Dreamcast Fishing Rod Woes

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

williamesmith718
noob

Dreamcast Fishing Rod Woes

Post#1 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am

Hi All,

I recently picked up a DC fishing rod controller in a system lot and had a hankering to try Bass Fishing and Marine fishing.

Unfortunately the controller (though it is nearly new in box and looks well kept) doesn't seem to work at all. No button response, nothing from the analog stick. Thinking the controller was the problem, I purchased a second one but still no dice.

At this point I've tried 2 different controllers on 2 different dreamcasts. I tried the controllers both in ports 1 and 2 (with a standard controller in the 2nd player port as described in the manual). I've connected with the cord extension and without. I tried two different fishing games (both clean, one was sealed) as well as Soul Calibur. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong? I googled and looked around the forums a bit don't see anyone else with the problem.

Can anyone help? I've never wanted to fish this badly in my entire life.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Both controllers are first party. All the devices + games involved are US NTSC. It's possible some component in the controllers is fried or worn out. I'd like to rule out user or connection error before I buy yet another one though. I am using the DC through the VGA box but (since the fishing games both display) I can imagine that's causing the problem. I can also control the games with a standard controller.

Will
My collection page on gametz: http://gametz.com/user/wsmith718.html

williamesmith718
noob

Re: Dreamcast Fishing Rod Woes

Post#2 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

SOLVED! When using a fishing rod controller you need to have a standard controller plugged into the 2nd port for game saves. I was using a 3rd party Interact Quantum Fighterpad in the 2nd port and it turns out that was causing the problems. Switched to a standard DC controller and the fishing rod works! Now for some Soul Calibur.

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#3 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:29 am

Strange. Sorry we couldn't be of more help. I wanted to post a reply, but it baffled me just as much as you.

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#4 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am

Alec1382 wrote:Strange. Sorry we couldn't be of more help. I wanted to post a reply, but it baffled me just as much as you.

Same here... lol

Anyways, now we know... ^^
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes! Keep 3rd party DC accessories to a minimum. Thats the real lesson here.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh my god, the quantum fighter pad is so awful.