DC-VGA box; does anyone have problems with the RCA out??

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

DC-VGA box; does anyone have problems with the RCA out??

Post#1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:42 am

Hi guys,

yesterday I just realised what a dumass I was being with my current setup

slight back story here:

Ok so I moved my DC to the Spare room where my uber powerful pc is, I did this so I could easily capture my video, and the pc is more efficient and more powerful than my laptop so it made sense

so at the moment I've only been playing my dc (and all the other consoles I wanna capture from) via RCA which connects to a USB dongle and then I watch it on the PC via the capture software.

I realised yesterday that my pc connects to the awesome Hanns-g monitor that I have via DVI and that the VGA port is being completely neglected and so I have now set it up so I can hot swap between the RCA to pc and the VGA to monitor whenever I need to (for when games don't support 60hz or when I wanna capture)

so here is my question

Does anyone else have this VGA Box?

and if so, does the switch work for you?

theres a switch on the box that should allow you to easily switch from VGA out to RCA/S-Video out so if you want to play a game that doesn't work with VGA you just flip the switch

but mine doesn't seem to work

anyone else have this problem?

is it worth me buying a new VGA box?

thanks

I'm thinkin it might be worth getting this one instead:

Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: DC-VGA box; does anyone have problems with the RCA out??

Post#2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Does anyone else have this VGA Box?

I have over 5 different variations of the DC VGA accessory, but I do not own that Retrobit VGA box. I've made a concious decision to avoid that particular model as it build quality is rather poor. Many have experienced issues with the swtich much like you're experiencing. Other issues have been reported like the AV ports getting loose and not working, doubious image quality via VGA connection (Purple tint image or lines on the edge of the screen) or the box eventually not working at all because soderin points on the wires eventually get loose.

I'd def you recommend getting another VGA box!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

nnorton44
Doom

Post#3 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm

I have that one and the switch has never worked.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:01 am

cool so I'm not the only one with trouble, so the second one I posted, the grey one, does anyone have that one? It looks solid and much more reliable than the crappy see through one

cheers guys

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:55 pm

cool so I'm not the only one with trouble, so the second one I posted, the grey one, does anyone have that one? It looks solid and much more reliable than the crappy see through one

Unfortunately I don't have that version of the VGA box so i can't provide concrete info on it. Although from i what i gathered, this grey version VGA box is a revamped model from the manufacture that made the one you currently own (the one with the problems). They seem to share a similar retail packaging design so it may be true, and if the former had so many issues with consumers, it makes sense that they made a more sturdier version. If you do end up getting that version, please drop some info on it and let us know how it feels compared to your old one.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:35 am

ok so the new VGA Box arrived super quick yesterday and its built quality is pretty good. however it seems the cable running from the box to dc is pretty temperamental. I had problems with the picture on the last one if the VGA cable wasn't in properly but this one has picture issues if the cable is moved, so thats a slight PITA but i got it working at the right position eventually. And thankfully the switch does work and so I can now do exactly what I wanted... the RCA picture on my from this arrangement actually seems better than the picture I received from the DC built cable that ends in RCA fittings so BONUS!!

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#7 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 am

DCUltrapro wrote:I had problems with the picture on the last one if the VGA cable wasn't in properly but this one has picture issues if the cable is moved, so thats a slight PITA but i got it working at the right position eventually.

Chances are this problem will only get worse over time, eventually making the cable / box useless.

Don't count on it working for years to come...

Anyways, it can't get any worse than this cable...

I've had 3 of those in as many years. Eventually none of them functioned anymore, no matter how much I changed the cable's position. Trying to fix it was mere impossible too. The whole construction is shitty at best...

Now I have one of those see-through boxes you mentioned. Works like a charm and is much sturdier than the cable in the picture. I think the switch works, but I'd have to make a double connection with both VGA and composite to check it, and I just can't be bothered right now... lol
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:49 am

do let me know if your double connection works though mate as I had that one and my switch worked fine but the RCA out gave no signal whatsoever

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#9 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 am

DCUltrapro wrote:do let me know if your double connection works though mate as I had that one and my switch worked fine but the RCA out gave no signal whatsoever

Ah, but I do know all outputs work. I thought you wanted me to check if I can switch it on the fly. But yeah, both VGA and composite and phono out work perfectly...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:13 am

nah the thing my last one had trouble with was the video output from RCA, the switch wasn't broken its just that nothing came through to the tv from the RCA leads, VGA was fine.

Anyway the new box does out put a signal via RCA as well as VGA so its perfect its just got a slight loose connection