Two issues: DC resetting + Saving

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Delicious Apes
shadow

Two issues: DC resetting + Saving

Post#1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 am

Hey fellas. :)

TL;DR: My DC won't stop resetting itself when I turn it on. It's not related to the disc used.

My Dreamcast has recently become unplayable due to the fact it constantly resets endlessly, before the DC logo even has a chance to finish. It does this for every disc, official ones & brand new CD-Rs. Definitely a hardware problem and not related to the disc. Anyone have experience with this problem?..Must be the laser?

I've got another regular (0) DC that died due to power supply issues, would it be doable for me to try to switch the laser unit off that console? I am not very good with fiddly work inside consoles. It never get's past this screen anymore. Also figured I had nothing to lose and tried cleaning the lens with a soft cloth- no dice!

My other query is about saving ROMs when emulating NES, SNES, GnuBoy, et all. Either on VMU or SD card, using CDs or booting ISO files from the SD. I have not figured out how to make my save states work. I will UTFSE, though any help is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to contributing to this board more and expanding my knowledge here.. Thanks.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Two issues: DC resetting + Saving

Post#2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 am

With regards to your reset issue...Sounds like a connection issue between the motherboard and PSU. Open your Dreamcast and put some toothpicks in the white plastic...thing (bottom left between the power switch and capacitors).
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 am

Yes, it's a common problem. As CD AGES said, find the pins connecting the PSU to the mainboard, and bend them forward a little. Also, be sure to clean them off as well.

cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da

Post#4 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 pm

There is other rare cases where the cd-rom controller PIC in the GD-ROM controller board is fried and provokes the console to reset endlessly. But it's most likely the PSU connectors are fucked beyond believe and you WILL have to work them out... scratch the surface of the connectors with something pointy, straight them back to their original form, and rub with a qtip and rubbing alcohol, then let it dry by itself. Your console will be working as a new one.
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage

PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

Delicious Apes
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate you letting me know and giving that possible solution. I'll try it it out soon. I'll definitely reply +double post if I get it functioning as it should, if not; I failed.

Delicious Apes
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 am

Delicious Apes wrote:Thank you very much guys. I appreciate you letting me know and giving that possible solution. I'll try it it out soon. I'll definitely reply +double post if I get it functioning as it should, if not; I failed.

Amazing, fixed in under a couple minutes. Emulating some Pokemon Blue, any saving tips would be great as well. :mrgreen: