Dreamcast serial Number question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Alec1382
Vagabond

Re: Dreamcast serial Number question

Post#11 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:42 pm

jeepattack89 wrote:Called ebay they told me to file a case. I told them I tried that and told them what happened saying the user is no longer registered and that they have deleted all his auctions. They told me since he was no longer a member of ebay there was nothing they could do. They said it was now up to me to personally go after the guy and try and contact the local authorities. Lol what a joke. I will just leave it as it is and enjoy what I have. It is just like new. I wonder if I bought a generator demo and a new phone cord if it that would count as making it complete? whats your opinions should I even bother or just leave it as is. Dam Ebay lol

What fucking morons. I certainly wouldn't back down at that point, but I can see why many people might. Sometimes you just get a bad customer service representative. I've had vastly different experiences on the same issue based on which representative happened to take me off hold. But anyway, sorry you got stuck in such a shitty situation.

In my opinion, if you wanted to make it really and truly complete, you'd not only need the Generator and a phone cord of matching length, but also the manual, all promotional leaflets, and the internal packaging. But different people have different standards on this matter.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:59 pm

In my opinion, if you wanted to make it really and truly complete, you'd not only need the Generator and a phone cord of matching length, but also the manual, all promotional leaflets, and the internal packaging. But different people have different standards on this matter.

Quite right. Don't get cought on all the lil details. You got what need to get ur game on with the Dreamcast right, so instead of bothering with such trinkets that won't do much for your DC experience, use that money on more games, or better yet a VGA adapter ;)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#13 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Did you pay with PayPal?...

If yes, file a claim with them. If no, you're fucked...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#14 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:Did you pay with PayPal?...

eBay and Paypal are owned by the same people. I'm not sure it'll make a difference. It still might, though, since the payment should still be in the transaction records.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#15 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Alec1382 wrote:
elmagicochrisg wrote:Did you pay with PayPal?...

eBay and Paypal are owned by the same people. I'm not sure it'll make a difference. It still might, though, since the payment should still be in the transaction records.

There you go. You answered your own question. Kinda... :lol:

In case he paid with PayPal he should be able to file the claim from that page...

jeepattack89
shadow

Post#16 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 pm

When I try and file with paypal it just takes me back to a ebay page and the same things happen. I tried that to. It's ok I guess. It looks like I have all the paperwork including the manual except a warranty card. It's all in the plastic bag. At least I think it's all there except the warranty card. Maybe if someone didn't mind you could go through whats in the bag and I can check. It has the cardboard tray the Dreamcast sits in to. The dreamcast is in a plastic bag looks original and the controller is in a bag to with a twsit tie. Same as the av cord and power cord. All in bags with twist ties. But I can tell the cords were used and then repacked back up. They just don't have the tight wound look and you can tell. I think it is packed right but not sure how it originally looked when packaged new. The only things missing and not right I think is it's missing the warranty card, generator demo disk and the modem phone cord. And of course the NBA 2k game is in there along with the web browser wrapped in plastic. The NBA game is in a white paper sleeve with no artwork or instructions I have no idea where it came from. I think the Dreamcast has been used but does not look like much use. It looks like new really after I wiped the feet off there was a little dirt there. I do have a good used system but not new like a paid for. I have another Dreamcast I play. I was looking to buy a new one and put it away and see if it climbs in value some day. But ended up with a slightly used system instead. Almost forgot does anybody here have a new sega Dreamcast? If so could you look through the box window and see if the Serial number on the Dreamcast matches the serial number on the box?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:28 pm

I was looking to buy a new one and put it away and see if it climbs in value some day

Foolish move son. Dreamcasts are a plenty preowned and to top things off the hardware is super affordable in such state. There is no real demand for a new Dreamcast unless someone has an agenda similar to yours lol! I have a new one simply because I got it at a very reasonable price (mind you this was in 05). And I agree what Alec, much of the new DC's out there are usually the final batches that were made which means they are model 2's. I wouldn't invest on such subpar revision. I recently purchased a new Dreamcast Smashpack variant. Little did I know until I got it that such variant is packed with a rev2. I was lucky though. I was able to salvage the unit without the need to change parts.

Maybe if someone didn't mind you could go through whats in the bag and I can check

It varies depending on when you purchased your DC but for the most part you should get the following in the baggy...
-Dreamcast Owners manual
-Dreamcast Warraty Card mini book with attached serial number sticker that matches unit
-A single page with Sega customers Service numbers as well as additional info
-A mini pamphlet promoting ODCM with a subscription card for said magazine.
Sidenote: while no on the baggy, other paper work which may or may not be within the contents of the box are...
-ESRB guide (small single paper the size of a game manual)
- Sega Net promo card
Last edited by CD AGES on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 pm

jeepattack89 wrote:When I try and file with paypal it just takes me back to a ebay page and the same things happen. I tried that to. It's ok I guess.

That's weird. I just tested it out and opened a dispute through PayPal. Not once was I redirected to eBay. I just opened the dispute, then filed a claim, no worries. Of course I immediately closed the dispute and apologized to the seller...

Used Yamatoku to try it out... :P

Go to PayPal. Scroll down and search the transaction. Open the transaction page. Scroll down all the way. Click on the blue 'Resolution center' link. Mark 'item dispute' and click continue. Mark 'yes' under the 'Did you receive a package from the seller?' question and click continue. Mark 'I received this item but it is significantly not as described.' and click continue. Provide additional information and click continue. Done...

jeepattack89
shadow

Post#19 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:59 pm

elmagicochrisg I think the problem is because my seller is no longer a registered member of ebay. Your seller is a member. You would have to try that again with a sale you did with a member who is now no longer a registered ebay user. Going be hard to simulate. I have other news. I have a private email from the seller and I emailed him and he responded just a few minutes ago. I asked him why he is no longer a registered user and he said he called ebay and had them CLOSE his account. He said he told them he was sick of dealing with people like me who are never happy. He also insist that he bought the system brand new at circut city and that it is just the way it came new when he got it. He then went on to say that he did use the system 2 or 3 times just to test the system to make sure it worked like it should before selling it. He says the system is new he just tested it and put everything back just how it was. Get this here is the best part. I asked him why there was a NBA 2k game in the box instead of generator demo disk and he said "This dreamcast was a sports edition dreamcast only offered by circut city" I forgot to ask about the phone cord missing. I only know of one sports edition dreamcast and it was black not white like this one lol. So the smashpack is a model 2? I wonder if the real sports edition black Dreamcast is a model 2 also? I was interested in both too.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#20 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 am

jeepattack89 wrote:You would have to try that again with a sale you did with a member who is now no longer a registered ebay user. Going be hard to simulate.

Indeed... :lol:

I take it you at least tried my steps?...

EDIT I thought you could also file a dispute for non-eBay items. So not being able to open a dispute because of eBay doesn't make sense to me. Unless I'm missing something of course... ... ... No wait, I opened a dispute for a non-registered eBayer just a few weeks ago, and won too by the way. So yes, you should still be able to file a dispute / claim regardless of the fact that he is no longer a member...
Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.