Dreamcast GD reading problem..

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Dreamcast GD reading problem..

Post#1 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Okay, so I have two Dreamcast consoles out of the 20 odd that I own that have developed a fault when it comes to reading discs.

This isn't anything to do with the lid, nor the lid detector inside the machine, nor it would seem is it the laser itself. The disc will start to spin and then gradually just stop much like it's giving it one puff of juice and giving up, anyone else know about how to sort this annoying error?

Can the GD drive be saved by soldering in a new spindle motor or is it more serious? I figure I can use my other Dreamcast consoles but I don't like to scrap retro consoles due to increased rarity.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast GD reading problem..

Post#2 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Wait! You own or have owned over 20 Dreamcast consoles that have all busted on you!?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Post#3 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:08 am

No, no, no.... I have 20 consoles in total, 18 working ones and two with the above error. I was saying I could use one of these systems but I'd sooner repair the ones the have gone wrong.

Any one help at all?
https://youtu.be/XcyBq8vZ3Yg <----- Dreamcast gameplay videos

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#4 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Sigh, it's like I'm stuck in a time loop...

It's the lens, not the motor. The motor will stop spinning after a few seconds if the laser is not strong enough. The motor will spin at insane speeds when the laser is too strong. So your laser is the problem, not the motor. Only thing you can do is pot tweak the laser. In this case a small turn to the right should do the trick. With a small turn I mean like one or 2 degrees of a full turn. Which means you can barely touch the pot. Best thing is to use a multimeter, measure the initial resistance, and then go from there...

WARNING !!! Do not turn the pot too much too the right, or you will burn the laser out!...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)