast online again. Any help would be very appreciated.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Broadband Adapter - Need Help

Post#2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Here you go! I explain how to configure it using XDP browser but it should be very similar in PlanetWeb if you want to try using that.

Last edited by pcwzrd13 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

davideo7
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:59 pm

pcwzrd13: This is awesome! I spent hours trying to get connected on my own, thank god for this video. It's been 10 years since I've gone online with my Dreamcast, this is going to be awesome.

Thanks so much!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Not a problem! Glad I could help! Once you get online be sure to check out my weekly PSO game which I host every Saturday:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4120
PSO Characters:

davideo7
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm

I might be interested in joining the weekly PSO game sometime in the future, it'd probably take me a while to level up to the point that everyone else is at.

That leads me to another question. Now that I've configured the internet to work with that XDP, how do I get the internet to work with other games and the other internet browsers?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Most Dreamcast browsers don't support the BBA, and most games don't, either. PlanetWeb 3.0 is the only US browser that works with the BBA, and it should use the same settings as XDP. PSO and Quake are the only games that work with the BBA, and while some people can get online with PSO using the XDP settings, other people seem to find that it doesn't work. For those people, selecting the "Website" option on the PSOv2 title screen and configuring the BBA there makes PSO happy and work with the BBA. Note that PSOv1 may complain about the BBA not being supported initially, but once you configure the BBA with USv2, PSOv1 will let you use it.

It is also worth noting that PSO requires you to configure a dial-up ISP to play online, even if you have a BBA. If you haven't already done so, you need to remove the BBA, connect the modem, and use a browser like PlanetWeb or XDP to enter a fake username, password, and number to dial. Once you've saved that information to the flash memory, you can connect the BBA again. If you don't have connection details for your modem saved to the console, PSO will tell you that you must configure an ISP before you go online, even when you're using a BBA. The game isn't smart enough to know that the modem details are useless with the BBA. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

davideo7
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:24 pm

After doing all of that, it says 'Phantasy Star Online does not support BroadBand'.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

davideo7 wrote:After doing all of that, it says 'Phantasy Star Online does not support BroadBand'.

I assume you are using PSO v1 then? See the quote from Aleron below.

Aleron Ives wrote:Note that PSOv1 may complain about the BBA not being supported initially, but once you configure the BBA with USv2, PSOv1 will let you use it.
PSO Characters:

davideo7
shadow

Post#9 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

pcwzrd13: Yeap did that, I'm using PSO v1. When he says 'USv2' I'm assuming he meant PSOv2? If not, what did he mean?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm

davideo7 wrote:pcwzrd13: Yeap did that, I'm using PSO v1. When he says 'USv2' I'm assuming he meant PSOv2? If not, what did he mean?

Yeah, he means the US version of PSO v2. I can't really suggest anything other than what he said as I don't own v1. Hopefully someone else can help you out.
PSO Characters: