Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Re: Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Post#11 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

All the write speed stuff is a complete myth. The data isn't being burned to the disc in a different way. It's always the same 0s and 1s. The write speed is literally just that; the write speed. It's not somehow changing the "read speed." Your write speed should match the speed your discs are rated for. If you have 52x discs, burn at 52x. This results in the fewest errors.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Sonic Adventure Self-booting Backup not working

Post#12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 am

Comrade Snarky wrote:All the write speed stuff is a complete myth. The data isn't being burned to the disc in a different way. It's always the same 0s and 1s. The write speed is literally just that; the write speed. It's not somehow changing the "read speed." Your write speed should match the speed your discs are rated for. If you have 52x discs, burn at 52x. This results in the fewest errors.

i agree, though this is true there are other things to consider about write speed. such as age of hardware, quality of burning hardware (CDs etc) and type of file being burned. having a higher burn speed could make a coaster, but i doubt it will do anything to increase load times. there are things that can be done to speed up reading in some cases, but that involves making dummy files and such and not burning the games at slower speeds.

the only thing i use to hear about burning speeds of DC games is that if you decrease the write speed the possibility of errors in goes down. i have personally wrote many at 8x to 40sh and they seemed to be good to me.