Dreamcast serial Number question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

jeepattack89
shadow

Dreamcast serial Number question

Post#1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm

I bought a new Dreamcast off ebay and the guy claimed he bought it new at Circut city back in the day and never used it. Well it looks to be new has all bags and twist ties and manuals but I have question. The serial number on the dreamcast does not match the serial number on the box. Is it normal for that to happen? I emailed him and he claimed he never played it just opened it to check it out and take pictures before selling it on ebay. It also has no volume 1 or 2 generator demo disc and no phone line. It does have a modem installed I checked. It does have a NBA 2k game in a slime plastic case with no art work. He claims that is how it came new. I don't believe that. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Also it says MK-5000 on the box and says year June 2000 on the dreamcast with a circled 1. Anybody have a clue as to if it has been mismatched or did it come this way new :?:

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast serial Number question

Post#2 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

The serial number on the dreamcast does not match the serial number on the box

Check the serial on the console and match it to the one on the Warranty card if it came with one. This mini booklet card should have a barcode serial number sticker identical to the one on the console!

It also has no volume 1 or 2 generator demo disc and no phone line

Major problem here if these aren't there and dude claims NEW.

It does have a NBA 2k game in a slime plastic case with no art work

What the fuck!? and he claims it came with that game like that!!!

Well one things for sure. That DC he sold you ain't new!

EDIT: Wait a sec did you get a web browser disc? can you send a link of this ebay posting for the Dreamcast if you still have access it! I'd just like to know more before conclusions are made of this seller. One this is certain though, it ain't new.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 am

The only possibility in which he could be mistaken is if someone bought that DC, fucked around with the contents and then returned it, but even that doesn't seem likely. My money says the guy is flat out lying.

I wouldn't even bother returning it either, because he'll probably make you pay postage. Instead, file a dispute. That way, you have a chance of getting your money refunded by Paypal at his expense, and you'll still get to keep the console. That'll show the bugger. :P

But yes, AGES is right. you should give us a link to the ended auction page.

jeepattack89
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 am

There is no warranty card I could find either I just checked. Yea I got a web browser disc and it is sealed. The nba 2k game looks unused but it is in a paper sleeve with no art work. I think I said plastic before that was a mistake. I just tried to file a case with ebay and it said this ebay user is no longer a registered user. I clicked on the link for the auction in my email and it said this auction listing has been removed by ebay. What the hell? I guess I got what I got. I guess I will just keep it as a playable dreamcast. I was trying to buy a Brand new Dreamcast to put away and collect it. I don't really feel like calling ebay they are such a pain in the ass to deal with and it will probably get me no where. I hate people that lie like that on ebay. How much can I expect to pay for a new never used Dreamcast? I paid $90 for this one.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 am

well he took you for $90 then...

Does the console look good and clean at least?

Expect to pay triple digits for a brand new Dreamcast console. Like $100 and over for sure.

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#6 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 am

Hmm. Well that confirms it. I'd still call eBay if I were you. I think you have a pretty good chance of getting your money back and a free Dreamcast to boot.

A new Dreamcast will run you down about $100-125. I actually don't recommend buying a brand new Dreamcast. They tend to be model 2s, which are garbage. They are very prone to laser issues. I can tell you that firsthand.

jeepattack89
shadow

Post#7 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 am

I think I will call ebay in the morning. Maybe I can get a refund and I will get it for free. Are the model 2 Dreamcast in the blue boxes? This one is a blue black box and has a 1 with a circle on the bottom of the console. Says june 2000. Is this the model 2 with a bad lasor? I would like to buy a new dreamcast to just put away and collect it. I want an american model. And I would like the first model I guess since that would be the most collectible model I right?Should I look for a white box? Those are model 1's? This dreamcast looks really clean. I think it might of been played some as I did see a little dirt on a foot. Nothing really but it is not new thats for sure. I have always been a Sega fan and The Sega Saturn and The Sega Dreamcast are my favorite consoles. Dreamcast being #1 on the list followed by Saturn at #2. I don't know as much as I should about the systems even know I played them both a lot. I know there were a lot of variants in Japan and Europe.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 am

Yes rev 2's are packaged in blue/black boxes but so a rev 1's. The rev 1 models are the most common (yet also one of the most reliable) so they can be found in either packaging box.

You have a rev 1 model there.

I own a brand new one myself but intend to keep it!

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#9 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 am

Definitely call eBay.

Yes, the model 2's were in the blue/black boxes. The encircled 1, however, means that it's a model 1. That unit is probably quite reliable. A properly boxed model 0 will come in a box with an orangy Dreamcast on it, with a white highlight on the left side. A model 1 can come in either, as AGES says. The earlier ones, I'd figure, are more collectable, but they're also likely to be more expensive.

jeepattack89
shadow

Post#10 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Called ebay they told me to file a case. I told them I tried that and told them what happened saying the user is no longer registered and that they have deleted all his auctions. They told me since he was no longer a member of ebay there was nothing they could do. They said it was now up to me to personally go after the guy and try and contact the local authorities. Lol what a joke. I will just leave it as it is and enjoy what I have. It is just like new. I wonder if I bought a generator demo and a new phone cord if it that would count as making it complete? whats your opinions should I even bother or just leave it as is. Dam Ebay lol